Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long journeys charge every two hours
That's my only range calculation on long motorway journeys. Forget the range in miles just aim to stop every 2 hours. Its much better for you and safer for everyone else. I've had 3 model 3's and am waiting for a Model Y and this is my mantra. When I had my big ICE cars, I used to try to complete journeys without refills, much less stressed now.

Finally got my Final Invoice, confirmation of VIN and registration number on invoice. Collect on 23rd from Bluewater. I was a 7.00 am 15th October customer, who couldn't collect on 17th February. At last, but my lasting memory this time is "if you can't take delivery we won't send you to the back of the queue"
I will not forget when Tesla opens up Superchargers to everybody in the UK. It remains the only valid reason to buy another Tesla.

Reactions: kcrane and foxtru
Currently on a road trip around Ireland in our Y, left London on Tuesday and have done a good few charges. A crash course in EV life, but what else will get you accustomed quickly?

Superchargers conveniently everywhere on route so far, including in Ireland, maybe a few minutes detour max. ESB have a good amount of fast chargers here too, first one planned for a stop tomorrow. Tried a BP chargemaster in Holyhead which was a joke, luckily found a 120Kw Gridserve charger at the port before we boarded. In my 2 weeks of EV use it’s clear Superchargers are years ahead of the competition in terms of getting you charged and back on the road quickly.

Our hotel near Dublin had a load of superchargers installed but not yet active which was unlucky, a couple of weeks away apparently (Johnstown Estate).

Been planning with ABRP which is mostly accurate, realistically we’re getting 240 ish miles of range and I’m stopping every couple of hours to charge from 20-80% as we are relying on the public network for 95% of this trip. The ‘Arrival SoC’ feature on ABRP really helps, meaning we can have a good reserve of range when we arrive somewhere for an overnight stay and can push on the next day before having to top up. Weather isn’t great, lots of wind and rain, so have to give some allowances there but the biggest adjustment for me from ICE is the unpredictable range based on these factors. The auto wipers are terrible with road spray, have to constantly manually activate the wipers so It doesn’t look like I’m driving through a car wash. Otherwise great car for the road trip.

Last edited:
Currently on a road trip around Ireland in our Y, left London on Tuesday and have done a good few charges. A crash course in EV life, but what else will get you accustomed quickly?

Superchargers conveniently everywhere on route so far, including in Ireland, maybe a few minutes detour max. ESB have a good amount of fast chargers here too, first one planned for a stop tomorrow. Tried a BP chargemaster in Holyhead which was a joke, luckily found a 120Kw Gridserve charger at the port before we boarded. In my 2 weeks of EV use it’s clear Superchargers are years ahead of the competition in terms of getting you charged and back on the road quickly.

Our hotel near Dublin had a load of superchargers installed but not yet active which was unlucky, a couple of weeks away apparently (Johnstown Estate).

Been planning with ABRP which is mostly accurate, realistically we’re getting 240 ish miles of range and I’m stopping every couple of hours to charge from 20-80% as we are relying on the public network for 95% of this trip. The ‘Arrival SoC’ feature on ABRP really helps, meaning we can have a good reserve of range when we arrive somewhere for an overnight stay and can push on the next day before having to top up. Weather isn’t great, lots of wind and rain, so have to give some allowances there but the biggest adjustment for me from ICE is the unpredictable range based on these factors. Also the auto wipers are terrible with road spray, have to constantly manually activate the wipers so It doesn’t look like I’m driving through a car wash. Otherwise great car for the road trip.
Also not being able to warm the battery before leaving in the morning easily kills 5% battery in the first 5-10 minutes of driving, which I’m trying to account for in the Arrival SoC need

Finally got my Final Invoice, confirmation of VIN and registration number on invoice. Collect on 23rd from Bluewater. I was a 7.00 am 15th October customer, who couldn't collect on 17th February. At last, but my lasting memory this time is "if you can't take delivery we won't send you to the back of the queue"
I will not forget when Tesla opens up Superchargers to everybody in the UK. It remains the only valid reason to buy another Tesla.
You get a new reg I suppose…so there is that. But a 5 week delay for not being able to collect is harsh. I ordered a few weeks ago and get mine on the same day as you.

The way I think about it…. let Tesla ride on this wave of indifference now… it won’t always be like this for them. Selling ever car they build won’t last forever. Once significant queues start building up at superchargers, people will definitely think twice. I’m already wondering if I will swap my Y for an id buzz haha

Reactions: roadcred
Selling ever car they build won’t last forever

Whilst I agree with you, I've been hearing that for 7 years ... and in that time service has got worse and worse.

2015 - Car covered in a sheet with a TaDa! whip-off . One-to-one handover for an hour or more, car fully charged. Left my house keys in that when I traded it in (Pillock!). They had someone drive to my house (2 hours) to drop them off.

M3 collection was like the start of Le Mons - cars lined up in Heathrow handover hanger, 200-ish a day to cram them in for the quarter-end. PowerPoint presentation to a group of people, so only the Presenter and the Tablet handover-guy.

MY collection at Bluewater. A rickety table in a multi-storey concrete car park for the two hand over guys. 30% charge. PowerPoint is history ... paperwork was a complete shambles and other significant hassles with trade-in

Whilst I agree with you, I've been hearing that for 7 years ... and in that time service has got worse and worse.

2015 - Car covered in a sheet with a TaDa! whip-off . One-to-one handover for an hour or more, car fully charged. Left my house keys in that when I traded it in (Pillock!). They had someone drive to my house (2 hours) to drop them off.

M3 collection was like the start of Le Mons - cars lined up in Heathrow handover hanger, 200-ish a day to cram them in for the quarter-end. PowerPoint presentation to a group of people, so only the Presenter and the Tablet handover-guy.

MY collection at Bluewater. A rickety table in a multi-storey concrete car park for the two hand over guys. 30% charge. PowerPoint is history ... paperwork was a complete shambles and other significant hassles with trade-in
Maybe I'm in the minority but I've never cared for handovers. After you've dropped ridiculous amount of money and over-researched the sh*t out of the car for 6 months... I just feel like saying to the dealer...

53697461.jpg

Thankfully joining this forum after ordering has managed my expectations for collection. Landrover always made it personal and ‘special’ whether it was new or used but I already know that I’ll be ushered into a badly lit tent in Manchester with 20 other cars and find it myself like it was a hire car I was looking for. On a positive note, at least Tesla could get me a car before 2023 and with everything going on in the world the moment, I feel lucky to be in the position I am. What hassle did you have with your trade-in out of interest?

Reactions: Helguson17
Last handover for my 3 was at Leeds. Each car rammed as close to the next as possible. Barely open the door. I’ve experience how crap it is. Y is being picked up from Newcastle. Although this time I have extremely high expectations that they might help swap over the number plate frame from by 3 to Y. I want to keep the ‘all wheel drive’. Fully expecting to be told to go away. As for them fitting the locking wheels nuts, I would probably get thrown out and barred.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I've never cared for handovers
Me too. handover cost must be baked into the price, and if I don't need it I don't want to pay for it!

I've had very mediocre Dealer Staff in the past ... and also some excellent ones. Sometimes they have known less about the car than me ... I remember going to Renault garage to look at an Espace. The specific thing we wanted was removable seats. Asking for a demo Sales person said "They are a big job to get out" and didn't make any attempt to show us. We went to another dealership and actually getting the seats in and out was a bit awkward, because they were chunky, but was sufficiently trivial and we did it all the time. Lost sale to first dealership ...

When I got the MS back in 2015 everything about it was "foreign", so the handover was helpful.

When I got the M3 the Group Powerpoint seemed sensible. Trainer trained to give the presentation, so likely to be consistent the world over. Also the group-presentation meant that if someone asked a good question everyone else got to hear the answer too.

Maybe nowadays all the OEM YouTubes are sufficient pre-collection and anything else is a waste - the OEM videos are definitely going to be 100% the same for all collectors!

Very poor washing techniques have been applied. .
My car from there on Tues is covered in what feels like tree sap of sorts (it’s not but it’s a hard rough feel over the entire car).
My valet guys came to clean it and said it needed some hard graft to get it back to what it should be. They did a section of bonnet for me that is now glass smooth as it should be. The rest is rough in finish. If you run your hand over the paint work it should be glass smooth but on mine it’s a fine rough finish.

It’s not a service repair as such but maybe £100 of valet charges which is annoying to get it back to what it should have been on delivery. Hard to show in a photo but a video or running your hand or a cloth over it you can hear the rough sound as it moves from the glass finish they corrected to the rough finish as delivered.

Ps everything else about the car I love! (Not to sound down in this post).

Reactions: hairysteve
My car from there on Tues is covered in what feels like tree sap of sorts (it’s not but it’s a hard rough feel over the entire car).
My valet guys came to clean it and said it needed some hard graft to get it back to what it should be. They did a section of bonnet for me that is now glass smooth as it should be. The rest is rough in finish. If you run your hand over the paint work it should be glass smooth but on mine it’s a fine rough finish.

It’s not a service repair as such but maybe £100 of valet charges which is annoying to get it back to what it should have been on delivery. Hard to show in a photo but a video or running your hand or a cloth over it you can hear the rough sound as it moves from the glass finish they corrected to the rough finish as delivered.

Ps everything else about the car I love! (Not to sound down in this post).
Sounds like overspray.