Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree this is a smart move for them, but a little hard to justify adding a Y as a second car if you already have a 3 and like a little variety. They are *extremely* similar. Was hoping this would be my wife’s next car but now not so sure.

I agree that the great similarity between the TM3 and the TMY means not much market separation. So I expect Model Y sales will heavily cannibalize impact Model 3 sales... once the TMY actually goes on sale, which won't be for (probably) over a year.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
SR
230 mi Range (EPA est.)
$39,000

All below cars have premium interior and sound

5 seat standard; 7 seat option (2021).

LR RWD
300 mi Range (EPA est.)
130mph Top Speed
5.5s 0-60 mph
$42,700

LR AWD
280 mi Range (EPA est.)
135mph Top Speed
4.8s 0-60 mph
$46,700

Performance AWD
280 mi Range (EPA est.)
150mph Top Speed
3.5s 0-60 mph
$55,700

Model Y Performance includes:
Quicker acceleration: 0-60 mph in 3.5s
Top speed: up to 150 mph
20’’ Performance Wheels
Performance Brakes
Carbon fiber spoiler
Lowered suspension
Aluminum alloy pedal
Track Mode

Below via: Presskit | Tesla

Model Y is an all-electric, mid-size SUV designed for maximum versatility and safety. Model Y will start at $39,000 for the Standard Range version, and will also come in Long Range, Dual-Motor All-Wheel Drive, and Performance variants.

Model Y is spacious enough to carry seven adults and their gear and offers leading range, superior performance, and the most advanced technology. The high-efficiency powertrain and ultra-responsive motors will provide 0-60 mph acceleration in as little as 3.5 seconds and a top speed of up to 150 mph, with excellent handling for any road condition. Model Y Standard Battery will have 230 miles of range, while Model Y Long Range will be able to travel up to 300 miles on a single charge.

Inside, Model Y's panoramic glass roof and high seating creates a feeling of spaciousness and offers an expansive view from every seat in the vehicle. The front trunk and split-folding second-row seats provide a total of 66 cubic feet (1.9 cubic meters) of storage space. Like Model 3, Model Y requires no keys, but instead connects to your smartphone for seamless entry and exit, with a single 15-inch touchscreen interface inside for all of the car's controls. Model Y also connects with the Tesla Mobile app for unique, easy-to-access features like remote unlock, Summon, remote pre-conditioning, location tracking, Speed Limit Mode, and much more.

Model Y is designed to be the safest mid-size SUV. Built from the ground up as an electric vehicle, the low center of gravity, rigid body structure and large crumple zones provide unparalleled protection. Its aerodynamic design and leading battery technology also make it highly-efficient in terms of energy usage, meaning you can achieve better range with less energy than other EVs on the market. Model Y is also compatible with our current Supercharger network of more than 12,000 Superchargers in 36 countries, as well as our new V3 Superchargers which can charge at rates up to 1,000 miles per hour.

Deliveries are expected to begin in Fall 2020 for Model Y Performance, Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive, and Dual-Motor All-Wheel Drive variants, and Spring 2021 for the $39,000 Model Y Standard Range. Please visit our Design Studio to see available options and current delivery estimates.

FHZZdkm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qTJN9fv.jpg
cq5dam.tinypng.1440.auto.jpg

blue-hero-desktop.jpg

2nObvak.jpg

Last edited:
That was the weakest reveal of a product I’ve ever seen.

I cannot imagine who is going to give them a $2500 loan to reserve this after the fiasco that was the Model 3 reservation queue.

Hard pass on this one.

They don't need reservations. They need to keep selling Model 3s. That's why Tesla probably doesn't care about your hard pass. These will sell like hotcakes once they start building them.

Wasn’t expecting an optional 3rd row. Probably a really tight squeeze back there but should be sufficient for my dogs. Was hoping for a little more info, perhaps the Tesla website will have some more stuff about it. Surprised there was no info on placing a preorder or anything like that.
I agree.

Sounds like all new supercharger stations going forward are V3. I think Elon also mentioned slowly upgrading existing stations to V3? First I’ve heard that.
The clarification was the first I've heard too.

And yes I agree, Elon definitely does not excel at presenting. I think he doesn’t even rehearse these things, just wings them. Tesla could learn a lot from how Apple handles their product announcements.
Eww! One of the major reasons I hate Apple is their terrible fake presentations. Elon lives in the age of real, not fake. Since I prefer real, I highly prefer Elon's presentations as positive (and consider Apple presentations gross and negative, and can't watch them).

Most CUV are sold as front wheel drive.

And almost half of SUV are sold as rear wheel drive. Pickups too.

It doesn't snow heavily in the Southern third of the country.
Lies. I'd love to see the actual stats, but I get where you're coming from.

AWD is better in rain and mud, so the southern third should get it. (I'm a Subaru fanboy so I can't help myself).

TEG, I think that view makes it look like a decent modest car, not a show-off vehicle. Being a modest car is necessary to reach down to a much larger market that doesn't want to be targeted by hustlers and jealous people, something most of us have to live with in middle class and lower neighborhoods. I think the looks of it are decent considering that. However, the internal room is "suspicious" for now, until we know more; let's just say that it should have more room than a Model 3, so therefore if anyone wants a bigger Model 3, take a great look at the Model Y.

I see Tesla is relenting to the uglier and uglier pathway that the car companies all took after the 1970s started. When we actually see Model Y in real life 4D and 3D, it might look much better than in 2D.

Last edited:
So no HW3 hardware or FSD news?

Pretty sure Elon said fully functional FSD would be available by the end of the year.

As someone said upstream... that seems all too similar to a promise from a couple of years back.

Just my opinion, but if FSD means Level 4/5 autonomy, then Tesla is years away from that. And again just my opinion, but they will never achieve it using only visible light cameras. Why would Tesla try to rely on sensors which can't see in the dark any better than you or I can?

Full autonomy will, I think, require either lidar or phased-array radar... probably the latter, as it does better in rain and snow.

Anyone spending extra money for the 7-seat option is just throwing money away or investing in TSLA at 0%. There is no way you can fit 2 extra people into a car that is “10% bigger” than a M3. Even the X’s 3rd row is a very small and cramped space.

Besides that, I think the overall design is as expected. Doesn’t make sense for Tesla to unveil a completely new design language at this point.
This will do well for buyers also looking at the X4, GLE coupe, Q4, QX50, and Macan.
These others cars are all similar in size....and none have 7 seats. Just. Not. Practical. (Even to just get down the street).

I disagree. If you have 7 people to tote around, at least two of them are very likely to be kids. You'd be able to have 5 adults and two kids (or two carseats) in this. Or 2 adults and 5 kids. That may be the very thing that convinces a potential X4/GLE/Q4/QX50/Macan buyer to choose this.

Reactions: Ulmo and commasign
Eww! One of the major reasons I hate Apple is their terrible fake presentations. Elon lives in the age of real, not fake. Since I prefer real, I highly prefer Elon's presentations as positive (and consider Apple presentations gross and negative, and can't watch them).

Ok granted, but he could at least rehearse the presentation a few times instead of seemingly winging the whole thing. It could have been more structured and they definitely should have spent more time talking about and showing the Y.