Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More excellent efficiency to report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya, I'm not sure how you guys are getting efficiencies this high. My work commute is mostly surface streets with a short stretch of freeway in the afternoon. I'm getting around 240-250 Wh/mi. My S used to do this same route and get around 320-330 Wh/mi.

I have a longer all-freeway trip I typically do on the weekends, I've seen 230 Wh/mi from the 3 on that route. My S used to do 280-290 on that route.

This is Houston, so the HVAC is always running, and I have 19" sport wheels. I suspect the Aero wheels would make a fairly noticeable difference.

Ya, I'm not sure how you guys are getting efficiencies this high. My work commute is mostly surface streets with a short stretch of freeway in the afternoon. I'm getting around 240-250 Wh/mi. My S used to do this same route and get around 320-330 Wh/mi.

I have a longer all-freeway trip I typically do on the weekends, I've seen 230 Wh/mi from the 3 on that route. My S used to do 280-290 on that route.

This is Houston, so the HVAC is always running, and I have 19" sport wheels. I suspect the Aero wheels would make a fairly noticeable difference.

Factor (more is ...)
Temperature (better, to a point)
Humidity (better)
Elevation changes (worse)
Elevation (better)
Speed (worse)
Speed changes (worse)
Wheels (worse)
Tire pressures (better)
HVAC (worse, especially heating)

Could be a number of things.

Temperature (better, to a point)
HVAC (worse, especially heating)
I don't have a Model 3 to report yet, but to my surprise my Prime gets some of its best fuel economy of the year in our summers that skirt 100F. I've presumed that it means the benefit from higher temperatures outweighs the A/C cost, at least in a non-humid climate.

I don't have a Model 3 to report yet, but to my surprise my Prime gets some of its best fuel economy of the year in our summers that skirt 100F. I've presumed that it means the benefit from higher temperatures outweighs the A/C cost, at least in a non-humid climate.

The Prime has the standard Prius fan cooling so there's no much extra power needed. In a Prius, If you're cooling the cabin, you're cooling the battery.

In a car with a large fully-temperature-managed battery, we should expect more energy to be used to cool the battery.

Interesting. You're saying your S gets 280-290 which is under rating. That's what I tend to get on my S as well on good days. I was going to say the difference is HVAC, since here in MA, I haven't needed A/C yet (today was the exception, we had a freak 90F day after averaging 50s). I think if I had the A/C running, I'd be closer to 200 or 210. 230 seems high, given our S efficiencies are in-line. I can't explain it.

I got 215wh/mi on today’s commute home... about 35 miles, with speeds between 40-65mph, mostly flat and 72 degrees.

This morning on the way in (same route in reverse) it was 280wh/mi but it was at much higher speeds and colder (52 degrees).

So what are the typical ranges people are seeing with the Bolt?
After 1075 miles, 212 w/mi (4.71 mi/kWh).

Last charge at 88% (hilltop reserve setting for regen storage after charging), distance traveled was 246.4 miles using 46.1 kWh, so about 195 w/mile (5.128 mi/kWh). EPA range of 238 miles is easily beaten even with 88% charge.

I've got the 19" sport rims. I typically get 195-210kh/m on my 130 mile SD-LA trip to work in the mid afternoon. Average more like 215-230 on way back LA-SD very late at night. I set the AP to cruise at 65 and don't touch it most of the trip. Typically AC set to low on fan speed 1 to work and no climate control on the way back except for occasional set warmer use. Afternoons to work have some traffic. Return trip is mostly clear. Factors affecting my drives range from speed(highest impact), temp, and wind direction and velocity(lowest impact). If it gets below around 58 degrees, I notice a significant uptick in kh/m.(20-30, I'm guessing to keep the battery warm).

For a 260 mile round trip, I usually use a little under 80% (95start-15finish)of the battery depending on how much drains for the 24-48hrs I'm gone.

And yes, that's the wife's Volt in my spot :)
IMG_8097.jpg

Are we reading the numbers off the screen or calculating actual consumption?

If you just read some of the numbers off the screen, then that’s not the full picture, as encouraging as these numbers are - especially relative to the S/X.

If one of you would try the following, it would be helpful:

Charge to a percentage. Let’s call it 90%. Without charging in the interim, please drive over the course of a few commuting days until the charge equals a lower number. Say 20%.

Note miles driven since last charge. Perhaps that number is 120 miles.

Now here’s the fun part, for which you’ll need to know how many rated miles you get at 100%:

90%-20% = 70%.
Miles driven = 120.

Divide miles driven by percentage used to get estimates range from a full charge:

120/0.70 = 171.4 miles

Divide that by your full charge rated range (I’ll use 283 miles as that’s my current max, down from 294 a year ago when I picked up the car from the factory)

171.4/283 = 60.6%

Call that a 40% range hit from the effect of short in-town trips with HVAC and hills and such.

Your efficiency in a Model 3 should be better. My question is how much.

For bonus points, calculate relative MPG. For this, you’ll need the size of your battery in kW, current price per kW and the current price of a gallon of gas in your ‘hood:

I have an S90D. Without getting into the discussion of usable kW, lets just call the pack size 90kW for the sake of round numbers.

From the above, 70% of a full charge got me 120 miles.

70% of 90kW = 63kW.

63kW * $0.26 = $16.38 - what I’d pay with a Model 3 at a CA SC.

Current price of premium gas at Costco (which is what my last ICE required in the dark days B.T.) = $3.64 *twitch*

$16.38/$3.64 = 4.5 gallons

120 miles / 4.5 gallons = 27 MPG.

So... still better than what my last ICE got in town - for trips under 5 miles before the engine components fully warmed up, 17 MPG was the norm. But not as good as a decent hybrid. I don’t like hybrids* but that’s neither here nor there.

Well, there ya go. Hope that helps, especially if you’re non-garaged and want to budget realistically your credit card impact each month from the SCs.

Again, the Model 3 should be better than the above numerical example.

* Nope - don’t like ‘em at all. Pick a side, ffs.

P.S. Seen the April numbers for Model 3 impact upon the medium-sized car segment? *Very* encouraging and most of the competition gets worse city mileage as well.

Are we reading the numbers off the screen or calculating actual consumption?

If you just read some of the numbers off the screen, then that’s not the full picture, as encouraging as these numbers are - especially relative to the S/X.

Going by the your steps, for my commuting so far this week, i'm currently at 104.5% efficiency.

Moreover, for the charging costs I've incurred so far versus mileage driven, the premium fuel going into my last vehicle is 4.75x more expensive than electricity going into my Model 3 per mile.

Last edited: