Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean somebody else sent a video, and I linked a thread. Both of which you are seeming to ignore and dismiss as "BS." I also already explained why there aren't many videos comparing the two right now, but I'm sure there will be in the future. You seem to be entrenched in the (incorrect) opinion that the two chips are similar in performance, despite what anyone else says. The concept of futureproofing is somehow foreign to you, despite history teaching us that old hardware (MCU1) can prove to be problematic as software updates continue to roll out and stress out older hardware. I am convinced that Elon himself could explain the benefits of faster hardware to you, and you would somehow find a way to refute him.

Do a few searches online and you will find endless forum posts of users complaining about slow Youtube, slow Netflix, slow browser speeds, camera lag, camera blackouts, etc. I'm sure you'll come back and say the issues will still be there with the Ryzen, since you're so convinced they're the same performance, but I'd bet a ton of money that you'll be proven wrong in due time.

So why do you think Tesla is going through all the work to make this change if there are no tangible improvements, just for fun?
Tesla is going through this because, 1 there is a global chip shortage and these chips were available. 2 they’re cementing a relationship for future chip tech as being used in the X/S.

Many of the YouTube, Netflix issues are internet connection related vs CPU. I have seen many complaints about slow horrible browsing speeded both on the web browser and Netflix but no one has ever complained that the actual video playback is slow, or weak. I have not experienced and significant issues with Netflix other then the aforementioned browsing headaches. I don’t use the cars web browser, Im fortunate enough to have a blazing fast iPhone 13 Max which means I will never try to surf the internet through a dashboard touchscreen browser.

In college in the 90s I “future proofed” my cassette tape collection by upgrading to CDs. Then in the early 200s I “future proofed” my CDs by replacing them with MP3s for my iPod. Then a few years later I started f”uture proofing” my MP3s by subscribing to Spotify, Pandora and Apple Music.

There’s no such thing as future proofing tech. I’m sorry, but you will learn that first hand yourself one day, Tesla has already started introducing separate CPU and GPU architecture. These chips are already obsolete.

The Model 3 AMD chip is like future proofing your PlayStation 4 by getting the PS4 slim. It’s a little better than the original PS4, but you still want a PS5 and can’t play PS5 games in it.

The funniest thing to me is that most people who are really insistent they wasn’t to best new tech in their Tesla act like they are going to own and drive the car into the ground for 20 years or something. In 5 years from now, your 2022 Tesla will be like buying buying a 2016 Reska today. In 5 years Tesla will probably have a $25,000 model that has twice the features and tech than these 2022 cars.

I’ll be “future proofing” my Tesla by trading it in and upgrading to a better Tesla in 3-4 years.

Tesla is going through this because, 1 there is a global chip shortage and these chips were available. 2 they’re cementing a relationship for future chip tech as being used in the X/S.

Many of the YouTube, Netflix issues are internet connection related vs CPU. I have seen many complaints about slow horrible browsing speeded both on the web browser and Netflix but no one has ever complained that the actual video playback is slow, or weak. I have not experienced and significant issues with Netflix other then the aforementioned browsing headaches. I don’t use the cars web browser, Im fortunate enough to have a blazing fast iPhone 13 Max which means I will never try to surf the internet through a dashboard touchscreen browser.

In college in the 90s I “future proofed” my cassette tape collection by upgrading to CDs. Then in the early 200s I “future proofed” my CDs by replacing them with MP3s for my iPod. Then a few years later I started f”uture proofing” my MP3s by subscribing to Spotify, Pandora and Apple Music.

There’s no such thing as future proofing tech. I’m sorry, but you will learn that first hand yourself one day, Tesla has already started introducing separate CPU and GPU architecture. These chips are already obsolete.

The Model 3 AMD chip is like future proofing your PlayStation 4 by getting the PS4 slim. It’s a little better than the original PS4, but you still want a PS5 and can’t play PS5 games in it.

The funniest thing to me is that most people who are really insistent they wasn’t to best new tech in their Tesla act like they are going to own and drive the car into the ground for 20 years or something. In 5 years from now, your 2022 Tesla will be like buying buying a 2016 Reska today. In 5 years Tesla will probably have a $25,000 model that has twice the features and tech than these 2022 cars.

I’ll be “future proofing” my Tesla by trading it in and upgrading to a better Tesla in 3-4 years.
Tbh the Ryzen processor is a nifty trick, but I’m trying to see an improved Performance Model 3 that can break into the 2.9 second 60 range and/or has improved performance across higher speeds. I came from a Long Range with AB, and honestly getting the performance was a bit underwhelming for me. Sorry a bit off topic, I took delivery of a 22 with atom but I’m in the same boat as you. Upgrade if you can sell for what you paid, no need to be sad for missing out on features since cars are holding values and will keep holding values and future used EV incentives will increase values for used M3s anyhow.

Tbh the Ryzen processor is a nifty trick, but I’m trying to see an improved Performance Model 3 that can break into the 2.9 second 60 range and/or has improved performance across higher speeds. I came from a Long Range with AB, and honestly getting the performance was a bit underwhelming for me. Sorry a bit off topic, I took delivery of a 22 with atom but I’m in the same boat as you. Upgrade if you can sell for what you paid, no need to be sad for missing out on features since cars are holding values and will keep holding values and future used EV incentives will increase values for used M3s anyhow.
Interesting to hear about the M3P vs M3LR + AB comparison. Do we have a separate thread on this? I am considering getting the AB after I take delivery of my M3LR.

Reactions: HarpoonS
I mean somebody else sent a video, and I linked a thread. Both of which you are seeming to ignore and dismiss as "BS." I also already explained why there aren't many videos comparing the two right now, but I'm sure there will be in the future. You seem to be entrenched in the (incorrect) opinion that the two chips are similar in performance, despite what anyone else says. The concept of futureproofing is somehow foreign to you, despite history teaching us that old hardware (MCU1) can prove to be problematic as software updates continue to roll out and stress out older hardware. I am convinced that Elon himself could explain the benefits of faster hardware to you, and you would somehow find a way to refute him.

Do a few searches online and you will find endless forum posts of users complaining about slow Youtube, slow Netflix, slow browser speeds, camera lag, camera blackouts, etc. I'm sure you'll come back and say the issues will still be there with the Ryzen, since you're so convinced they're the same performance, but I'd bet a ton of money that you'll be proven wrong in due time.

So why do you think Tesla is going through all the work to make this change if there are no tangible improvements, just for fun?
Well, possible reasons why Tesla may make the changes are that the new chip may be cheaper, or there may be supply issues with the Intel chip.

Interesting to hear about the M3P vs M3LR + AB comparison. Do we have a separate thread on this? I am considering getting the AB after I take delivery of my M3LR.
Personally, after switching definitely there’s a sense of cool factor riding on the Uberturbines with the quickest version of the Model 3 but, I personally can’t say I launch my vehicle from 0 to 30 at every stop light anyway nor would I visit a drag strip. I’m terrified of any imperfections in the road so I’m not always willing to launch it in fear of absolutely destroying the wheels 😭 The boost is 100% awesome, pretty sure you’d pull away from a performance on a Roll which is quite disappointing for a $6k premium over the LR with boost. I think the Long Range with boost is the perfect car I highly recommend it, makes the car feel much more powerful on launches and rolls. If only a 2022 refresh of the performance was on the table, highly doubting hairpin motor or even 4680 tech will change their standards for performance/range.

This is hilarious. PS4 vs PS5 performance difference is actually an apt analogy for the difference between the atom and Ryzen. Might even be more - it's hard to overstate how crap the atom is.

If you are not playing games on the screen, does it really matter that much which processor (Ryzen or Atom) it is? Seems like if you are just using it for regular car stuff, the more significant recent changes would be the LFP traction battery (in the SR+/RWD model) and the L-NMC 12V battery.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
If you are not playing games on the screen, does it really matter that much which processor (Ryzen or Atom) it is? Seems like if you are just using it for regular car stuff, the more significant recent changes would be the LFP traction battery (in the SR+/RWD model) and the L-NMC 12V battery.
I completely concur. If I was going to delay my delivery for any of these new fear yes it would be the double pane rear glass.

That is truly an upgrade and completely passive. You will reap the benefits of that feature ever single time you drive without even thinking about it. Not counting “showing off” to friends,family. Netflix probably gets play once a month in the car for most users

Last edited:
Reactions: Sporty
This is hilarious. PS4 vs PS5 performance difference is actually an apt analogy for the difference between the atom and Ryzen. Might even be more - it's hard to overstate how crap the atom is.

I won’t even disagree with you. But just to keep the same relative reference point the old AMD Ryzen they are putting into the new model 3 is from the same steaming pile as the intel.

What you really want is the AMD chip with the RDNA graphics and 10 teraflops of processing power. You know the one Elon and Tesla hyped as equal to a PS5 and can play the Witcher 3. Yea, that’s NOT the one they are putting in 3s and Ys. You’re gonna have to upgrade to a S or X of you want the latest and greatest tech.

I won’t even disagree with you. But just to keep the same relative reference point the old AMD Ryzen they are putting into the new model 3 is from the same steaming pile as the intel.

What you really want is the AMD chip with the RDNA graphics and 10 teraflops of processing power. You know the one Elon and Tesla hyped as equal to a PS5 and can play the Witcher 3. Yea, that’s NOT the one they are putting in 3s and Ys. You’re gonna have to upgrade to a S or X of you want the latest and greatest tech.
I'm not sure why you don't seem to understand that the Ryzen and atom are in a completely different tier. As far as intel processors go, a single first gen Ryzen core is somewhere between Haswell and Skylake, which are still far more capable than the Atom that the model 3 came with.

And is there any proof that the AMD chips in the 3/Y don't have comparable graphics to what's found in the S/X? The teardowns don't seem to show any major differences. The main missing components I see are for audio channels and maybe some RAM. And despite Elon's hype, the S/X unit isn't quite PS5 level either.

Even if I am missing something and the GPU is completely different - outside of trying to play games like the Witcher (which I frankly have no desire to do while in the car), the CPU will have a bigger impact on usability.

Edit: Based on these teardowns, it appears to be the same, or at least a similar GPU

MIC Model Y:
Model S: https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2021/11/TESLA-NAVI23GPU-1.jpg

Last edited:
Do they have any proof? That teardown clearly shows a discrete GPU (image 4 -- attached to the mainboard via a flex cable). And said discrete GPU board looks pretty much identical to the board in the Model S.

Also carefully notice in that discussion how the one guy completely calls out the energy use increase in that AMD chip 2 months before Tesla started adding the agreement to the reduction in range for vehicle acceptance

Okay, fair points. However, there's no denying the fact that the Ryzen has better performance and Tesla also took that into consideration. And why are you so hung up on the fact that the 3/Y don't get the GPU from the S/X? If anything, the CPU is more important than the GPU for anything other than playing AAA video games in your car.
What a silly statement. It's blatantly obvious that you can't future proof forever, but you can certainly future-proof for a certain period of time. I've learned first hand that I should not listen to folks like yourself. When I was building my first gaming computer back in 2013, I was assured everywhere I researched that the 4c/4t i5 4670k would be plenty for gaming and the 4c/8t i7 4790k was "overkill." Fast forward to 2018 and flagship games are fully utilizing 8+ threads and the hyperthreading tech that was on the i7. I was forced to upgrade my entire computer sans GPU, whereas if I had just spent the few hundred extra on the 4790k I could have held out for at least another few years.

You think everyone only keeps their cars 3-4 years? And what about the possible scenario in 5 years where the Intel Atom is barely chugging along just like what happened with MCU1, and the Ryzen is still buttery smooth? You keep ignoring this, but try asking any of the people who ordered their S/X around the cutoff of MCU1 if they wish they would have waited a bit to get MCU2.

Reactions: montanaco
Okay, fair points. However, there's no denying the fact that the Ryzen has better performance and Tesla also took that into consideration. And why are you so hung up on the fact that the 3/Y don't get the GPU from the S/X? If anything, the CPU is more important than the GPU for anything other than playing AAA video games in your car.

What a silly statement. It's blatantly obvious that you can't future proof forever, but you can certainly future-proof for a certain period of time. I've learned first hand that I should not listen to folks like yourself. When I was building my first gaming computer back in 2013, I was assured everywhere I researched that the 4c/4t i5 4670k would be plenty for gaming and the 4c/8t i7 4790k was "overkill." Fast forward to 2018 and flagship games are fully utilizing 8+ threads and the hyperthreading tech that was on the i7. I was forced to upgrade my entire computer sans GPU, whereas if I had just spent the few hundred extra on the 4790k I could have held out for at least another few years.

You think everyone only keeps their cars 3-4 years? And what about the possible scenario in 5 years where the Intel Atom is barely chugging along just like what happened with MCU1, and the Ryzen is still buttery smooth? You keep ignoring this, but try asking any of the people who ordered their S/X around the cutoff of MCU1 if they wish they would have waited a bit to get MCU2.
i think what you should really be asking yourself is if cutting edge technology and high performance prices sing is important to you (which is completely legit) how can you NOT expect to trade up in Teslas every 4 years????

Good information there:

Anyone wants to know, the processor is a 4c/8thread 2nd generation embedded Ryzen processor with performance close to a 2400g. When it comes to cinebinch multicore score, the Ryzen 2400g scores 811 and the atom scores around 124

So it is more than 6 times faster than the Intel Atom.

and graphics:
It's the same APU actually as the 4c8t CPU has vega graphics built into it which runs the UI/FSD visualization. However the Model Y doesn't have the separate dedicated gaming GPU that's equivalent to the 6600XT found on the S/X.

As for Atom VS the 2400G with integrated graphics only.

Using 3dmark 2006

Intel Atom: 2152

Ryzen 2400G: 6672

ModelS/X refresh dedicated GPU: 47257

So the graphics are only 3 times as fast as the Atom.

That seems to contradict what you are saying about the performance being the same...

i think what you should really be asking yourself is if cutting edge technology and high performance prices sing is important to you (which is completely legit) how can you NOT expect to trade up in Teslas every 4 years????
If you're just going to resort to red herrings and ignore every single point I'm making here I'm simply not interested in this conversation anymore.

Good information there:

So it is more than 6 times faster than the Intel Atom. That seems to contradict what you are saying...

and graphics:

So the graphics are only 3 times as fast as the Atom.
1642640468129.png

t’s actually closer to only 3x. What you aren’t realizing is that these are benchmarks, not real world applications. The function required of the infotainment system in the Tesla wwill show the chips performing much closer.

But what you are really missing is that both chips are like 10x slower than the refressed S/X amd chip