Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 changes and leasing now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd need to make more money than I do in California to be able to live in Missouri. It's the only way I'd be able to afford to fly somewhere every weekend with an acceptable climate and things to do besides people-watching at walmart.

(See how fun being smug over stupid crap can be?)

Ohh the good old Midwest Walmart joke haha

Unless you make 250k or more per year (or maybe even more) you probably can't live the lifestyle I do with me and my wifes combined 100k a year in the midwest. She's from Orange county..we go there 3-4 times a year its good enough to see family..go to yosemite, beaches etc. We also fly out of the country..been to NZ, Iceland, Europe, Russia World cup etc... Everyone spends their money how they please for some people they prefer to spend more of it to get up to 70 degree weather everyday to work all year so they can afford to live there...others like us prefer 2-3 months of cold weather so we can afford much more house, car, safety, travel, retirement, etc She's actually over there now visiting family and hanging out in Laguna while everyone else who lives there has to work. To me working 50-70 hours a week like most of our friends in the 25-30s year range in California doesn't make sense...plus all the traffic and hectic lifestyle..no thanks...I like the laid back midwest hospitality...I grew up in Jersey, then in Florida... I've lived everywhere in the US as I was an athlete years back. I settled in the midwest cause I can have a back yard while still having a downtown within walking distance..dog parks..etc and not have to worry about having to live in a sketchy area in California cause all I could afford is a 250-300k house over there...I got a house for 126k that would literally be worth 1mil in California. I fixed it up now worth 220k in less than 3 years. Now i am not here to brag this is a TESLA forum...I was just making the justification for some people being able to afford a 35-50k vehicle in some states compared to other states... Home costs are everything..if you have low home costs (your most important expense) that dictate a lot of what you can and can't do. While certain areas offer more opportunity to grow and make big bucks..that requires losing years of "sacrifice" to possibly make it in a big position to make 300k+ at the sacrifice of your time with family, friends, life. My current company has office locations in Irvine, CA...I have been offered to work there for a 25% salary increase...I laughed and said...nah you go get some schmuck over there...I am happy here with our salaries and lifestyle.

BTW you can fly St. Louis to Florida for 120 round trip to many warm places...so your point is null.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdoss
Time to update my Model 3 info sheet again. Anybody know what the new price is for Long Range RWD?

Feel free to download and modify it for your own use, such as image of your 3 and your referral code. I keep a few of them in my car to hand out when people ask questions, and print up extras for when I attend events like National Drive Electric Week . Download instructions and link in this tweet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 10.41.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 10.41.55 AM.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 74
I honestly don't give a sh!t, because I'm not in the market for a Tesla.

Well why the hell are you here then, self flagellation?

Tesla is a business, yes, so you and I agree that they should not have announced the Model 3 at $35K, because they cannot deliver it profitably. My argument for a long time was that they knew they could not do so, possibly as far back as 2016, and thus the $35K car was a promise they had no intention to fulfill, that they used to get deposits. It's more than a bit shady, in my eyes.

They've satisfied the promise, but it won't last long, in my opinion. If you care about the company, you should hope it doesn't.

If I care about the company? I'm really not worried about the long term financial health of Tesla, who just made the huge loan payment that was due, with cash, when there were scads of people insisting that it wouldn't be possible.

Tesla have huge cash reserves. I'm not worried that if they don't sell a $35,000 car they are going to die.

What's funny is you insist Tesla needs a relatively inexpensive car to survive in the market yet you simultaneously don't acknowledge that selling a cheap car that they lose money on will kill them faster than demand slowing on their more profitable cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Spice
Well why the hell are you here then, self flagellation?

If I care about the company? I'm really not worried about the long term financial health of Tesla, who just made the huge loan payment that was due, with cash, when there were scads of people insisting that it wouldn't be possible.

Tesla have huge cash reserves. I'm not worried that if they don't sell a $35,000 car they are going to die.

What's funny is you insist Tesla needs a relatively inexpensive car to survive in the market yet you simultaneously don't acknowledge that selling a cheap car that they lose money on will kill them faster than demand slowing on their more profitable cars.

As I said in a previous post...these people make no sense...someone show me a LEAF, VOLT, NIRO, KONA, etc that is 35k with the same options as TESLA MODEL 3 SR+ etc..there isn't the best deal for EV in my opinion is a model 3 even if its 39k or 42k you're getting way more for way less than these other car companies sell...look at the range of those other options..and the materials...technology...its laughable..

Reactions: Mdoss
I bought one in December and took the 2K AP upgrade last month. Yes, I'm mad. Self-pity? I suppose you could call it that. But it's really just a massive dent in my loyalty to the brand. There will be a lot of alternatives to Tesla very soon. Rather than grabbing another Tesla to replace our second car, I think I'll take a step back and see what the market does over the next 18 months or so. The Camry will last that long. Love the car, but I can love another.

I bought one in December and took the 2K AP upgrade last month. Yes, I'm mad. Self-pity? I suppose you could call it that. But it's really just a massive dent in my loyalty to the brand. There will be a lot of alternatives to Tesla very soon. Rather than grabbing another Tesla to replace our second car, I think I'll take a step back and see what the market does over the next 18 months or so. The Camry will last that long. Love the car, but I can love another.

How so? Did you know people paid less for that Toyota Camry than you did? Is there a massive dent in your loyalty for Toyota too?

What about gas, food, electronics, insurance, real-estate, etc? Hows your loyalty with those companies just because someone paid less than you did?

That's ridiculous... honestly.

If you want to wait for other car manufacturers than that's fine. No big deal. But don't go crying to anyone when you find out a dealership in California or where ever is charging less for that car then what you paid.

Watching Tesla change S/X/3 pricing and included features/option packages so many times over the past year or so has been fascinating. Tesla is basically experimenting with dynamic pricing, just like airlines and other businesses have been doing for years now. But people aren’t used to a car manufacturer doing it.

People are used to car dealerships changing prices in real time during the process of buying a car, as well as constantly trying to up sell them with all kinds of bait and switch tactics, so used to it that many people don’t realize that it’s happening to them.

I’m impressed by Tesla’s willingness to make pricing adjustments as they see fit, and ignore the bad PR that results from it. Ultimately the company has to survive, and I believe it very likely will because the products are so compelling and the competition is still years behind and is saddled with an inefficient dealership model that can’t be dumped.

This is a weak argument, and I think you know it. The car was promised at $35K in 2017, not "well basically an equivalent $37K in 2019."

The car is here, but not really. And Tesla truly wishes it wasn't. I've already said this in a couple places elsewhere but I'll spell it out for you here. There's proof that Tesla had no intention of building the SR, and that lies in the fact they never bothered to certify it. The SR+ presently has a certification, so it begs the question, if you were going to sell both, wouldn't you certify both at the same time? Especially for a variant of an already approved EV? Wouldn't that be like the easiest certification ever to apply for and receive?

No, they announced the SR and SR+ at the same time, certified only the SR+ and gave it a month or so in the hopes they could upsell any SR buyers to SR+ in the meantime. Any SR people who held out are now being given an SR+ with a few things turned off, and once they fill any existing orders it will be discontinued. And Tesla and people here will be able to say years later that they did sell a $35K, but "no one wanted it".

The $35K Model 3 does not exist, it's a $39K Model 3 being sold at a loss to satisfy a very small number of folks, including Elon himself, and possibly to avoid a class action lawsuit.

Elon's biggest blunder was announcing he would sell the Model 3 for $35K, which we can all agree now that he cannot profitably do.

It's not a weak argument because its FACTUALLY true. Any 35K in 2016 is 37K today. Check inflation calculators yourself if you don't believe me.

Regardless, the $35K Model 3 is here today and you can order one. Full stop.

Anything Tesla wants to do, after this month or whatever is up their discretion.

The 35K Model 3 today with the partial premium interior is a ridiculous deal. Anyone who KNOWS about AND doesn't take it have to forever hold their silence.

I honestly don't give a sh!t, because I'm not in the market for a Tesla.

Tesla is a business, yes, so you and I agree that they should not have announced the Model 3 at $35K, because they cannot deliver it profitably. My argument for a long time was that they knew they could not do so, possibly as far back as 2016, and thus the $35K car was a promise they had no intention to fulfill, that they used to get deposits. It's more than a bit shady, in my eyes.

They've satisfied the promise, but it won't last long, in my opinion. If you care about the company, you should hope it doesn't.

Honestly, you are being a fool if you are just the slightest interested in a Tesla and not jump on what is offered right now. You cannot show me a better car for the money. You can use any objective or subjective measure you want.

For a company that runs through billions, $1,000 refundable deposits is not as big a deal as you make it out to be. Doesn't even pay for the cost of breakroom breaks.

Tesla should be refunding you $1000 - 30 cents + 2.9% to make up for what it cost them to take your deposit. People got points off of their deposit if we want to get really picky about it.

I myself took beatings when I said the $35K Model would not be profitable. it never was, and wont at least through 2019.
It's not going out on a limb to say that. We have people like @bro1999 aka brostradumazz that thinks he's a genius or something to state the completely obvious.

Promise is fulfilled for anyone who ordered and people can STILL make orders.

They are getting a better Model 3 than they were promised for 35K.

They are getting a Model 3 that is CHEAPER than 35K (yes, inflation is a REAL THING) when it was announced in 2016.

Go buy a Tesla already @mattjs33 - you got no excuses man. ;)

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
The SR (phone orders only) now is a software limited battery, and SR+ interior , software locked heated seats, with auto pilot for $35K!
This was confirmed by another poster on this forum, that placed their order this morning.

No FUSCKIN way.

Trying to figure out how many more Model 3s I can buy just because I want a killer deal. LOL

It's not a weak argument because its FACTUALLY true. Any 35K in 2016 is 37K today. Check inflation calculators yourself if you don't believe me.

Regardless, the $35K Model 3 is here today and you can order one. Full stop.

Anything Tesla wants to do, after this month or whatever is up their discretion.

The 35K Model 3 today with the partial premium interior is a ridiculous deal. Anyone who KNOWS about AND doesn't take it have to forever hold their silence.

Honestly, you are being a fool if you are just the slightest interested in a Tesla and not jump on what is offered right now. You cannot show me a better car for the money. You can use any objective or subjective measure you want.

For a company that runs through billions, $1,000 refundable deposits is not as big a deal as you make it out to be. Doesn't even pay for the cost of breakroom breaks.

Tesla should be refunding you $1000 - 30 cents + 2.9% to make up for what it cost them to take your deposit. People got points off of their deposit if we want to get really picky about it.

I myself took beatings when I said the $35K Model would not be profitable. it never was, and wont at least through 2019.
It's not going out on a limb to say that. We have people like @bro1999 aka brostradumazz that thinks he's a genius or something to state the completely obvious.

Promise is fulfilled for anyone who ordered and people can STILL make orders.

They are getting a better Model 3 than they were promised for 35K.

They are getting a Model 3 that is CHEAPER than 35K (yes, inflation is a REAL THING) when it was announced in 2016.

Go buy a Tesla already @mattjs33 - you got no excuses man. ;)

haha That's what I been saying...show me a 35-50k EV that gives you what a Model 3 does..NON... sure a Kona or Leaf can get you from A to B but will it turn heads? Will it drive as fast? Will it be as enjoyable...will it offer heating on all seats..the sound system as model 3... the looks... etc..the fact is the MODEL 3 is the least expensive of all EV's out right now... Spec any of the other EVs with similar specs as a model 3 and you will find they go above the $45k price range...Look at the new polestar that will probably be the closes in terms of materials to a model 3 and it will start selling at like $60k and down to $45k for a 220 mile range.

Are you similarly angry when you buy a Camry and the next month Toyota offers a generous factory cash rebate of $3,000 to buyers that you won't get?

If anyone should be miffed it's those of us who bought Performance of dual motor at full rip in 2018 and have watched the prices plummet. It was a bit irritating but I'm over it.

Those of you irate over a couple thousand bucks when this literally happens all the goddamn time with other manufacturer's cars... just, wow.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
Can any of you give me input I am torn between Leasing or Buying, I am coming from a lease, I like to usually change every 3-4 years however I do see Model 3 as being fun and me able to stay with it longer but I don't really see a huge advantage of the lease if it's really only about 1-2k less in total out of pocket cost over 3 years compared to a 72 month loan payment and paid costs at 36 months. Also the 3750 refund for buying makes buying actually cheaper... I think the question is if I buy and I decide to trade it..would I really be upside down? Based on amortization I shouldn't be...and if I break even...its the same as leasing..since leasing doesn't give you money towards another vehicle..

Lease Black M3 LR AWD 15k miles with AP
Due at signing $5376. $681/month
Total payments in 36 months $35222.65
I included 7.95% sales tax on $50,700 price of car on lease
and about $650 per year of Prop Taxes

Buy Black M3 LR AWD with AP
Down payment $5376. $714/month (Tesla financing, so a little less with CU financing)
Total payments by 36th month $36410.65
I included 7.95% sales tax on $50,700 price of car on lease
and about $650 per year of Prop Taxes

Plus $3750 refund for purchase.

Difference between both by 36 months is $1188. Does sales tax for the lease
get charged at the full 7.95% of the total cost of car or only for the
portion of the depreciation you pay on the car for 36 months? If you only
pay for a part of the car cost then it would be a much bigger savings compared
to buying.

Any input?

I think the missing ingredient for a solid analysis is an estimate of what the car will be worth in three years (a total guess of course). If you expect to have positive equity in the car at the end of three years (greater than $1100) but minus the tax credit you WILL get by purchasing the car- then buying is your best option. If you expect to land in negative territory- then leasing is smart.

However, looking at it another way- what is the CONVENIENCE worth to you of just tossing the keys back to Tesla after three years? Otherwise you have three options at that point regarding a purchase- Keep it and continue the payments, trade it and get wholesale value for it, or sell it on your own. I lease often as well- but have serious business benefits to do so (don't drive over 8,000 miles per year). And I lease very expensive cars. One other consideration for you: Tesla's are more like a "tech" purchase than a regular "car" purchase- which means your Tesla will likely become sort of obsolete AND cheaper in the long term. Tough decision for you- best of luck!

The bottom line is that there are only two scenarios where you are better off leasing;

1. The car resale tanks. This always benefits someone who leased because they are insulated from swings in resale value.
2. The person who needs to fit into a monthly payment that accommodates a lease but not a purchase.

Merits vs foolishness of option #2 would be good fodder for a different discussion thread.

I will add two other scenarios where leasing might make sense:

3. Mitigating risk of out-of-warranty repairs for an expensive/exotic vehicle. Serial leasing makes sense if this is the type of vehicle you want because the vehicle is never out of warranty. This was one reason I leased my Model S in 2015.

4. As discussed earlier, if you own a business and drive the car for business purposes, the potential tax deductions can pay off.

I think the missing ingredient for a solid analysis is an estimate of what the car will be worth in three years (a total guess of course). If you expect to have positive equity in the car at the end of three years (greater than $1100) but minus the tax credit you WILL get by purchasing the car- then buying is your best option. If you expect to land in negative territory- then leasing is smart.

However, looking at it another way- what is the CONVENIENCE worth to you of just tossing the keys back to Tesla after three years? Otherwise you have three options at that point regarding a purchase- Keep it and continue the payments, trade it and get wholesale value for it, or sell it on your own. I lease often as well- but have serious business benefits to do so (don't drive over 8,000 miles per year). And I lease very expensive cars. One other consideration for you: Tesla's are more like a "tech" purchase than a regular "car" purchase- which means your Tesla will likely become sort of obsolete AND cheaper in the long term. Tough decision for you- best of luck!

Thank you for your feedback I think I am leaning more towards buying cause based on numbers I put there...even if the car sells for 40-45% of total cost I would still be almost break even and I would have freedom to drive as much as I want when I want. over the last 5 years I have driven 14-15k miles exactly. I had a purchased car then went to a lease and didn't notice a difference though some times I did rent car for a longer trip. I think at 45k miles a 50k MODEL 3 will sell for 22-28k in my opinion so unless TESLA goes under or these things just depreciate and sell for 30-40% of the value I think its still better to Purchase this vehicle based on Total costs in 3 years of leasing and total costs in 3 years of purchasing.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback I think I am leaning more towards buying cause based on numbers I put there...even if the car sells for 40-45% of total cost I would still be almost break even and I would have freedom to drive as much as I want when I want. over the last 5 years I have driven 14-15k miles exactly. I had a purchased car then went to a lease and didn't notice a difference though some times I did rent car for a longer trip. I think at 45k miles a 50k MODEL 3 will sell for 22-28k in my opinion so unless TESLA goes under or these things just depreciate and sell for 30-40% of the value I think its still better to lease this vehicle based on Total costs in 3 years of leasing and total costs in 3 years of purchasing.

I think you are making a good decision. I do agree- it's likely in three years there will be a real market for used Model 3s- keeping the value of a well-cared for model, even with 50k+ miles, worth at least $22-$25k. Good luck- one thing is CERTAIN: you will enjoy the car. It is amazing...

Reactions: Rawlings2019
I’d be willing to bet that anyone who buys a $35K SR model and then wants to sell it a few years from now will do incredibly well with regards to resale value. To get a software locked SR+ for $35K is an absolute steal and I don’t see that price lasting for very long. Elon offered it last night to mitigate the bad will the company was getting for not having delivered any $35K vehicles since they opened up orders on February 28th. They can’t be making money on an SR+ at $35K and they won’t allow it to go on for long. I wish I needed another car but we already have two Model 3’s. Otherwise I’d be placing my order for an SR today. It’s the best deal Tesla is ever going to offer on any of their vehicles, especially with the remaining tax credits and incentives.