Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i don’t think there’ll be any hit to trade in value because a car is Dec 2023 vs January 2024. There are no changes in features and the warranties differ by only one month. Tesla doesn’t really do model years like other manufacturers.

Reactions: vickh
i don’t think there’ll be any hit to trade in value because a car is Dec 2023 vs January 2024. There are no changes in features and the warranties differ by only one month. Tesla doesn’t really do model years like other manufacturers.
I'm not sure if it will or not. The enthusiasts on this forum know that there is zero difference between the cars (and we also know when a significant change is made in the middle of a model year) but the general, less informed, public may still put value on the 2024 label.

I had to make this same decision in Oct 2022. After waiting 7 months to get my car, they finally built it in the last week of 2022 production. 2 weeks later when picking up the car there was a mix of 2022 and the first 2023 cars being delivered. At that point I had a choice to make, reject my 2022 and wait a few more weeks (maybe a month) for a 2023. However, at that time Tesla was also starting to remove the USS. The very first 2023 cars sitting next to mine at delivery had the USS still like my 2022 but I knew the first non-USS cars were rolling off the line at Fremont. So I decided to just take delivery of my 2022 as I valued having the USS more than getting a 2023 VIN which would almost certainly be a non-USS car at that point. What sucks is if my car had been built a week later it would have been the best of both worlds....2023 VIN and USS....just like the other cars on the lot that day. There was only a few weeks of 2023 with USS production but that is a sweet unicorn to own!!

I will say, that if there wasn't the USS change going on at the time I would have rejected and waited...what is another month after 7 months?...LOL
I don't know if it will really hurt resale or not in the end but if you have the chance may want to just get the 2024. However, if 2023 discount is significant then I'd just get a 2023.

But Tesla does do model years per the VIN just like every other brand. Guaranteed if you trade or sell a one year older model you will get less.

Reactions: FMinMI and AxelR
But Tesla does do model years per the VIN just like every other brand. Guaranteed if you trade or sell a one year older model you will get less.
the question is how much less? Esp. with Tesla pricing/features changing all the time. I'd rather pay less upfront for the guaranteed savings, esp since I keep cars for a while and no differences b/t current and late '23 models

Also found out that my '23 Y order was built 12/23. Not sure if the KBB etc algorithms have month built in?

That’s why you only buy a Tesla if you plan to keep it a while. Tesla buyers have to understand the resale price is not what they’d expect if they came from say a Honda or Toyota. If you don’t plan to keep it a while lease it.

That’s why you only buy a Tesla if you plan to keep it a while. Tesla buyers have to understand the resale price is not what they’d expect if they came from say a Honda or Toyota. If you don’t plan to keep it a while lease it.

Agree, EV and more specifically Tesla pricing is crazy right now, mostly due to Tesla leading
I lost my shirt on my MYP and feels better when we consider we’re keeping it for a long time

The RWD 2023s come with fog lights and the full array of speakers (13), amps (2), and a sub. The 2024s do not have fog lights and have (only) 7 speakers and a single amp (and *no* sub). For the sound system alone, I just don’t see a January 2024 being worth more than a December 2023…but if insurance wants to charge me less and my state VLF is reduced because it’s a 2023, I’d just see that as a bonus too.

The only disadvantage to buying the 2023 now is that it’s not eligible for the tax rebate; if that matters to you, then the 2024 is prob the better value (even if the sound system isn’t as good).

Last edited:
The RWD 2023s come with fog lights and the full array of speakers (13), amps (2), and a sub. The 2024s do not have fog lights and have (only) 7 speakers and a single amp (and *no* sub). For the sound system alone, I just don’t see a January 2024 being worth more than a December 2023…but if insurance wants to charge me less and my state VLF is reduced because it’s a 2023, I’d just see that as a bonus too.

The only disadvantage to buying the 2023 now is that it’s not eligible for the tax rebate; if that matters to you, then the 2024 is prob the better value (even if the sound system isn’t as good).

Good info. RE: tax credit current inventory discounts on the LR make it better than a RWD. I'm curious when '24 RWD inventory will start discounting.

Reactions: mborkow
Good info. RE: tax credit current inventory discounts on the LR make it better than a RWD. I'm curious when '24 RWD inventory will start discounting.
if you are eligible for the rebate an inventory LR is the best buy right now for sure. I’m not so was looking for the largest discount. I think the pricing dropped so low on the 2023 RWDs because once they lost the rebate they essentially became more expensive than the LR. The only way to move them was to slash the price.

if you are eligible for the rebate an inventory LR is the best buy right now for sure. I’m not so was looking for the largest discount. I think the pricing dropped so low on the 2023 RWDs because once they lost the rebate they essentially became more expensive than the LR. The only way to move them was to slash the price.
I'm eligible, but debating whether the range (and speakers you mentioned) is worth waiting to see if inventory '24 RWD will be even cheaper, by say >$5K?

I just placed my order on Friday from inventory with a 4k discount. I expected to be getting a 2023, but when setting up insurance with the VIN they couldn't find it. They searched as a 2024 and BAM it checked out. I also called tesla to confirm that my MY LR is a 2024. Its a Midnight Silver with White interior. I get it on Thursday, Built in Austin.

That's a good discount for '24! I only got $4900 off for '23 LR but it didn't have any options, so ~$44K. I would have preferred three rows but they're not many discounted ones in AZ

I just placed my order on Friday from inventory with a 4k discount. I expected to be getting a 2023, but when setting up insurance with the VIN they couldn't find it. They searched as a 2024 and BAM it checked out. I also called tesla to confirm that my MY LR is a 2024. Its a Midnight Silver with White interior. I get it on Thursday, Built in Austin.
The range is different so if your range 330 then it is 2023 model and if they are are registering as 2024 then win win for you

There is same exact one I am very tempted to order silver/white $45k 330 range MYLR but don't know if registration will be 2024 or 2023

I'm curious about the length of time we intend to keep the new vehicle, in this case the Tesla Model Y, as it seems resale / trade-in value is top of mind for a number of folks on this forum (X as well as Y threads I've found). My shift from ICE (sprinkled with a couple of hybrid) vehicles (which I have owned over 20 different ones with ~2 years as the average time of ownership) to Tesla has to do with (at the time the hope of) greater ownership experience and lower overall cost of ownership (practicality to hopefully reflect some level of responsible spending that I had / have been terrible at). I catch myself thinking about it frequently behind the wheel of my 2018 Model S and still find that I truly enjoy the car very much; it's a first for me...to own / keep the car this long. At this rate, I can imagine keeping it for another few years as there isn't anything with the latest say Model S that I see as "must-have's"; it's a great car with nice value I'm sure for those intending to spend $70-80K for a nice sedan (I can't imagine justifying spending the same amount on any ICE alternatives).

Anyone see that youtube of 2023 Fisker vs 2020 MYP with aero covers

Total BS
Crazy how hard the competitors are trying dirty tactics to create confusion
I haven't seen it. I have seen "FSR" circling the drain though; although it tries to distance its earnings call as far from that of Tesla as it can (2/26 for its next one), I sense continued bloodbath. Standards aren't typically imposed onto outliers such as Fisker; I can imagine it going down swinging.