Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
If I were to guess why the other person got better efficiency, it's because a lighter wheel will give you less rotational mass, which is a big deal, as rotational mass takes much more energy to accelerate than non-rotational mass.
Not disagreeing on that principle, but I think that is marginal compared to other factors. E.g. on freeway trips using AP you're at a pretty constant speed. It will have more impact on city stop-and-go traffic. Even then, it might still be be very minimal compared to getting the 4,400 lbs vehicle itself to move.

Gaige

Dec 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
Do you mean the 3-5% loss is from the 20" OEM to the Quattrac Pros (same Induction wheels)?

Yes, I was somewhat expecting it given the larger treads, 3 snowflake rating on these. I changed from stock Goodyears to Vredestein Quattrac Pros for the better snow / winter weather performance, which they definitely do.

I was surprised to see that with that switch you got better efficiency. I know 19" should give some range boost. What were your original wheels / size?

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
I was surprised to see that with that switch you got better efficiency. I know 19" should give some range boost. What were your original wheels / size?
As posted, TSportline 20" TST wheels with Michelin PS A/S3+. Swapped from OEM Gemini wheels immediately after purchase so no idea how those compare.

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
As posted, TSportline 20" TST wheels with Michelin PS A/S3+. Swapped from OEM Gemini wheels immediately after purchase so no idea how those compare.
If you came from Pilot Sport AS3+ and went to the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, that makes total sense... The PS/AS3+ is an Ultra High Performance All Season, the vredestein is a Grand Touring All Season, So the pilots are MUCH grippier... I've have Pilot Sport AS3+ and another tire from same category (DWS-06) on my other cars. The tradeoff was between performance and fuel economy.... So it makes since you saw a range increase when you switched away from the AS3+.

spatelpsd

Nov 16, 2020
CA
245/45/20 Vredestein Pro Quatrac on OEM Model 3 20x8.5 rims on model Y
IMG_1117.jpeg

Reactions: Gaige and srlawren

MFTMFW

Apr 1, 2021
Michigan
Will I be able to run 245/45r20 tires in front and 275/40r20 tires in back on 8.5-inch wheels from TireRack on a MYP.
Or would it be better to run 245/40r20 in the front? Thanks for the help!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC