Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modified Model S To Take On Pike's Peak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
Model S with aftermarket battery pack will run Pike's Peak race this year. No details on the pack but I'm assuming a high C rate LiPo or LiFePO4 battery pack.

Tesla Model S To Compete For The First Time In Pikes Peak Hill Climb

Details are scarce at the moment but we understand that the lighter battery pack will have a significantly smaller capacity, since having a long driving range doesn’t really matter in racing (as long as the car passes the finishing line).

Fuller has a strong background in lightweight lithium-ion batteries built for motorsport applications as he is also the founder of Braille Battery, official supplier of many racing series around the globe, including Indycars.

Reactions: e-FTW and J1mbo
Isn't the pack 96s74p? they could potentially remove most of those parallel cells and add in more cooling.

In a Tesla pack, every cell is individually fused. If you're going to keep the same power output but remove 80% of the cells, you'll blow all of the fuses - and I don't think the cells themselves can handle the ~25C discharge rates that'd be involved.

It's probably a ~400V collection of cells, but they'll be LiPo or something else that can handle high discharge rates, custom built. Maybe similar to the packs of white zombie and zombie 222 (electric conversion drag racers.)

Don't forget about all the airbags, noise dampening, speakers, A/C, replace the windows with lightweight plastic, should be able to get there. I'd also guess the 800lbs lighter is before the roll cage.

For a race car, ideally the chargers would be external. One of the threads here said they were quite heavy.
Possible, although from looking at this picture from this article, I think I see an onboard charger there.
goxkdted6dat9dmw3kn9.JPG

Haha, I've been busted :)
There are some things being cooked for Model S, especially the older RWD ones - with motorsport in mind. How about an aftermarket replacement inverter that never overheats on the track..
How will you prevent the motor itself from overheating though? My understanding is that the rotor in particular is a limiting factor.