Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both a Y and a 3 on order and am trying to decide between the two. This will be my first Tesla. Any input from more experienced drivers will be greatly appreciated! Here have 2 questions that will affect my choice:
  1. Given the weight and height differences, will the Y feel a bit less agile and top heavy than the 3? Many SUVs just don’t feel that agile (Porsche Macan being a notable exception). Driving one will answer this question to be sure, but what are people’s guesses based on the current data we now have about the Y?
  2. Right now the range on the 2 vehicles (stealth performance versions) are 315 vs 322, which is a pretty small difference. However, in looking at the recently revealed specs of the Y, its increased weigh and size would suggest a bigger difference (as noted in another thread). Thus, some are suggesting that the 3 will likely be (software) upgraded to a higher range. If this is correct, is it reasonable to expect that the 3 could move up to be around 350? I ask because ideally I’d like to be able to drive about 225 real miles in the cold with heat on the highway without charging.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have both a Y and a 3 on order and am trying to decide between the two. This will be my first Tesla. Any input from more experienced drivers will be greatly appreciated! Here have 2 questions that will affect my choice:
  1. Given the weight and height differences, will the Y feel a bit less agile and top heavy than the 3? Many SUVs just don’t feel that agile (Porsche Macan being a notable exception). Driving one will answer this question to be sure, but what are people’s guesses based on the current data we now have about the Y?
  2. Right now the range on the 2 vehicles (stealth performance versions) are 315 vs 322, which is a pretty small difference. However, in looking at the recently revealed specs of the Y, its increased weigh and size would suggest a bigger difference (as noted in another thread). Thus, some are suggesting that the 3 will likely be (software) upgraded to a higher range. If this is correct, is it reasonable to expect that the 3 could move up to be around 350? I ask because ideally I’d like to be able to drive about 225 real miles in the cold with heat on the highway without charging.
My quick $.02...Get the 3 if you're worried about range, especially in the cold. My X is a bit inefficient already, the cold weather (<40F) takes it to another extreme (highway range is barely half).

Had a 3. OK for one or two people, 3 if one is a kid. But not much in the way of baggage.
If you're tall, the 3 is hard to get in to and out of. It's fine once you're in it but it's low to the ground.
You have to swing your legs over the door sill.
Tall adults have trouble fitting in the back seat. More than 2 kids of a certain age would be a tight fit.
We're getting a Y.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Looks like of all the things you could have brought up, that distinguishes between the M3 and the MY, you chose handling and range.

Leaving all other discussions aside, I'll take on range first. You are right, the range difference isn't much. From long trips to city driving, I don't think (outside of your keen brain) will you ever really notice a difference. It's minimal. I think you can safely put those concerns to bed. They are both very efficient, and your mileage between charges will be more influenced by the heaviness of your foot, than the 15 mile range difference. The cold will also effect both the same.

Ride. If you want a better ride, the M3 would win hands down. Especially with track mode, if you want to pursue more aggressive driving experience.

Frankly I think there are many other issues between the two, that you should consider. Resale value, cargo space, head room, and seat height would be a few.

Best wishes with your decision!

can anyone honestly suggest what other vehicle the model Y exterior (size-wise) compares to. Is it more inline with a honda cr/v? something else?

Would a Y be better fit for three kids in the back seat than an 3? or is the back seating pretty much the same on both. (I dont care about head room)

The batteries in the Y will make the weight and center of gravity much lower than your typical internal combustion vehicle. Handling shouldn't be much concern on the Y since it won't be top heavy like many of the crossover and SUVs on the market today. Even then, many crossovers aren't too top heavy but the difference in handling between a normal sedan and crossover can be felt. My SQ5 is nimble for an SUV but it's no sedan. The weight can be felt in the corners. I'm expecting the Y to feel much stable in turns due to the lower center of gravity.

You have to decide between usability versus efficiency and performance.

Get the Model Y if you are used to hatchback, the Model Y will be certainly more practical than the Model 3 Sedan.

About range, you might be typically driving between 90% and 20%,

- so.. 70% of Model 3 LR AWD range of 322 miles is 225 miles,
- and 70% of Model Y LR AWD range of 315 miles is 220 miles

So, unless you are a very aggressive driver, range seems quite similar.

For both Models, the range might be quite affected by cold weather if you use a lot the heater,
or if you get bad weather, like rain, snow, or strong wind.

You can get good winter driving experience from watching some Bjørn Nyland YouTube videos, such as Road trip to Harstad.

If you really have a range issue, in both case, reducing your speed will certainly help.

Note: It might be possible that a 100 kWh will be available, but I don't think this would happen until 2021.

Something also to consider, is the availability. If you order today,
the Model 3 will be available in a matter of weeks, but the Model Y might take several months.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
can anyone honestly suggest what other vehicle the model Y exterior (size-wise) compares to. Is it more inline with a honda cr/v? something else?

Would a Y be better fit for three kids in the back seat than an 3? or is the back seating pretty much the same on both. (I dont care about head room)

If the recently released data on the size Y is correct, it is believed to be the same dimensions as a BMW X4.

I drive a 2016 S90D. New range was about 290 but now the best is 282. Considered the 3 but I like the convenience of the hatchback. Next car will be a Y because of that. Both of these cars have a better range than the S. For me I would go for range as performance is going to be better than anything you have driven. Center of gravity will not be a problem; battery weight is so low these things stick like glue to the pavement. I drove the S in Ohio for 2 years and didn't find cold weather a big problem. YMMV

You have to decide between usability versus efficiency and performance.

Get the Model Y if you are used to hatchback, the Model Y will be certainly more practical than the Model 3 Sedan.

About range, you might be typically driving between 90% and 20%,

- so.. 70% of Model 3 LR AWD range of 322 miles is 225 miles,
- and 70% of Model Y LR AWD range of 315 miles is 220 miles

So, unless you are a very aggressive driver, range seems quite similar.

For both Models, the range might be quite affected by cold weather if you use a lot the heater,
or if you get bad weather, like rain, snow, or strong wind.

You can get good winter driving experience from watching some Bjørn Nyland YouTube videos, such as Road trip to Harstad.

If you really have a range issue, in both case, reducing your speed will certainly help.

Note: It might be possible that a 100 kWh will be available, but I don't think this would happen until 2021.

Something also to consider, is the availability. If you order today,
the Model 3 will be available in a matter of weeks, but the Model Y might take several months.

Thanks, this is a helpful concerning range. So, do you not believe that the Model 3 will get a software upgrade to higher range perhaps using new tech that is already reflected in the Ys reported range? I ask because some have suggested that the current 7 mile difference doesn’t seem right given the battery is the same but the Y is considerably heavier and taller. Some think that some optimization is present in the Y that has not yet migrated to the 3, but that it will at some point.

Thanks, this is a helpful concerning range.
So, do you not believe that the Model 3 will get a software upgrade to higher range
perhaps using new tech that is already reflected in the Ys reported range?
I ask because some have suggested that the current 7 mile difference doesn’t seem right
given the battery is the same but the Y is considerably heavier and taller.
Some think that some optimization is present in the Y that has not yet migrated to the 3,
but that it will at some point.
I can't way watching some video comparisons between the 3 and the Y,

The Model 3 seems already very efficient compared to other EVs,
but it seems that the Model Y is even more efficiency, so like every one I'm even more intrigued.

Yes, it could be possible, in a year or so, to see a refresh Model 3 with some
incremental improvement taken from of the Model Y (?)

I think because of your location, real winter driving range is certainly an important issue.
I noticed complains about the Model 3 for not offering heated steering wheel.

I am in Northern California, and it must be nothing compared to your situation.
But I found gloves which have a special material under the fingers, so you can still use
the touch screen without removing your gloves and this was very helpful.

Did you decided between getting the 3 or the Y?
If you can wait until you can compare both models this will be certainly the best option.

What kind of car you currently drive? What is you daily commute and your typical weekend usage,
what number of passengers in each case do you have... this can also help making a decision.

Would you be able to charge at home, or work, otherwise is there any L2 public chargers conveniently
located for your daily activities, and any Superchargers along your long trips.

Would you be able to charge when arriving to your long trip destination, otherwise
you need to consider how far you will be from a charger or supercharger.

This might be critical if you plan going to lesser density population and chargers,
like North Dakota, and some people would still prefer ICE or hybrid if you need extra long range.

Last edited: