Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-ev gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like lazy, sloppy reporting to me. He's mixing up supercharging with charging and dual charging.

I edited my post but I think he is referring to the HPC actually. He's said multiple times that he doesn't think the 'average' US home can handle a 100A line without thousands and thousands of dollars of electrical work. I ran 2 14-50 lines to my garage and they had to dig a tunnel in my back yard over 10 hours and it was $1,100. This is on an old house too.

Of course he picks 18 hours as the more conventional option. Even charging on a 14-30 at 24 A, Tesla estimates 16 hours.

I'm going to guess this confused him. I almost read that column as # of hours to recharge, too.

ModelSChargeRate.png

The data for the 12 months ended March 2012 show a shift:

Coal: 40.3%
NG and other gases: 27.0%
Nuclear: 19.3%
Hydro: 7.7%
Other renewables: 5.0%
Petrochemical and coke: 0.7%
Other: 0.3%

This is from the EIA current data. Using the CO2 data from @Dan5 we get 526 g/kWh, down markedly from the 2009 value of 645 g/kWh, or 0.1579 kg/mile with a 300w/mile vehicle. Using the calculations, that equates to 69.4 mpg. Yeah!

I just used this here: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/06/first-drive-teslas-model-s-electric-is-spectacular/1
(trying to stay on top of comments on USA Today given the profile)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't bother wasting your time on thedetroitbureau.com. He made the same arguments a couple of years ago, he was comprehensively proven wrong, he eventually threw in the towel and now obviously has selective amnesia.

You're probably right. Thought it was worth a shot. When you say '18 hours' to recharge (he's assuming a NEMA 14-30 which almost no one would install since they'd go straight to a NEMA 14-50) and I pointed out that at 24A the 85 kWh pack would actually recharge in 16 hours, he said that 18 hours and 16 hours are close enough. That's "journalism" for you.

Last edited:
Ever wonder how someone would feel if they had all their money tied up in company A and company T was about to produce a product that utilized a competing technology that would effectively drive the former company out of business?

Looked up some Axion Power faq's and it only took one to see what's going on...

AXION POWER INTL INC Stock Chart | AXPW Interactive Chart - Yahoo! Finance

Didn't know the stock had tanked since it's inception and is losing ground to it's competitors...

So why hasn't this product tech helped? : Axion Power, Rosewater Energy Group Developing A Power Quality And Energy Storage Cube For The Residential Market - Yahoo! Finance

Hmmm, wonder if that product would compete with another companies storage product?

U.S. DOE Awards Grant to Axion Power International to Fund Commercialization Plan for PbC® Batteries In Micro-Hybrid Vehicles - Yahoo! Finance

"This is a very important grant for Axion Power, not just for the financial assistance being provided, but for the acknowledgement by the DOE of the potential benefits of our PbC technology in new and innovative constructs and designs," Granville said. "Our technology is ideal for the new world of environmentally friendly, technologically advanced automotive vehicles. Our PbC batteries test out at a consistent high rate of charge acceptance for upwards of 5 years of usage. PbC's can be recharged quickly, have a proven safety record and are 100 percent recyclable - unlike some of the more exotic chemistries like lithium-ion batteries. We look forward to working closely with the DOE to demonstrate different potential applications that our PbC batteries offer for the hybrid and micro-hybrid markets."

There has been a lot of talk of repurposing spent EV batteries for utility storage. If this is the case, then Axion Power is facing huge competition from EVs in all aspects, especially when you consider that second life batteries will be much cheaper than new PbC batteries. Also, if EVs take off, micro-hybrids will be largely ignored as well. JP is a fool if he doesn't realize this, which is why he has such an agenda against EVs in my opinion.

Finally a logical fact based article on seeking alpha:

EV Myths And Realities, Part 2: Green As The Grid - Seeking Alpha

Some of the comments are unreal. Some admit to not reading the article and insist he is wrong!

Great article with nice sources the illustrate the marginal mix of electricity. Much better than Glenn's article which had the forgone conclusion that EVs must always be the marginal load and that only coal and natural gas will ever be used to power it (no references cited at all either).

Well Nick does not disagree that either coal and NG will be used for marginal load, he just projects that it will be mostly NG going forward.

I think the implicit assumption of Nick's graph of marginal emissions going 100 years into the future is that marginal load will be neither coal or NG because he figures 220g CO2/kWh by 2050 and 50 gCO2/kWh by 2100, which is not achieve-able with NG because 100% efficient combustion of NG gives 198g CO2/kWh.

Last edited: