Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moon Roof Won't Completely Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience this?

I know you can't be driving to fast (I think its over 70mph) when you go to close it. Otherwise it won't close all the way. But this is happening when I'm parked and not moving at all.

If I open and close the roof enough times it will eventually close properly, but this has never happened to me until yesterday. Now it's happening every other time I go to close it. Here are some pictures. The last one is what it looks like when it's closed properly.

20140522_094853.jpg

20140522_094855.jpg

20140522_094901.jpg

20140522_094959.jpg

Mine was doing something similar, but closing much closer to fully. Since it was intermittent, the service center had a hard time figuring it out till I kept it that way and took it in. Eventually they replaced the glass, the seals, and one of the two motors driving the roof. It's been fine since, but then there was a little gap behind the right rear corner of the sliding part of the roof and the seal behind it. Since I'd been there about three times for related problems, they just sent a ranger out today and he beefed up the seal and it seems perfect now.

As to the not-closing, they found that something had been crimped a little along the left side track, making that motor work a little harder according to their monitoring equipment. (I thought it pretty impressive that their diagnostics are that deep.) The motor was fine, but since it'd been working harder than the other one (there are two motors driving the roof) they replaced it. Overall, despite requiring a few interactions, I'd say they handled it extremely well, and generously.

I'd open the sunroof all the way and look in the tracks for any debris you may have picked up while driving with it open. It's so close to closing maybe it's squishing something in there. Maybe get a step stool and look at it from the top (I don't have my car with me to check where the tracks are most visible).....

-m

I have had this problem twice now. First time it would not resolve itself so into the service centre again! Second time it seemed to correct itself.

I love this car but the constant back and forth to the service centre is really starting to piss me off!

Mine will always close, but it doesn't seem to like to "Vent". It just kinda groans a bit and barely moves. I have to open it to some extent, then close it back to the "vent" position to get it to work.

I don't really like "vent" anyway. It really means "open just a little". I wish it was a true tilt or slide sunroof like I've had on past cars.

I've often closed mine at highway speeds without issue. It seems like it should be able to close pretty much any time you want it to.

I don't really like "vent" anyway. It really means "open just a little". I wish it was a true tilt or slide sunroof like I've had on past cars.
In the cars I've had, "vent" meant to tip the back of the window up. The way the Model S roof works, this can basically be achieved by simply opening the roof a tiny amount, because when it opens it first tips the back of the roof up and then starts moving backwards. It seems like a reasonable compromise to me considering the complexity saved in having a comply separate tilt mechanism. If complaints on here are any indication, the roof has had its share of problems as it is without adding any further complexity.

In the cars I've had, "vent" meant to tip the back of the window up. The way the Model S roof works, this can basically be achieved by simply opening the roof a tiny amount, because when it opens it first tips the back of the roof up and then starts moving backwards. It seems like a reasonable compromise to me considering the complexity saved in having a comply separate tilt mechanism. If complaints on here are any indication, the roof has had its share of problems as it is without adding any further complexity.

I've owned multiple cars with power tilt and slide roofs and never had a single problem. What I like about the tilt option is that it's relatively quiet on the highway. The Model S does tilt up when opened slightly, but because it is starting to roll back, it leaves a noise-making gap on the leading edge. Not the end of the world for sure.

Mine will always close, but it doesn't seem to like to "Vent". It just kinda groans a bit and barely moves. I have to open it to some extent, then close it back to the "vent" position to get it to work.

I had this same issue. It took two trips but they fixed it now and works perfectly.

I had this same issue. It took two trips but they fixed it now and works perfectly.

Funny thing is, I never had any problems with the pano roof at all. The second last time I was in, they did some TSB work to address some sort of squeaks/rattles that I never had. Now I have this issue. I mentioned it and was told a firmware upgrade (I think it was 5.9) was supposed to address it by controlling the apparently two motors that are in there differently. It didn't. Again, not a huge deal because I basically never use "vent".

Funny thing is, I never had any problems with the pano roof at all. The second last time I was in, they did some TSB work to address some sort of squeaks/rattles that I never had. Now I have this issue. I mentioned it and was told a firmware upgrade (I think it was 5.9) was supposed to address it by controlling the apparently two motors that are in there differently. It didn't. Again, not a huge deal because I basically never use "vent".

For parking I really liked the 15% setting that they took away. I never open the pano roof when moving. The vent position doesn't help air flow and every other position is just too noisy and too bright in the daytime.

I've owned multiple cars with power tilt and slide roofs and never had a single problem. What I like about the tilt option is that it's relatively quiet on the highway. The Model S does tilt up when opened slightly, but because it is starting to roll back, it leaves a noise-making gap on the leading edge. Not the end of the world for sure.
Well my point was that there appears to be a fairly large number of problems with the current implementation even without the additional complexity of a completely independent tilt mechanism.

And it's not like other manufacturers have this down, either. I had a previous car that smashed and warped its weather stripping if you used the tilt function, eventually causing the roof to leak. It was in nearly half a dozen times and was never fixed in the entire 5 years I owned it. Another got stuck in the tilted up position and imploded its motor when the dealership tried to retract it. Tilting can definitely cause additional issues.

Well my point was that there appears to be a fairly large number of problems with the current implementation even without the additional complexity of a completely independent tilt mechanism.

Fair enough. I was actually surprised to learn that there are two motors in there, and that through software, Tesla was able to modify how they work in tandem to address certain issues.