Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Insurance Quotes Gone Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you purchasing? I had stupidly high quotes when I listed my LTD company as the registered keeper on the quote. I've mentioned in this thread that once I changed it to myself as the registered keeper the quotes came right down, which is how it should be when purchasing through LTD company. If you're buying personally and they're that high then not sure what to say other than crap luck.
I am purchasing it myself. The only thing I can think of is probably because I got my license recently? Well 3400 per year as insurance is ridiculously high..

I am purchasing it myself. The only thing I can think of is probably because I got my license recently? Well 3400 per year as insurance is ridiculously high..
It'll be a combination of your location (London) and being a relatively new driver.

For comparison, I've just taken out a Direct Line policy for my soon-to-be-collected MY for £489 (rural Leicestershire, driving for decades, with full no claims).

Last edited:
Forgot to add in my previous post that my wife and I are paying more or less double for insuring our two Tesla (M3/MY) compared to our previous two cars (Volvo V40 and XC60).

Tesla are performance cars. Add in the current long delays for accident repair and it’s no wonder premiums are high.

For us, the savings in fuel and road tax more than compensate.

Reactions: Bunes
Any one got insurance quotes recently ? I am trying to sort out my insurance before collecting on 10th March and getting insane quotes online. Everything has been north of 3000 ! This is my 2nd car and I am a new driver with 2 years NCB !
The insurance on my Mazda 2 was a mere 400. Am I missing a point here ? or its this high in general ? Most people were claiming 900 odd that too on a higher side.
I'm a new driver too, had the licence just under 5 yrs with 3 yrs NCB and getting quotes 3000+ which is crazy

Any one got insurance quotes recently ? I am trying to sort out my insurance before collecting on 10th March and getting insane quotes online. Everything has been north of 3000 ! This is my 2nd car and I am a new driver with 2 years NCB !
The insurance on my Mazda 2 was a mere 400. Am I missing a point here ? or its this high in general ? Most people were claiming 900 odd that too on a higher side.
I've had my licence just under 5 years with 3 yrs NCB and was quoted 3000+ as well which is crazy

When are you collecting ? I am not sure there is any way out of this other than to wait it out. Then get it that price ! I have talked with every provider out there and they either don`t give out insurance for a Model Y or its that high.
I picked it up last Saturday, had to add the tesla as a second car on my current Admiral insurance which will be up for renewal in a couple of months. I have removed the first car as I traded it in and they are charging me £289 per month until renewal in a couple of months. Really hoping they will give me a better price at renewal. I've also spoken to Adrian Flux and the guy I talked to had to escalate to a manager. He should be calling me back in the next day or two. Direct line said they could not provide me with any cover at this time.

I’m 70 and have held licence for years and have full NCD. I have one minor traffic offence. Admiral quoted £2440 and Direct Line have just said £1600. At least they were able to quote. My existing insurer, LV, can’t quote until mid March and I collect my Y on 2nd! Still searching.

Hi all, I am also receiving ridiculous high quotes 2500 - 3000+. I am 31, 5yrs NCB, living in London, in partnership. I wonder what value of the car do you put for MY insurance? It seems if I put 50k as value it will be over 3000/4000, if i reduce it down to 40k, then it come down to 2600 something like this.

Also is it good to use normal insurance + GAP insurance together for Tesla Y?

T
Hi all, I am also receiving ridiculous high quotes 2500 - 3000+. I am 31, 5yrs NCB, living in London, in partnership. I wonder what value of the car do you put for MY insurance? It seems if I put 50k as value it will be over 3000/4000, if i reduce it down to 40k, then it come down to 2600 something like this.

Also is it good to use normal insurance + GAP insurance together for Tesla Y?
The problem appears to be that a) not all insurance companies are quoting for the MY yet, b) the repair cost for the Tesla are higher than other cars of a similar price bracket, c) time to repair is higher and sadly that means insurers are putting the Tesla in a higher risk category.

I went with direct line had some very crazy quotes 43 15 years no claims no accidents paid 575 admiral were 1500 other quotes wanted me to have a blackbox. There were around 6 insurers at the time the model y was mire to insure than the m3p car.

An insurance insider told me some time ago that the industry had concerns about MY and the path that Tesla were taking with the 2 huge die-cast pieces and the battery becoming structural - all solely designed for ease of construction and not ease of repair.
Tesla created their own Tesla Insurance in the US to counter the ridiculous insurance quotes people were getting there - it's maybe time to launch in the UK.

Good morning,

I'm new here, but, found this thread helpful so thought I would share. My Model Y arrives tomorrow so figured I best sort insurance today!

AXA (Current insurer) wouldn't insure
Admiral - £977
Direct Line - £1848!

36, male, 3 years no claims, company director.

I didn't think Admiral was too bad in comparison. My 18 plate Evoque this year was £725 to insure so not a huge increase.

Good morning,

I'm new here, but, found this thread helpful so thought I would share. My Model Y arrives tomorrow so figured I best sort insurance today!

AXA (Current insurer) wouldn't insure
Admiral - £977
Direct Line - £1848!

36, male, 3 years no claims, company director.

I didn't think Admiral was too bad in comparison. My 18 plate Evoque this year was £725 to insure so not a huge increase.
Company director is a rich title. Could you tweak that a bit and retry?

Status
Not open for further replies.