Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 757670
t’s actually closer to only 3x. What you aren’t realizing is that these are benchmarks, not real world applications. The function required of the infotainment system in the Tesla wwill show the chips performing much closer.

But what you are really missing is that both chips are like 10x slower than the refressed S/X amd chip
That is exactly one of the parts that I quoted... CPU is 6x faster, GPU is 3x faster...

Many of the YouTube, Netflix issues are internet connection related vs CPU. I have seen many complaints about slow horrible browsing speeded both on the web browser and Netflix but no one has ever complained that the actual video playback is slow, or weak.
Hah. Can't believe I missed this the first time through. If the internet connection were an issue, the one thing that would suffer is the video playback. This is common sense. Need I elaborate?

Reactions: CarlThompson
That depends on how the client is written. It may detect the slow CPU/GPU performance and request a lower bitrate stream so as not to overload the capabilities of the system.
Judging from some of the performance issues I’ve seen and other instances where there is the exact same performance, i believe you are correct. I don’t think the slowness with launching YouTube or Netflix is as much of an intel processor power issue as much as it’s poor software.

Have you seen the two videos I posted launching Beach Buggy Racing. One from. 2019 and the other from. a 2022 M3 with the AMD chip? Exactly the same. 17 seconds to launch and gameplay is identical. Check that out if you haven’t.

Nope. Video decoding and graphics processing would be the bottleneck if internet speeds were the same.
You’re suggesting that user complaints about slow apps is a result of internet speed slow enough to throttle basic web browsing, yet fast enough to stream the content once you start to play it. This scenario does not exist. I’m convinced you’re being satirical at this point.

You’re suggesting that user complaints about slow apps is a result of internet speed slow enough to throttle basic web browsing, yet fast enough to stream the content once you start to play it. This scenario does not exist. I’m convinced you’re being satirical at this point.
No. that’s not what I’m saying. I am saying that the YouTube and Netflix apps are not optimized for Tesla playback. Why does beach buggy racing, an intense 3D graphic game taking input put controllers or steering wheel run smooth as the new AMD?

I believe that improving the Netflix and Yourubr software would result in nearly instant playback you see in the Refreshed AMD models. I think we can both agree that Streaming video is not a very complicated or processor intensive application and should run just as easily on a 2017 intel processor as it does on a 10 year old Roku.

No. that’s not what I’m saying. I am saying that the YouTube and Netflix apps are not optimized for Tesla playback. Why does beach buggy racing, an intense 3D graphic game taking input put controllers or steering wheel run smooth as the new AMD?

I believe that improving the Netflix and Yourubr software would result in nearly instant playback you see in the Refreshed AMD models. I think we can both agree that Streaming video is not a very complicated or processor intensive application and should run just as easily on a 2017 intel processor as it does on a 10 year old Roku.
You literally did say that in a comment I already quoted earlier…

Let’s just assume your (altered) hypothesis is correct and Netflix, YouTube, and the internet browser are just horribly optimized. Having a processor 6-8x faster will, undoubtedly, make a huge difference for those applications, and provide a huge buffer in the future for any more software updates, optimization issues, etc.

Reactions: RVAC
You literally did say that in a comment I already quoted earlier…

Let’s just assume your (altered) hypothesis is correct and Netflix, YouTube, and the internet browser are just horribly optimized. Having a processor 6-8x faster will, undoubtedly, make a huge difference for those applications, and provide a huge buffer in the future for any more software updates, optimization issues, etc.
It’s not an altered hypothesis. I agree with the gentleman that the client could be an issue as oppress to the processor or internet connection. I didn’t agree or intent to imply that I agreed with his whole statement.

Your argument is a complete fallacy. This “3-6x” buffer is not going to make any difference when they are both already 10x BEHIND the most current chip technology that Tesla is using.

If would completely agree with you if you are comparing the intel Atom to the AMD Ryzem Zen 2+ Chipset in the Model S. No arguments there.

Do you know that FSD is powered by a separate chip? Only the infotainment system is powered by intel and it handles everything but Netflix and YouTube fine. Can you identify any issues with maps, navigation, car controls?

If you only answer one questions what do you think is more complicated CPU task, running maps and navigating a car moving at 70 mph or playing an episode of Squid Game on Netflix? Why does the Tesla OS have a mini stroke loading up the Netflix library and then stream HQ video with excellent sound almost effortlessly? Despite anything else you believe, you have to admit it’s not the intel processor that make NFLX run like 💩

Having a processor 6-8x faster will, undoubtedly, make a huge difference for those applications, and provide a huge buffer in the future for any more software updates, optimization issues, etc.
I feel like I should explain to you in more detail why this is a fallacy, Technology improves in exponential magnitudes.

You see the Intel benchmark at 2k where the NEW AMD is at 47,000. The next hardware upgrade Tesla introduces will likely Bemchmark over 100k on these tests.

Where there may have been a slight notice or difference in the Intel And AMD at 2k and 6k compared to 40k, that difference is going to be completely negligible when the current Benchmark is over 100k. The 47k chip won’t be doing too bad, but the 2k and 4K chips are equally dead.

I feel like I should explain to you in more detail why this is a fallacy, Technology improves in exponential magnitudes.

You see the Intel benchmark at 2k where the NEW AMD is at 47,000. The next hardware upgrade Tesla introduces will likely Bemchmark over 100k on these tests.

Where there may have been a slight notice or difference in the Intel And AMD at 2k and 6k compared to 40k, that difference is going to be completely negligible when the current Benchmark is over 100k. The 47k chip won’t be doing too bad, but the 2k and 4K chips are equally dead.
That is a GPU-specific benchmark. The CPU, which for the most part is what's going to be what's relevant for performance outside of 3D tasks is the same between the 3/Y and S/X. In fact, even that S/X score is an estimate derived from some unspecified PC hardware. You can't actually run 3dmark directly on a Tesla.

Furthermore, there's still no actual proof the 3/Y doesn't have a discrete GPU. That benchmark is just looking at the 2400G performance as a surrogate for the theoretical GPU-less 3/Y. The only teardown we've seen shows a separate GPU than what's built into the CPU with a GPU board that appears to be identical to the S/X board.

Reactions: DVM3P and MP3Mike
It’s not an altered hypothesis.
Sigh. Are you really going to force me to make you read your comment from earlier today where you were blaming laggy app UI on internet speeds? This would really be easier if you could keep track of what you were saying.

I suggest you stop all the “fallacy” talk when you’ve demonstrated multiple times that you have a limited understanding of how the CPU and GPU differ and how they serve different functions in the vehicle. You are comparing apples to oranges with the scores you’re talking about, and you don’t even understand why.

Reactions: RVAC
Sigh. Are you really going to force me to make you read your comment from earlier today where you were blaming laggy app UI on internet speeds? This would really be easier if you could keep track of what you were saying.

I suggest you stop all the “fallacy” talk when you’ve demonstrated multiple times that you have a limited understanding of how the CPU and GPU differ and how they serve different functions in the vehicle. You are comparing apples to oranges with the scores you’re talking about, and you don’t even understand why.
On the contrary, I don’t think you understand. The laggy internet connection has been proven in many complaints where a Tesla owners were experiencing issues in map loading, software updates etc. there are endless videos out there proving this. This was related to the original MIC video that shows like a 20 second load difference on every screen in both cars. Hundreds of Tesla intel owners have debunked that saying they have never seen their maps or apps load that slow ever. Even some MCU1 wonders say they’re system operates faster than the alleged 2021 intel chop showed in that video. Honest question, have you ever been in a Tesla yet? Do any of your friends, relatives or co workers own one? Have you experienced the same abysmal performance demonstrated in that video firsthand? I’ve spent a lot of time looking at that Tesla screen and I haven’t seen it act that slow (yes YouTube and Netflix are very slow to launch, and it’s becoming of Tesla, they should fix it)

But you have You have Not contributed a single fact to support your argument. The only source you provided was Jay in Shanghai’s tweet.

At the start of this debate you were 100% sure that the M3 and MY were getting the exact same chip as the model S and X. There was no doubt in your mind, you didn’t even consider an alternative. If nothing else, I’ve put that question in your mind now. We’ll see who is right about the chip/gpu soon enough to declare a victor of that debate.

You have still yet to offer an explanation as to why the Intel processor can keep up with the Ryzen processor 100% when playing Beach Buggy 2. Which is application should theoretically stress the CPU more? I guess you’re saying Netflix is far more demanding type of application and that’s why the Intel processor can’t handle it. You haven’t any other explanation.

Many of the YouTube, Netflix issues are internet connection related vs CPU.
It's almost as if you're trying to be obtuse.

Honest question, have you ever been in a Tesla yet? Do any of your friends, relatives or co workers own one? Have you experienced the same abysmal performance demonstrated in that video firsthand?
I have test driven one. I know an acquaintance who has one. No complaints on either end. But thank goodness its 2022 and we have access to the world wide web, the greatest source of information mankind has ever seen. I can read about thousands upon thousands of others' experiences, advice, complaints, etc. before I make a decision on what I want to purchase. I can consider all potential aspects of what a 6-8x performance increase might offer, both now, and in the future.
But you have You have Not contributed a single fact to support your argument. The only source you provided was Jay in Shanghai’s tweet.
False. But I don't expect you to put in the effort to remember what I've linked, or said. All day you've been cherry-picking what to respond to in everyone's responses to you.
At the start of this debate you were 100% sure that the M3 and MY were getting the exact same chip as the model S and X. There was no doubt in your mind, you didn’t even consider an alternative. If nothing else, I’ve put that question in your mind now. We’ll see who is right about the chip/gpu soon enough to declare a victor of that debate.
Preliminary reports and breakdowns are suggesting that the CPU is indeed the same. I suggest you stop using the word "chip" because that's probably confusing you. Again, you need to educate yourself on what a CPU is, what a GPU is, and how they differ. It will make all of this a lot easier.
I guess you’re saying Netflix is far more demanding type of application and that’s why the Intel processor can’t handle it. You haven’t any other explanation.
I mean you yourself hypothesized that the Netflix app is horribly optimized, resulting in the lag. That itself could explain the discrepancy. It's really not that complicated. A few chrome tabs can easily utilize more CPU than a desktop racing game.

It's almost as if you're trying to be obtuse.

I have test driven one. I know an acquaintance who has one. No complaints on either end. But thank goodness its 2022 and we have access to the world wide web, the greatest source of information mankind has ever seen. I can read about thousands upon thousands of others' experiences, advice, complaints, etc. before I make a decision on what I want to purchase. I can consider all potential aspects of what a 6-8x performance increase might offer, both now, and in the future.

False. But I don't expect you to put in the effort to remember what I've linked, or said. All day you've been cherry-picking what to respond to in everyone's responses to you.

Preliminary reports and breakdowns are suggesting that the CPU is indeed the same. I suggest you stop using the word "chip" because that's probably confusing you. Again, you need to educate yourself on what a CPU is, what a GPU is, and how they differ. It will make all of this a lot easier.

I mean you yourself hypothesized that the Netflix app is horribly optimized, resulting in the lag. That itself could explain the discrepancy. It's really not that complicated. A few chrome tabs can easily utilize more CPU than a desktop racing game.

Post your sources. You are completely avoiding it. You continue to make vague references to your research but all I see is one tweet from Shanghai Jay. Just post your credible sources and I’ll eat crow. Simple.

Post your sources. You are completely avoiding it. You continue to make vague references to your research but all I see is one tweet from Shanghai Jay. Just post your credible sources and I’ll eat crow. Simple.
I found an anecdotal source that I commented earlier in reply to you. You ignored it, just like you’ve ignored countless other points that I and numerous other users have made today. I’m not going to give you the satisfaction of re-linking it. If you care enough (you don’t), you can put in the minimal effort to go back and find it. Btw I’m not even the one who linked the “Shanghai Jay” tweet, so that goes to show how capable you are in keeping up with the conversation…

Oh and what sources have you come up with today? Oh yeah, you’ve brought up Beach Buggy 2 about a gazillion times: A game which can only be played when the car is parked and immobile, and which everyone knows is a true benchmark in CPU performance across a variety of tasks 🤣

FYI the YouTube and Netflix performance have nothing to do with the Intel processor power.

The reason these apps suck is because they aren’t apps. They are full screen (theater mode) browser windows.

Tesla web browser is crap. Mostly by design they have crippled browser functionality because web browsers can pose a nasty security threat. So they are gimped and locked down. And YouTube and Netflix browsing don’t like it, but they play videos just fine.

I found an anecdotal source that I commented earlier in reply to you. You ignored it, just like you’ve ignored countless other points that I and numerous other users have made today. I’m not going to give you the satisfaction of re-linking it. If you care enough (you don’t), you can put in the minimal effort to go back and find it. Btw I’m not even the one who linked the “Shanghai Jay” tweet, so that goes to show how capable you are in keeping up with the conversation…

Oh and what sources have you come up with today? Oh yeah, Beach Buggy 2, a true benchmark in CPU performance across a variety of tasks 🤣
That beach buggy side by side comparison is the only solid prof of anything in this argument.

you’ve never been in a Tesla (sorry, you test drive obnr)but you watch a lot if YouTube is what do I know.

Oh and what sources have you come up with today? Oh yeah, you’ve brought up Beach Buggy 2 about a gazillion times: A game which can only be played when the car is parked and immobile, and which everyone knows is a true benchmark in CPU performance across a variety of tasks 🤣
just to price you wrong once again:

“Not many people, reviewers, etc. have their hands on 3/Y with the new processor yet, so there aren't going to be an abundance of "sources" available, but for now you can look at the video sightman posted and refer to this thread.

Your “source” is single thread on this forum started by a user who joined three weeks ago

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Who at first says it’s so fast that it feels like his home computer but then goes on to later say it feels faster but not that big of a difference between his old Intel based system. 😂😂😂

And then the video demonstrates YouTube, tik tok and Netflix, all the slow web based “apps”