Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y water leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jcanoe:

Isn't that only when it's on recirculate? I thought any HVAC, NOT on recirculate, is removing moisture from the air entering the cabin, as well.
It is both. There is an air return inside the passenger cabin (probably under the dash board on the passenger side.) Cabin air mixes with fresh air unless you have turned on Recirculate Cabin Air. The air in the evaporator chamber moves across the evaporator coil where it is cooled (the temperature of this air drops perhaps ~20 degrees from contact with the coil fins.) Any moisture that was in the air will immediately condense, form water droplets which due to gravity will drip to the bottom of the evaporator coil and collect at the bottom of the evaporator chamber.

What is supposed to happen next is the condensate (the water from the coil) accumulates at the bottom of the evaporator chamber and then drains out of the chamber. Usually there is a short tube routing from the evaporator chamber to beneath the vehicle. If the tube is not properly connected, kinked or clogged then this water cannot drain properly. If the condensate water can't drain it will accumulate in the evaporator chamber until it finds another path to a lower level. This could be somewhere behind the firewall, inside the passenger cabin.

There is a second chamber (in the Tesla Model Y thermal management system with Octovalve video this is labeled the cabin condenser) where the cooled air can optionally be heated before passing into the passenger cabin. If the system is running the de-humidification mode (de-fogger mode) then the AC will run. This will cool, de-humidify the air as it flows across the evaporator coil. The cooled dry air, will then be heated before being sent into the cabin. If the AC is not running, then the air just flows past the evaporator coil without being cooled, de-humidified before being heated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deutsch100
Upvote 0
Is there any way to check for water inside the vehicle without removing pieces?
No you have to remove the panel on the side of the console. I will saying is easy if you have a trim pullers rid you don’t. Just pull straight back and pull quickly so no clips break.

The only other way to access it (according to SC) is from the front on a lift with the frunk removed.

Upvote 0
2021 MYP here. Three months old. Today for the 2nd time the floor in the back seat is soaking wet. We had heavy rain the past 24 hours but no flooding where I park. I don't remember if the weather was rainy the 1st time I noticed water back there. I removed the floormat and the carpet is wet all the way across, from left to right doors, and mainly just adjacent to the seat. Where your feet would go, and under the front seats, are bone dry. Front carpet is bone dry as well. Any idea where this water is coming from?

Interesting fact: my rear floor mats are water proof, yet not only is the carpet below them wet, the top surface of the mats are also wet. My windshield sunscreen, which I keep folded and lying flat on the rear seat floor mat, is soaking wet. What's happening here?

Upvote 0
Getting my car back today. Though I had water under the firewall the SC states there was no leak and the car is ok. Already have an offer and selling it next week. Done.
I was going to say I would never buy a used car again for stories like this but given you bought this car new means that no car is likely safe to buy (from Tesla).
Are you going with another brand?

Upvote 0
Haven’t decided. That Hyundai Ioniq EV for 0 down and $99 a month sounds good until there are better options. Driven Hyundai for years and they have always been honest on things that were wrong and even lemoned a car. I know I will lose performance etc. Spent more time at the SC with a new car for issues then anyone should.

I am confident they screwed up when they did the service replacing the sensors and corrected it but I don’t want to deal with dishonesty. The AC is draining under the car like crazy so there was something wrong but they just won’t tell me. Makes me think that someone on the manufacturing line could have installed drains wrong and that is what they see in Korea.

Car was fun while it lasted though!

Upvote 0
That is crazy. Looks like their venting was not correctly installed. After this experience with the AC I am just done with Tesla, which is sad. Love the styling, power, battery quality, and stereo but I just don’t really want to know what is around the corner and how much they will try to charge me.

I still have no doubt they corrected my issue though there must be so many cars with the same thing and people just don’t know. Tesla could have production issues and with their lack of QC they will be repetitive for a large number of Vins. Most manufacturers can catch it and maybe a few get out and one can hope handle things differently. I am sure they know what is cause the Korean Leak but the lack of communication just sucks. Doesn’t seem model 3s are impacted but who knows. I will surely despise carrying a key fob.

Reactions: linux-works
Upvote 0
That is crazy. Looks like their venting was not correctly installed. After this experience with the AC I am just done with Tesla, which is sad. Love the styling, power, battery quality, and stereo but I just don’t really want to know what is around the corner and how much they will try to charge me.

I still have no doubt they corrected my issue though there must be so many cars with the same thing and people just don’t know. Tesla could have production issues and with their lack of QC they will be repetitive for a large number of Vins. Most manufacturers can catch it and maybe a few get out and one can hope handle things differently. I am sure they know what is cause the Korean Leak but the lack of communication just sucks. Doesn’t seem model 3s are impacted but who knows. I will surely despise carrying a key fob.
I test drove two new BMWs today and many models offer phone as key ;) So....you might never have to carry a key fob!

Being honest, I almost ordered a Tesla key fob before my delivery of my MYP, as I was quite nervous, untrusting and weary of using my iPhone as my car key...but it has been flawless 99.9% of the time!

Upvote 0
I actually just went and checked. No water from what I can tell around the sponge area or the passenger foot well.

Attachments

• 20210920_223537.jpg
    20210920_223537.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0