Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were to guess why the other person got better efficiency, it's because a lighter wheel will give you less rotational mass, which is a big deal, as rotational mass takes much more energy to accelerate than non-rotational mass.
Not disagreeing on that principle, but I think that is marginal compared to other factors. E.g. on freeway trips using AP you're at a pretty constant speed. It will have more impact on city stop-and-go traffic. Even then, it might still be be very minimal compared to getting the 4,400 lbs vehicle itself to move.

Do you mean the 3-5% loss is from the 20" OEM to the Quattrac Pros (same Induction wheels)?

Yes, I was somewhat expecting it given the larger treads, 3 snowflake rating on these. I changed from stock Goodyears to Vredestein Quattrac Pros for the better snow / winter weather performance, which they definitely do.

I was surprised to see that with that switch you got better efficiency. I know 19" should give some range boost. What were your original wheels / size?

As posted, TSportline 20" TST wheels with Michelin PS A/S3+. Swapped from OEM Gemini wheels immediately after purchase so no idea how those compare.
If you came from Pilot Sport AS3+ and went to the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, that makes total sense... The PS/AS3+ is an Ultra High Performance All Season, the vredestein is a Grand Touring All Season, So the pilots are MUCH grippier... I've have Pilot Sport AS3+ and another tire from same category (DWS-06) on my other cars. The tradeoff was between performance and fuel economy.... So it makes since you saw a range increase when you switched away from the AS3+.

245/45/20 Vredestein Pro Quatrac on OEM Model 3 20x8.5 rims on model Y
IMG_1117.jpeg

Has anyone done 275/40/20s on all 4? I see tirerack and tsportline offer this as an optional tire size on 20”.

Has anyone done 275/40/20s on all 4? I see tirerack and tsportline offer this as an optional tire size on 20”.

Well, assuming it fits and doesn't rub when the wheel is fully turned, it'll fit better on the crazy wide 9.5" rims. However, it'll spray a fair bit more road grit and grime on the side of your car.

Better off just going 8.5" rims and sticking with 255 wide tires. Better availability and cost for tires.

Well, assuming it fits and doesn't rub when the wheel is fully turned, it'll fit better on the crazy wide 9.5" rims. However, it'll spray a fair bit more road grit and grime on the side of your car.

Better off just going 8.5" rims and sticking with 255 wide tires. Better availability and cost for tires.
Thank you for this wealth of info on deciding smaller wheel/tire for the Y.
With other member contributions it’s just that more valuable.

I have a Y Performance on order but would like a wheel/tire combo ready to go.
The 19x8.5 is the size for me but had a question on tire size.
I read that you choose the 255/45-19 and are happy with the choice.
Have you considered 245/50-19? On the calculator it’s relatively similar but biggest difference is diameter 28” vs 28.6” and circumference at 88” vs 89.9”
Would these numbers have a negative impact or a 245 is not enough width for the Performance’s performance?
Thank again.

Thank you for this wealth of info on deciding smaller wheel/tire for the Y.
With other member contributions it’s just that more valuable.

I have a Y Performance on order but would like a wheel/tire combo ready to go.
The 19x8.5 is the size for me but had a question on tire size.
I read that you choose the 255/45-19 and are happy with the choice.
Have you considered 245/50-19? On the calculator it’s relatively similar but biggest difference is diameter 28” vs 28.6” and circumference at 88” vs 89.9”
Would these numbers have a negative impact or a 245 is not enough width for the Performance’s performance?
Thank again.
I’m not an expert on tires (though I’ve learned so much since ordering my Tesla!).

That’s why I stuck with the exact stock fitment.

I do know wider tires help handling. But 10mm is a super small difference.

I can’t imagine it would have a noticeable affect. So long as you can find XL tires with the right speed and load rating, I’d think you’d be fine (assuming they fit with the extra diameter).

Thanks for reply, initially wanted to go with 245/50-19 to able to go with run flats but upon further thinking I’m looking away from rft and just run 255/45-19.

Owners of MYP with the red brake calipers who choose the R241’s in 19x8.5 40offset, were you able to fit without issue?