Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the range reported for the new cells? If it's over 500 then 7 miles off is fine for me haha. Extra 150 miles or so is something id like lol.

You do know that the new battery is a replacement for the current auxiliary 12v battery. It only supposedly slightly affects range due to the extra power usage from the ryzen chip.

These changes will not give you any extra range.

Reactions: Paul4343
The new chip alone cant be the reason for lose in range. The chip being used most likely is the same one in the new Model S which is the AMD Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG (4 core 45-watt Ryzen Embedded) 512 KB L2 cache per core, 4 MB L3 cache. The chip will not use its full power often. Just like your laptop the CPU will very on the speed/power trawl depending on what task it is processing. When the CPU is not doing much, not launching an application or processing a GPS route it will only use very little power I would guess. That's how most modern chips work to keep running cool without large heat sinks and fans involved.

Reactions: Paul4343
What is the range reported for the new cells? If it's over 500 then 7 miles off is fine for me haha. Extra 150 miles or so is something id like lol.
For the new cells (LFP batteries) to arrive in the M3LR it will be quite some time. Right now for the M3LR the only possible update is the new chip and the new 12V Li-Ion battery. The range is not updated other that some Australian forum members reported that they had to sign an agreement about the reduced range because of the new processor. So my guess is that 358 miles went down maybe to about 350 miles with the new chip, i.e. about 2% drop

For the new cells (LFP batteries) to arrive in the M3LR it will be quite some time. Right now for the M3LR the only possible update is the new chip and the new 12V Li-Ion battery. The range is not updated other that some Australian forum members reported that they had to sign an agreement about the reduced range because of the new processor. So my guess is that 358 miles went down maybe to about 350 miles with the new chip, i.e. about 2% drop

To be clear, our LR models recently had a larger capacity battery fitted (from 75 to 82kwh) which saw the range increase from 580kms to 620kms, and approximately 2 months later, they introduced the new chip which reduced it down to around 602kms. Still an increase over the former high voltage battery pack. Only our SR's have the LFP high voltage battery, not LR or P, and when introduced the SR acceleration time reduced by 0.5seconds.

The AMD equipped cars have the new sealed low voltage battery packs.

Our offical range estimates on teslas website have updated every step of the way, has the US tesla site updated with the new range estimates?

To be clear, our LR models recently had a larger capacity battery fitted (from 75 to 82kwh) which saw the range increase from 580kms to 620kms, and approximately 2 months later, they introduced the new chip which reduced it down to around 602kms. Still an increase over the former high voltage battery pack. Only our SR's have the LFP high voltage battery, not LR or P, and when introduced the SR acceleration time reduced by 0.5seconds.

The AMD equipped cars have the new sealed low voltage battery packs.

Our offical range estimates on teslas website have updated every step of the way, has the US tesla site updated with the new range estimates?
The US site has not been updated yet, Model 3 LR range is showing as 358 miles (~576 km)

I understand but that's totally fine. Now there are reports that the new chip reduces range by 12km or 7.5 miles so maybe having the Intel Atom chip is not that bad at all :)
A Ryzen for embedded applications uses up to 54W running at full load, which would only be intermittent when running software that the slower Atom can run. Even running at full load continuously (like if it were crypto mining in the background), it would take 18 hours to consume 1kWh or 4.5 miles of range.

A Ryzen for embedded applications uses up to 54W running at full load, which would only be intermittent when running software that the slower Atom can run. Even running at full load continuously (like if it were crypto mining in the background), it would take 18 hours to consume 1kWh or 4.5 miles of range.
I see, still interesting though that customers in Australia need to sign that agreement about the 12km range reduction with the new chip

It's probably just worse range from the LFP pack so they're blaming it on Ryzen.
LFP RWD Model is not getting a WLTP range drop in Australia. Only the LR and P are losing WLTP rated range (12 & 20km respectively) blamed on the Ryzen where Tesla is asking them to accept that range reduction in their Tesla accounts. Yet all 2022 models are basically 90% confirmed to be getting the Ryzen in Australia by many Tesla SA's and so how the RWD model is getting away without a range drop is unknown, maybe reduction in battery buffer or the 3D7 motor being more efficient maybe which is new to Australia cars.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
My car was built 1/12 and is vin 1539## range. Estimated to deliver next week around 1/28. Wonder if I put it on hold and wait a few days and take it off how far I'll be pushed back and if I'll get a Ryzen car. I'd hate to get one of the last Atom chipset cars.
I was on the edge this morning with a 1/15 build and 158xxx VIN for my M3LR (SA confirmed that it does not have the Ryzen chip). Since I am in no rush, I rejected the VIN and put a hold until 2/16 but my hold might be cancelled automatically around 1/21 since that is my 90-day window from my order date.

I was on the edge this morning with a 1/15 build and 158xxx VIN for my M3LR (SA confirmed that it does not have the Ryzen chip). Since I am in no rush, I rejected the VIN and put a hold until 2/16 but my hold might be cancelled automatically around 1/21 since that is my 90-day window from my order date.

How far back do you think that will put you in line? How did you put a hold on it, just call in?

Since I am in no rush, I rejected the VIN and put a hold until 2/16 but my hold might be cancelled automatically around 1/21 since that is my 90-day window from my order date.
Will the hold auto-cancel, or will the order auto-cancel? (The order agreements says you need to take delivery in the 90-day window.)

I haven't seen Tesla fully enforcing that, but they could.