Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montana LLC for sales tax? (Moving to LA which has 10.4% sales tax)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done the Montana LLC for sales tax avoidance? I have a new Job in New Orleans, LA and I just found out the local sales tax would be over 10%.

Looking at getting MS Plaid w/19" wheels, white interior, ultra red.

Currently have a Model Y performance, 2022, nice car but requires 2 charging trips hoping to get down to no charging trips.

Has anyone done the Montana LLC for sales tax avoidance? I have a new Job in New Orleans, LA and I just found out the local sales tax would be over 10%.

Looking at getting MS Plaid w/19" wheels, white interior, ultra red.

Currently have a Model Y performance, 2022, nice car but requires 2 charging trips hoping to get down to no charging trips.
I think most states are wise to these schemes. I know people try this with aircraft, but few get away with it.

I won't tell you how to do it but it can be done in plain sight and so obvious yet tightly legal. There are some minimum requirements to meet then all is good.

Many, not few, get away with this. Kinda like how many businesses are registered in Delaware and how many don't pay taxes. There are loopholes that the government created themselves that people take full advantage of.

Consult an awesome attorney and you won't regret it.

Wouldn't you have to run with Montana license plates? I know in California, they love to pull over out of state plates and then if you have a California license you better have a good story. It happened to me when my Mother in Law drove her Jeep out to visit us and then had to fly back for a family emergency. Ended up being several months before she could come back out. In the meantime I drove it every few weeks and got pulled over once. With the insurance, reg, etc in her name (and I was telling the truth!) the officer believed me and let me go. In your case, you are going to be running a Montana-registered car in your name, with insurance in your name, and a LA drivers license. I doubt it will go well.

I have heard of people doing this with RVs but they aren't driven every day and are often driven out of state so it's common to see them with out of state plates. It's still a roll of the dice though.

I actually found out about this while watching drag times;

notice all his cars have Montana Plates. I could careless about the plates. Yes I would pay one of the many companies that do this where they register an LLC in Montana... the whole thing would cost about $570.00 to setup with the renewals and registration fees coming to about $275.00/annually.

I actually found out about this while watching drag times;

notice all his cars have Montana Plates. I could careless about the plates. Yes I would pay one of the many companies that do this where they register an LLC in Montana... the whole thing would cost about $570.00 to setup with the renewals and registration fees coming to about $275.00/annually.

I guarantee you he's got an attorney on retainer with probably a $50-100k retainer fee. As I've said, it's very doable. Go find an awesome attorney.

As a side note, a Plaid is not even worth the hassle. Montana plates are for $300-400k Aventador level business purchases.

The thought of someone financing a quarter million dollar (or more) depreciating asset and then being concerned about registration & sales tax is more than a little bit comical. Talk about stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

I got a 250% return on investment from driving my Lambo around town for 6 years. My Lotus did 300%. I wish Teslas were like those depreciating assets.

Reactions: cmarshack