Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though the options list for Tesla is Tiny compared to other autos, when you think of all the physical combinations (discounting the Software options), it can still add up.

Colours = 5
Interior = 2
Wheels = 2

5 x 2 x 2 = 20 manufacturing batches (I’m dumb at maths, someone tell me if I’ve got this (calculating combinations) wrong).

So unless you are seeing people with the EXACT match to you, it really is going to be difficult to tell whether there is genuine queue jumping going on.

Lots of people speculate that other factors (such as software options, payment methods, trade ins, location of pickup, whether you’ve made a sacrifice to Elon, etc.) can all have an impact. But I think they try to keep it as simple as possible (and I’m sure in some cases it’s not that easy to keep it simple).

Fwiw, I called today (after calling on Saturday 🙈) and got the same message: wait a few weeks as ships for the UK start departing, they’ll be allocating over the next few weeks so still plenty of hope for us (I’m in the same proverbial boat btw…).
You're already on 20 and you haven't even factored in self-driving modes, different pick-up locations, whether or not there is a trade-in (and if there is, the value), and whether its lease or cash or business etc., I have seen so many posts saying 'someone else who ordered the same after me has got it before me', but I don't think I've yet seen proof of two identical orders where this is true. As far as I'm concerned, if I order direct from Tesla with cash, and someone orders from a lease company after me, and they get it before me, that isn't unfair, their order is different!

Although I do accept it does seem odd if it's true you can get priority just by phoning Tesla and saying you want a cancellation. I think at that point it is unfair and it should just go to the next in-line.

You're already on 20 and you haven't even factored in self-driving modes, different pick-up locations, whether or not there is a trade-in (and if there is, the value), and whether its lease or cash or business etc., I have seen so many posts saying 'someone else who ordered the same after me has got it before me', but I don't think I've yet seen proof of two identical orders where this is true. As far as I'm concerned, if I order direct from Tesla with cash, and someone orders from a lease company after me, and they get it before me, that isn't unfair, their order is different!

Although I do accept it does seem odd if it's true you can get priority just by phoning Tesla and saying you want a cancellation. I think at that point it is unfair and it should just go to the next in-line.
Good points!

Re. the cancellation allocation: I've spoken to two Tesla advisors on Saturday and today, and both times they were very quite to point out that cancellations are auto-assigned (of course, we don't know what is behind the "auto" part - could be an algorithm that takes only same spec + pickup location, or could just be next in RN queue, despite location... etc.). I think they've had many people call up last quarter to get on the "list" that they must've all got a memo not to mention anything of the sort haha.

Trying to exude patience but it IS hard. Hard because I also saw my EXACT spec for the first time in the flesh yesterday while I was at a market in Gypsy Hill and... my god! I am so happy with my choice (I also saw a Grey one on the same street - who woulda thought! - a White one in Soho, and a Black one in Covent Garden over the weekend, all with 20' Inductions and, though they all looked good, I personally feel I've made the right decision for me).

Even though the options list for Tesla is Tiny compared to other autos, when you think of all the physical combinations (discounting the Software options), it can still add up.

Colours = 5
Interior = 2
Wheels = 2

5 x 2 x 2 = 20 manufacturing batches (I’m dumb at maths, someone tell me if I’ve got this (calculating combinations) wrong).

So unless you are seeing people with the EXACT match to you, it really is going to be difficult to tell whether there is genuine queue jumping going on.

Lots of people speculate that other factors (such as software options, payment methods, trade ins, location of pickup, whether you’ve made a sacrifice to Elon, etc.) can all have an impact. But I think they try to keep it as simple as possible (and I’m sure in some cases it’s not that easy to keep it simple).

Fwiw, I called today (after calling on Saturday 🙈) and got the same message: wait a few weeks as ships for the UK start departing, they’ll be allocating over the next few weeks so still plenty of hope for us (I’m in the same proverbial boat btw…).
The sofware EAP and FSD has an impact as its not possible to take it out(easily). So If you have ordered with FSD , they are updated at Shanghai. If a rejection comes, then it will be assigned to someone ordered with FSD option

Reactions: QuanTim and adambg
I have seen that in twitter , this was in combination with a software change introduced with 2022.20 (adaptive suspension) .Think I have also seen that in this forum (company & tech forum ) of TMC
2022.20 introduced automatic air suspension settings. This has exactly nothing to do with any Model Y ever built, or ever likely to be built given no Model Y has air suspension.

Good points!

Re. the cancellation allocation: I've spoken to two Tesla advisors on Saturday and today, and both times they were very quite to point out that cancellations are auto-assigned (of course, we don't know what is behind the "auto" part - could be an algorithm that takes only same spec + pickup location, or could just be next in RN queue, despite location... etc.). I think they've had many people call up last quarter to get on the "list" that they must've all got a memo not to mention anything of the sort haha.

Trying to exude patience but it IS hard. Hard because I also saw my EXACT spec for the first time in the flesh yesterday while I was at a market in Gypsy Hill and... my god! I am so happy with my choice (I also saw a Grey one on the same street - who woulda thought! - a White one in Soho, and a Black one in Covent Garden over the weekend, all with 20' Inductions and, though they all looked good, I personally feel I've made the right decision for me).
Mine was a cancellation which was linked to my order 3 hrs after I ordered and confirmed by the Tesla rep phoning me to say he’d got one for me. 14 days from order to delivery, I’d take the ‘auto’ part with a pinch of salt

No changes to the order. I wait and wait and no end in sight 😩 .
I have stopped believing that I will get the vin this year. At the earliest I will probably get it in the 1st quarter of next year.
Some interesting updates in the Shipping updates thread.

If you see a VIN in the next week then it could mean some Model Y’s are on their way over on RCC Antwerp, meaning the September EDDs would be fulfilled. But it’s all speculation right now

Reactions: Toblerone
Tesla Jedi Agent thought of the day "However let's stay optimistic and look forward to potentially an SMS in the next few weeks or so to say you've been allocated to a car" and "Because until you have been allocated to a vehicle these estimated dates are purely windows that can be brought closer or pushed back" ;)

Reactions: suresh.thomas@