Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moncton to Montreal in late December

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DSFX

Aug 1, 2023
Canada
I'm going on vacation with my family over Christmas. Because of the cost of domestic flights in Canada we have decided to drive from Moncton to Montreal where we will fly out. We have a new MYLR and I haven't done a winter with it yet. I wanted to know if this was a doable drive? Also if I top up to 80-90% and leave the car at a hotel or airport and turn off Sentry Mode, will the car be ok if it's left for 3-4 weeks in the cold? I don't want to come back to a dead car.

I was looking at this thread but wasn't sure about the impact the cold will have on the car and leaving it at the airport.

I'm going on vacation with my family over Christmas. Because of the cost of domestic flights in Canada we have decided to drive from Moncton to Montreal where we will fly out. We have a new MYLR and I haven't done a winter with it yet. I wanted to know if this was a doable drive? Also if I top up to 80-90% and leave the car at a hotel or airport and turn off Sentry Mode, will the car be ok if it's left for 3-4 weeks in the cold? I don't want to come back to a dead car.

I was looking at this thread but wasn't sure about the impact the cold will have on the car and leaving it at the airport.
Welcome aboard. This is TOTALLY DOABLE. Just plan your stops so all will be good. The car "know". "Trust the force" - Jedi reference.

We do a lot of trips in our M3 LRAWD and I have yet to experience any anxieties.

Reactions: UncleCreepy

It should be fine using Telsa SCs all the way but Quebec also has lots of CCS1 DCF chargers along the all Canada route, so personally, I'd want to have a CCS1 adapter in the car. They're really inexpensive these days and you never know what winter will throw at you.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Safe rule is car looses 1% battery in first day or two then 0.5% (or less) daily after that.
Suggest not only turning off Sentry Mode and disabling any 3rd party apps but log out of your Tesla app while gone.
Spacing of Tesla superchargers on Trans Canada is good even for winter. CCS or CHADEMO (if you can find one used) adapters are like a spare tire. You hope to never have to use it but nice if it is there {Supercharger out of service (rare but happens), peak times etc}.

Suspect battery will be fine. Seconding avoiding parking at YUL, especially don’t use Park N Fly (even with their offer of Tesla charging while you’re away) - they routinely overbook (online “booking” guarantees nothing) and it’s quite possible you’ll turn up and be told to go spin, like I was last year. Super unprofessional and I wouldn’t trust my car there for a minute.

FYI Via Rail goes almost to the terminal at YUL - short shuttle bus.

Terrible advice. What do you do when you head back on a delayed flight at 1 AM when you have zero ground transportation options. Don't ask me how I know. Park you car at the airport and don't worry about it. Done that many times and this car theft deal @Randy-12 does not apply to Tesla.
Zero ground transport options? Not sure about that. Just saying…

And as for steeling a Tesla, a lot of cars in Montreal are just pulled onto a flat bed tow truck and stollen that way. Chop shops work all night long as do the containers in the port.

But to each their own. It is your choice to make. For me I leave my car at home and taxi in.

Terrible advice. What do you do when you head back on a delayed flight at 1 AM when you have zero ground transportation options. Don't ask me how I know. Park you car at the airport and don't worry about it. Done that many times and this car theft deal @Randy-12 does not apply to Tesla.
Terrible? I mean sure, if flights were routinely delayed it wouldn't be great to rely on scheduled transport like trains, but they're not and the trains run great. I think most of us are smart enough to factor in a buffer for small delays, just like you do between flight segments.

Personally if I'm delayed until that time in the early hours I look for a hotel and travel the next day. There's about seven hotels right at the airport in Montreal and god knows how many with a short taxi ride. I guess you didn't think of that.