Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if there are tweaks you can make to the driving settings to get more range if doing a long drive??
Most important is to pre heat the battery before you leave, do it whilst plugged in so it uses the mains electricity. Also, light acceleration and low top speeds make a big difference, driving near 80mph will give dramatically less range than 70mph.

Also warm weather makes a big difference, if you do all the above on a summer day I think 300 miles will be possible with this larger battery the Ys now have.

Only negative is the real range achieved versus the range displayed.

My prediction is you will get used to that. General recommendation is to change to Percentage display instead of miles. I figure to get about 3 miles per Percent (if I need an off-top-of-my-head number to know if I have enough range).

Makes we nervous about when we want to go on a long journey
Use ABetterRoutePlanner for your long trip. Choose your car model (it will remember that) and put in Start Location and Destination (which might be back at the start) and all the way-points. ABetterRoutePlanner will tell you where you will need to charge and how long you will have to wait. IME its consumption figures for e.g. motorway are spot on

In Winter you will need to CONFIG the expected temperature, allow for Wind, if the road is likely to be wet, and an allowance for weight of passengers and luggage. Wet roads is definitely a consumption problem (only time I have nearly run out was unexpected torrential summer thunderstorms along the whole length of a 100 mile journey), but other than that Temperature makes the most difference, and putting in 5 MPH wind is probably sufficient for general-contingency. I've made that sound more complicated than it actually is in practice.

You can then change if you will depart with 100% from start-location (or any way-point, e.g. overnight stop with charging), and you can require that you arrive with a minimum (e.g. you want to arrive at a stop-over with enough to do some sightseeing / running around.

I recommend using ABetterRoutePlanner to test out known long journeys that you do - visiting Family etc. - so you know what to anticipate - e.g. a 20 minute stop for charging which you wouldn't have done with ICE.

That would also give you some confidence about what the actual "total motorway range is". If you leave at 100% you will want to charge around 10% (30 miles contingency), and that would presume that there is a perfectly placed charging location !! You will then only want to charge up to 80% because above that is much slower. So you initial leg would be 90% range, and each top up after that (on a journey across Europe, for example) would be 70% of range (i.e. charge from 10% to 80%) and be about a 20 minute stop. M3 / MY LR should give you about 250 miles total motorway range, so 70% would be about 2.5 hours driving at 70 MPH, which is a pretty good interval to have a break anyway

Most important is to pre heat the battery before you leave, do it whilst plugged in so it uses the mains electricity. Also, light acceleration and low top speeds make a big difference, driving near 80mph will give dramatically less range than 70mph.

Also warm weather makes a big difference, if you do all the above on a summer day I think 300 miles will be possible with this larger battery the Ys now have.
All good tips, didn’t realise that pre-heating the battery would make a difference. Thanks

Reactions: teaston
My prediction is you will get used to that. General recommendation is to change to Percentage display instead of miles. I figure to get about 3 miles per Percent (if I need an off-top-of-my-head number to know if I have enough range).

Use ABetterRoutePlanner for your long trip. Choose your car model (it will remember that) and put in Start Location and Destination (which might be back at the start) and all the way-points. ABetterRoutePlanner will tell you where you will need to charge and how long you will have to wait. IME its consumption figures for e.g. motorway are spot on

In Winter you will need to CONFIG the expected temperature, allow for Wind, if the road is likely to be wet, and an allowance for weight of passengers and luggage. Wet roads is definitely a consumption problem (only time I have nearly run out was unexpected torrential summer thunderstorms along the whole length of a 100 mile journey), but other than that Temperature makes the most difference, and putting in 5 MPH wind is probably sufficient for general-contingency. I've made that sound more complicated than it actually is in practice.

You can then change if you will depart with 100% from start-location (or any way-point, e.g. overnight stop with charging), and you can require that you arrive with a minimum (e.g. you want to arrive at a stop-over with enough to do some sightseeing / running around.

I recommend using ABetterRoutePlanner to test out known long journeys that you do - visiting Family etc. - so you know what to anticipate - e.g. a 20 minute stop for charging which you wouldn't have done with ICE.

That would also give you some confidence about what the actual "total motorway range is". If you leave at 100% you will want to charge around 10% (30 miles contingency), and that would presume that there is a perfectly placed charging location !! You will then only want to charge up to 80% because above that is much slower. So you initial leg would be 90% range, and each top up after that (on a journey across Europe, for example) would be 70% of range (i.e. charge from 10% to 80%) and be about a 20 minute stop. M3 / MY LR should give you about 250 miles total motorway range, so 70% would be about 2.5 hours driving at 70 MPH, which is a pretty good interval to have a break anyway

Again, thank you! Steep learning curve this electric car business. Will read up on this and try abetterrouteplanner

P.S. Once you have destination in SatNav then you can look at the consumption graph (i.e. the TRIP tab).

That will show a graph (in grey) of the original prediction, and a line in Green, as your drive, showing what your actual consumption has been and a prediction of what you will arrive with. If you have plenty (e.g. more than 20% on arrival) then speed up, if you don't then slow down. If arrival is looking critical then slow down to 50 MPH and get behind a big truck (you don't have to be close to it, so a "safe distance" is fine). That will dramatically change your consumption. Speed up again when destination is close enough, and arrival predication gives you confidence.

Speeding up (if that is your thing) is fine, up to at least 90 MPH. The driving time saved on the journey will be more than the additional time to charge up (assuming Supercharger charging speed) the extra "fuel" used.

If the road is wet you will have to push all that water out of the way, all the way along your route. Slowing down doesn't help - although that will dramatically improve the aerodynamic benefit, you will still have to push exactly the same about of miles-of-water out of the way, so beware of that.

Reactions: Considered1
put acceleration mode into chill, it will even affect the autopilot acceleration rate.

I don't find that makes a noticeable difference, if I'm on the motorway, because the car is "cruising" for the majority of the journey. (I also think its a pity there is no kick-down in Chill mode, because one day I just might need that)

On A-Roads it probably would, but I am rarely on a range-challenged journey on A-Roads, and on days when I'm not range-challenged I'm happy just to press on, and fill back up when I get home.

I don't find that makes a noticeable difference, if I'm on the motorway, because the car is "cruising" for the majority of the journey. (I also think its a pity there is no kick-down in Chill mode, because one day I just might need that)

On A-Roads it probably would, but I am rarely on a range-challenged journey on A-Roads, and on days when I'm not range-challenged I'm happy just to press on, and fill back up when I get home.
On a motorways maybe, but on dual carriageways with roundabouts every so often it does.

And usually your starting location and destination are not right next to the motorway.

Speaking for myself:

If my journey is tight (and I have charging available on arrival) I'll drive economically to avoid having to stop (apart from charging time there is, say, 5 minutes to get off the motorway and back on again). In UK Roadworks and Traffic may well slow me down, such that my range is better than expected anyway.

If my journey is longer and I have to charge anyway then I don't care how much - drive faster (and save time) and have longer charging time (but shorter overall).

There is a cost consideration to charging-longer at public chargers of course.

Either way, at 80 MPH on continental Motorways, my 100% - 10% range is 2h45m which is as long as I want to drive a leg anyway; The only long distance drive-charge-drive-charge journeys I do are on the Continent and placement of Superchargers means that average leg is 1h30m, the only legs over 2 hours have been once back in the UK and traffic and roadworks hold me up! and of course average speed is then much lower, and range is further

Long journeys charge every two hours