Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The benefit is if the replacement battery has higher energy density. The oldest Leafs can be fitted with a newer battery (relatively easily - unplug the old, plug the new in :) - if rather expensively) and get a huge increase in range (and of course get back the degradation that Leaf's are notorious for)

Whether that will be a thing for cars such as Tesla that have a much greater range battery I think is debateable. When I changed mine I went from 250 to 300 (true motorway) mile range - and sticker-price was 20% less too :) I'm happy with 300 mile range, I have very few out-and-back UK journeys that need more, so whereas my Supercharge usage was a couple of days a month now it is only for longer trips - i.e. exceeding 300 miles - typically journeys which are drive-charge-drive-charge

Higher density batteries will have less weight (for a given range), so if the replacement is "same kWh" it will have more range due to less weight.

But batteries are very expensive, so I'm sceptical there will be demand (unless the battery is knackered for some reason). Battery will be good for 150K miles, probably stretch to 200K miles with perhaps a tolerable amount of degradation ... by which time the rest of the car is going to pretty old / worn, so in most cases the car may well be pretty knackered by then. Lifetime cycles of batteries is increasing - next generation will be million-mile - maybe the need will be for a replacement frame, rather than replacing the battery!

All very interesting. (Probably hijacked the thread a bit here, so apologies). Yes it would be lighter and hence improved range (and cheaper for Tesla!) - forgot about that. And, as you say probably largely irrelevant, as the rest of the car will be pretty "tired" by then. I was kind of thinking about what happens if the battery has an issue that means it needs to be replaced and it was just out of the Y's 8 year warranty. There could be a fair few low mileage users whose cars aren't thrashed about like 150,000 mile Rep-mobiles and only do 5,000 miles a year. Would it be considerably more expensive to replace if it was a structural battery instead of the current on one the Y? I'm just kind of pondering the thought and don't really have any knowledge about it.

You say you replaced a battery already. What model was that on? an S? and can you explain a bit about what happened and why it needed replacing? Was it under warranty or not?

Thanks in advance.

All very interesting. (Probably hijacked the thread a bit here, so apologies). Yes it would be lighter and hence improved range (and cheaper for Tesla!) - forgot about that. And, as you say probably largely irrelevant, as the rest of the car will be pretty "tired" by then. I was kind of thinking about what happens if the battery has an issue that means it needs to be replaced and it was just out of the Y's 8 year warranty. There could be a fair few low mileage users whose cars aren't thrashed about like 150,000 mile Rep-mobiles and only do 5,000 miles a year. Would it be considerably more expensive to replace if it was a structural battery instead of the current on one the Y? I'm just kind of pondering the thought and don't really have any knowledge about it.

You say you replaced a battery already. What model was that on? an S? and can you explain a bit about what happened and why it needed replacing? Was it under warranty or not?

Thanks in advance.
Battery or car?

Replacing the battery on a model Y with the existing battery; compared to replacing the battery on the Model Y with the new "structural battery" when they start producing them for the UK market.
I get that.
What I'm wondering is if, in his post, he meant that he had upgraded the battery or changed his car eg an S or an X for a longer range S or X. Say a 75 to a 90.

Hello everyone, 1st post here with a blue/white/19"/EAP MYLR ordered towards the end of April & a theoretical EDD of Sept - it's with Lex so I can't track the RN number. But I know it may be heresy to mention it in this forum, I also have a EV6 GTLine-S AWD (top spec) on order too. That was placed in late Dec 21 with an original EDD of April/May but that, due to all the reasons we know so well, has been pushed to maybe 4Q, maybe 1Q23 - which is why I also ordered the MY. I've driven both several times, and I thought I'd summarise my subjective +/- of each
Tesla + : space everywhere, practicality, straight line speed, phone entry, Supercharger network before it was opened to all, sound system, OTA updates
Tesla - : ordering "experience", lack of service centres (my nearest in any direction is an hour away), delivery "experience" no Car Play or AA, no HUD, no parcel shelf, no matrix lights, slightly dodgy handling
Kia + : HUD, regular instruments (this I think is going to be important to Mrs B), opening sunroof, neat handling, well sorted ride, Car Play & AA (although not wireless), parcel shelf, quieter, dealer is 15 mins away with highly personal service
Kia - : relatively small boot & miniscule "froot" especially vs the car's size, no OTA updates (yet), a bit slower that the MY in a straight line, no "white" option to lighten the interior, approx 20-30 miles less range than the MY

Reactions: Markee68 and ElsDee
Hello everyone, 1st post here with a blue/white/19"/EAP MYLR ordered towards the end of April & a theoretical EDD of Sept - it's with Lex so I can't track the RN number. But I know it may be heresy to mention it in this forum, I also have a EV6 GTLine-S AWD (top spec) on order too. That was placed in late Dec 21 with an original EDD of April/May but that, due to all the reasons we know so well, has been pushed to maybe 4Q, maybe 1Q23 - which is why I also ordered the MY. I've driven both several times, and I thought I'd summarise my subjective +/- of each
Tesla + : space everywhere, practicality, straight line speed, phone entry, Supercharger network before it was opened to all, sound system, OTA updates
Tesla - : ordering "experience", lack of service centres (my nearest in any direction is an hour away), delivery "experience" no Car Play or AA, no HUD, no parcel shelf, no matrix lights, slightly dodgy handling
Kia + : HUD, regular instruments (this I think is going to be important to Mrs B), opening sunroof, neat handling, well sorted ride, Car Play & AA (although not wireless), parcel shelf, quieter, dealer is 15 mins away with highly personal service
Kia - : relatively small boot & miniscule "froot" especially vs the car's size, no OTA updates (yet), a bit slower that the MY in a straight line, no "white" option to lighten the interior, approx 20-30 miles less range than the MY
I drove an Ioniq 5 and an EV 6 yesterday, would agree with all that, both smoother ride than the Y on the same road. Ioniq 5 was the bottom of the range and still felt fast enough.

Reactions: ElsDee
Replacing the battery on a model Y with the existing battery; compared to replacing the battery on the Model Y with the new "structural battery" when they start producing them for the UK market.
I drove an Ioniq 5 and an EV 6 yesterday, would agree with all that, both smoother ride than the Y on the same road. Ioniq 5 was the bottom of the range and still felt fast enough.
In spite of being a Tesla fan since 2015 and the Y being something of a bucket list purchase, I felt it only right and proper to investigate the Ioniq 5.

It certainly has a lot going for it. However, even if I had seriously considered buying one in the spec I had seen in the brochure, the fact that UK cars, so the dealer explained, will not be getting the pano glass roof unlike the rest of Europe, put it out of consideration. Maybe I will be disappointed (I doubt it) but my Tesla desire must be assuaged.

Now then....... has our prospective retirement home agreed to put in a wall point yet?

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Really appreciate the review. Have your thought about the driving automation and what is the real life experience from the drives?

In spite of being a Tesla fan since 2015 and the Y being something of a bucket list purchase, I felt it only right and proper to investigate the Ioniq 5.

It certainly has a lot going for it. However, even if I had seriously considered buying one in the spec I had seen in the brochure, the fact that UK cars, so the dealer explained, will not be getting the pano glass roof unlike the rest of Europe, put it out of consideration. Maybe I will be disappointed (I doubt it) but my Tesla desire must be assuaged.

Now then....... has our prospective retirement home agreed to put in a wall point yet?
Lack of glass roof is a downer I agree.

Don’t think there are any blue cars in Q2? I’ve just been pushed to Sept 5 - Oct 20!! From an initial May-Jun. Then clear end Jun etc. Cash buyer with FSD optioned ordered online direct with Tesla mid-March
Ordered 2 March. I am not sure if it's red paint or white seats that are in short supply?:)

Now then...what was it Mr Ford said (or is reputed to have said) `"Any colour you like as long as it's black".
Both Henry and Elon have made the most significant contributions to the motor car since it's invention. The Model T was launched when his daughter Mercedes, was just a twinkle in inventor Dr Benze's eye.

Don’t think there are any blue cars in Q2? I’ve just been pushed to Sept 5 - Oct 20!! From an initial May-Jun. Then clear end Jun etc. Cash buyer with FSD optioned ordered online direct with Tesla mid-March

Thought I saw someone post re. getting their VIN but ordered Mar 15th - blue/black I think but can't recall if it was 19s or 20s.
Mar 16th order for me blue/black/20" - pushed to Oct 4-Nov 18 - so always remember, it could be worse 😀

OK some non Tesla advice please. As our Model Y will now be delayed until the end of the year and my naughty diesel Ice is long gone, my wife and I are sharing our Mini Cooper S, range 400 miles on a tank. So the plan is, buy a car to replace the Mini now, but keep the Mini until the Model Y comes along. The replacement just needs to be a 2nd car, but we are not impressed by the range of small EV's and do not want to spend ID3 money. So i feel our best option could be an BMW i3 42.2kWh @ 175 miles which would be ample. Does anyone have any experience of these or can recomend as a 2nd car an EV sub 25k with half decent range please? Many thanks :)

Last edited:
OK some non Tesla advice please. As our Model Y will now be delayed until the end of the year and my naughty diesel Ice is long gone, my wife and I are sharing our Mini Cooper S, range 400 miles on a tank. So the plan is, buy a car to replace the Mini now, but keep the Mini until the Model Y comes along. The replacement just needs to be a 2nd car, but we are not impressed by the range of small EV's and do not want to spend ID3 money. So i feel our best option could be an BMW i3 42.2kWh @ 175 miles which would be ample. Does anyone have any experience of these or can recomend as a 2nd car an EV sub 25k with half decent range please? Many thanks :)
I’d just get a zoe to run around in, the i3 is expensive for what it is, can have crippling problems and crazy service costs

Fairly sure it was announced recently that the 2023 Ioniq 5 in Namsan trim level will have a sunroof but this is still not showing on Hyundai‘s website yet.
It’s not on the configurator, but it’s listed in the downloadable PDF brochure from the UK site.

IONIQ 5 Namsan Edition.
In addition to/replacement of Ultimate:
• Auto Flush Door Handles
• Digital Side Mirrors
• Heat Pump
• PCA (Parking Collision Avoidance)
• Memory Seats (Driver)
• Relaxation Seats (Driver and Passenger)
• RSPA (Remote Parking)
• Vision Roof

2WD £52,845
AWD £56,345

Last edited:
Hello everyone, 1st post here with a blue/white/19"/EAP MYLR ordered towards the end of April & a theoretical EDD of Sept - it's with Lex so I can't track the RN number. But I know it may be heresy to mention it in this forum, I also have a EV6 GTLine-S AWD with a heat pump (top spec) on order too. That was placed in late Dec 21 with an original EDD of April/May but that, due to all the reasons we know so well, has been pushed to maybe 4Q, maybe 1Q23 - which is why I also ordered the MY. I've driven both several times, and I thought I'd summarise my purely subjective +/- of each
Tesla + : space everywhere, practicality, straight line speed, phone entry, Supercharger network before it was opened to all, sound system, OTA updates, acceptable ride
Tesla - : ordering "experience", lack of service centres (my nearest in any direction is an hour away), delivery "experience", no Car Play or AA, no HUD, no parcel shelf, no matrix lights, not great handling
Kia + : HUD, normal & highly customisable controls & instruments, opening sunroof, neat handling, well sorted ride, ultra-fast charging capability, V2L technology, Apple Car Play & AA (although not wireless without a dongle), matrix lights, parcel shelf, quieter, dealer is 15 mins away with highly personal service
Kia - : no battery pre-conditioning prior to charge, less space overall (particularly for tall people), relatively small boot & miniscule "froot" especially vs the car's size, ho-hum sound system, no OTA updates (yet), a bit slower that the MY in a straight line, no "white" option to lighten the interior, approx 20-30 miles less range than the MY, nascent accessories infrastructure

So which is to be - the MY or the EV6? To an extent, it will depend on which turns up first. I have a suspicion that it'll be the EV6 because Kia's ordering system gives far better visibility about when your order goes into production and on to being shipped. There's none of this absurd guessing game of not knowing how many RHD MYs are on which ship, and the lottery of quarter-end allocations to waiting customers. But real my point is that there's some serious competition arriving. Apart from the EV6, I see the BMW iX1 has been announced - that would be a contender for my ££ too & others will follow from manufacturers who understand customer service.

Reflecting further, having been a reader of this (& other) Tesla forums and purely from a non-owner's perspective, there's something of "The Emperor's New Clothes" about the Tesla experience. To me, Elon does not care one jot about his customers as everything about the Tesla customer experience is really, really poor - from the shabby showrooms (and totally energy inefficient btw), to an thoroughly impersonal ordering process, awful collection process (I mean, come on everyone, being forced to go to some god-awful wind-swept industrial park hours away from home to pick up a vehicle with only a 3 day window - how can that EVER be considered acceptable "service" for a £50-60k car?), and poor after-sales service. Tesla evangelists - and I can see there are plenty here - prefer to be blind to these glaring faults. I really struggle to understand why.

Tesla's initial advantages of being a genuine innovator, and bringing something genuinely special to the market (both of which are 100% true) are being gradually eroded by the mainstream manufacturers catching up. For the vast majority of would-be BEV owners, the truth of the current Tesla experience may come as a shock - it did to me. So why do I persist with the order? That's a good question......:oops:😏

Hello everyone, 1st post here with a blue/white/19"/EAP MYLR ordered towards the end of April & a theoretical EDD of Sept - it's with Lex so I can't track the RN number. But I know it may be heresy to mention it in this forum, I also have a EV6 GTLine-S AWD with a heat pump (top spec) on order too. That was placed in late Dec 21 with an original EDD of April/May but that, due to all the reasons we know so well, has been pushed to maybe 4Q, maybe 1Q23 - which is why I also ordered the MY. I've driven both several times, and I thought I'd summarise my purely subjective +/- of each
Tesla + : space everywhere, practicality, straight line speed, phone entry, Supercharger network before it was opened to all, sound system, OTA updates, acceptable ride
Tesla - : ordering "experience", lack of service centres (my nearest in any direction is an hour away), delivery "experience", no Car Play or AA, no HUD, no parcel shelf, no matrix lights, not great handling
Kia + : HUD, normal & highly customisable controls & instruments, opening sunroof, neat handling, well sorted ride, ultra-fast charging capability, V2L technology, Apple Car Play & AA (although not wireless without a dongle), matrix lights, parcel shelf, quieter, dealer is 15 mins away with highly personal service
Kia - : no battery pre-conditioning prior to charge, less space overall (particularly for tall people), relatively small boot & miniscule "froot" especially vs the car's size, ho-hum sound system, no OTA updates (yet), a bit slower that the MY in a straight line, no "white" option to lighten the interior, approx 20-30 miles less range than the MY, nascent accessories infrastructure

So which is to be - the MY or the EV6? To an extent, it will depend on which turns up first. I have a suspicion that it'll be the EV6 because Kia's ordering system gives far better visibility about when your order goes into production and on to being shipped. There's none of this absurd guessing game of not knowing how many RHD MYs are on which ship, and the lottery of quarter-end allocations to waiting customers. But real my point is that there's some serious competition arriving. Apart from the EV6, I see the BMW iX1 has been announced - that would be a contender for my ££ too & others will follow from manufacturers who understand customer service.

Reflecting further, having been a reader of this (& other) Tesla forums and purely from a non-owner's perspective, there's something of "The Emperor's New Clothes" about the Tesla experience. To me, Elon does not care one jot about his customers as everything about the Tesla customer experience is really, really poor - from the shabby showrooms (and totally energy inefficient btw), to an thoroughly impersonal ordering process, awful collection process (I mean, come on everyone, being forced to go to some god-awful wind-swept industrial park hours away from home to pick up a vehicle with only a 3 day window - how can that EVER be considered acceptable "service" for a £50-60k car?), and poor after-sales service. Tesla evangelists - and I can see there are plenty here - prefer to be blind to these glaring faults. I really struggle to understand why.

Tesla's initial advantages of being a genuine innovator, and bringing something genuinely special to the market (both of which are 100% true) are being gradually eroded by the mainstream manufacturers catching up. For the vast majority of would-be BEV owners, the truth of the current Tesla experience may come as a shock - it did to me. So why do I persist with the order? That's a good question......:oops:😏

I can really sympathise with all those waiting for their cars and the only thing to look at is an EDD that keeps changing on a seemingly random basis and conversations with people who know the same or less than you do !

I ordered our Model Y towards the end of October and got it mid Feb. I knew nothing about the order process before, this being our first EV. So that was about 3 and a half months from order to pick up. I was expecting longer to be honest, it being a new model launch in the UK. Maybe I got really lucky, I don't know. In hindsight it certainly seems like it. Ordered, EDD never changed, got car. There were hundreds of others that did the same and got them in a similar time frame.

Covid lockdowns and part supplier logistics/lockdowns and the Berlin opening delay seem to be the main problems causing delays. When everything is working fine, I'm sure we'll be back to more normal delivery timeframes again. This of course is no help to anyone with a car on order. I do think that Tesla could be a lot more forthcoming with information to customers waiting. Even if it is bad news, customers (us) would rather know so they can plan; please keep people informed !

All that said, it seems like there is an extraordinarily long wait for any type of brand new EV ordered at the moment, and all the manufacturers seem to be in the same boat. Is it that demand is so high it's just simply caught all the manufacturers off guard?