Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 changes and leasing now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
many other full price FSD buyers will come unhinged yet again.

If they do that before releasing the first FSD feature (that isnt a re-defined EAP feature) then you better believe I will be angry again. It is not like I have been enjoying those full-priced FSD features before everyone else for the 15 months I have owned the car. I am still waiting for my FSD pre-order to be shipped.

It's unclear what the off-menu price of the SR is. The announcement says all models now have AP at an increased cost. So, SR may be $37k now.

Good point. However those who placed reservations three years ago expecting a $35,000 Model 3 had three recent weeks to order one. If they now have to pay a little more for taking extra time to consider purchasing, that is normal regarding the timing of purchasing any product.
Article pointed to above says $35K still an option: Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 is no longer available to order online

This price change doesn’t apply to the $35,000 Model 3 with Standard Range battery, which consumers will still be able to buy without Autopilot, according to a spokesperson.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable
As I said, the new rules may make some folks have to "give money back" through no fault of Tesla.... Clear as mud of course.

I'd be happy to work alongside the government to forward those bills to Mr. Musk and/or Tesla given the overly aggressive albeit false advertising around the tax credits. That said, My car was well below the 200K trigger.
As was my (first) car as well.

This is epic. I knew they were losing money on the Model 3 at $35k. I took so much heat for my opinions. I am a fanboy, but I am not a blind believer. You thought Tesla learned their lesson with their price drop in March? No, because they did it again.

Bottom line is that they thought hundreds of thousands of people would want the SR and they don’t. Why? Because if you have $35k then you also have $40k and probably $55k. Any person with half a brain knows that $35k is not a magic number that makes something affordable.

Tesla, I know you aren’t listening so I am talking to myself here. Selling a car at cost and putting all the latest tech in it so no one wants your high profit flagship models was mistake 1 (is this goodbye for s and x?). Selling a car that people will buy all day in performance and dual motor in a cheapo $35k-$40k zero profit version was mistake 2. You could have sold many of those customers $60k versions and made tons of profit. Instead, the bargain buyers poured in and you lost money.

Reactions: SJC3
I don’t think it’s that black and white. If you are self-employed, earn a high income (let’s above $300K), and live in California, you are likely paying over 50% in Federal and CA income taxes. If you use your car exclusively for business, the entire payment, including the down payment, can be deducted as a business expense. So you are effectively getting a 50% discount on your lease. If you purchase the car, you can only deduct the depreciation on the car, and it’s over a longer period of time so it’s a much smaller deduction. For people in this category, leasing can be very attractive.

So I am contemplating leasing because I am coming from another lease and I like switching cars every 3-4 years. How would I be able to deduct for business expense if I have a regular w2 job that I just drive to the office and back home? I do coach soccer (1099) and I own a small video highlights company for athletes. Both of these only provide $10,000-$15,000 in additional income per year on top of my W2 job income. So I have to pay taxes on these side job/business which I could take deduction by using Tesla but only up to a certain amount.

There are two types of customers who lease;

1. Terrible at math and finances.
2. Very good at math and finances.

Only group 1 will be leasing a Model 3.

Funny, this was the subject of my very first TMC thread.

Is it actually smart to lease a Tesla?

The only group dumber than option 1 is buying a Leaf/Bolt because its "cheaper".

Wait till you attempt to unload the frog or lunchbox and see what the market wants to give you for it.

Reactions: fluxemag
Why is everyone complaining? You thought the car was worth it when you bought it. Who cares if someone else gets it for cheaper. Good on them. I want as many people as possible in these cars. Guess what, prices change. And Tesla just reacts faster than the other auto manufacturers.

Perspective that people are missing is that the BEST thing for Tesla to do for previous owners is to

STAY IN BUSINESS.

Supercharging sites going dark, service centers shutting down, and software releases stopping is the ultimate in vehicle devaluation.

History will be the judge of Tesla's success going through this tumultuous period. We should all appreciate that they are working to fight another day.

JUST SURVIVE SOMEHOW. (JSS is the name of a Walking Dead episode)

I agree and it's why I am not crying to loudly about the $1k price drop 2 hours after I jumped on the FSD option the day they dropped it from $5k after purchase down to $3k and then a few hours later the same day it went to $2k. I contacted Tesla after reading they were refunding that $1k for owners like me and they said they would look into it and make it right but so far I'm not seeing the $1k plus tax credited back to my credit card. I look at it as if they never refund it, I still got it for the same price as those that added it when they purchased (which I had the option of doing back in June) and still got it for a $1k less than I had planned on paying this year when my tax refund came in. If they refund the $1k that others got back, great, but I won't be losing any sleep about it either way.

The only group dumber than option 1 is buying a Leaf/Bolt because its "cheaper".

Wait till you attempt to unload the frog or lunchbox and see what the market wants to give you for it.
Leaf lease took the residual down to $10k. So the original lease taker paid about $12k over 3 years?

So if you buy a off lease leaf for $11k and drive for three years and sell it for $200, you still did better than the original owner.

Can any of you give me input I am torn between Leasing or Buying, I am coming from a lease, I like to usually change every 3-4 years however I do see Model 3 as being fun and me able to stay with it longer but I don't really see a huge advantage of the lease if it's really only about 1-2k less in total out of pocket cost over 3 years compared to a 72 month loan payment and paid costs at 36 months. Also the 3750 refund for buying makes buying actually cheaper... I think the question is if I buy and I decide to trade it..would I really be upside down? Based on amortization I shouldn't be...and if I break even...its the same as leasing..since leasing doesn't give you money towards another vehicle..

Lease Black M3 LR AWD 15k miles with AP
Due at signing $5376. $681/month
Total payments in 36 months $35222.65
I included 7.95% sales tax on $50,700 price of car on lease
and about $650 per year of Prop Taxes

Buy Black M3 LR AWD with AP
Down payment $5376. $714/month (Tesla financing, so a little less with CU financing)
Total payments by 36th month $36410.65
I included 7.95% sales tax on $50,700 price of car on lease
and about $650 per year of Prop Taxes

Plus $3750 refund for purchase.

Difference between both by 36 months is $1188. Does sales tax for the lease
get charged at the full 7.95% of the total cost of car or only for the
portion of the depreciation you pay on the car for 36 months? If you only
pay for a part of the car cost then it would be a much bigger savings compared
to buying.

Any input?

Last edited:
Why is everyone complaining? You thought the car was worth it when you bought it. Who cares if someone else gets it for cheaper. Good on them. I want as many people as possible in these cars. Guess what, prices change. And Tesla just reacts faster than the other auto manufacturers.
I would agree if I bought the car last year.
But mine is less than 2 weeks old and still have temp paper plate.

Any input?

Unless you intend to write off your lease because you are a realtor/can justify business expense - you are always better off buying a Tesla.

My opinion is the Model 3 will always have some floor value. I don't think I would take the newest Civic if I can get a Model 3 used for the same price.

I myself plan on getting a second Model 3 to replace a Volt lease. This second Model 3 is to serve as a stop gap while waiting to see how the Model Y shakes out.

I don't expect to lose anything other than a few hundred per month in depreciation. Which would have been the same as the lease payments.

Except I:

1.) Have the option of driving as little or as much as I want.
2.) The option of just keeping of my second Model 3.

Leaf lease took the residual down to $10k. So the original lease taker paid about $12k over 3 years?

So if you buy a off lease leaf for $11k and drive for three years and sell it for $200, you still did better than the original owner.

If you bought a brand new Leaf you are taking it on the chin two ways:

1.) Your value after driving it off the lot.
2.) You could have been driving a Tesla instead.

Even if you were a buyer/holder OR got one second hand - I would not want to deal with the battery degradation on those.

Reactions: Gpa9504
This is the only drama in my life haha. The weekly Tesla price changes and if I am going to feel screwed by being an early adopter. Fun times!

me 2 :) this is why I keep waiting. Now i'm thinking of getting a SR since it's a software limit battery and everything else is the same as SR+

Won't the software limit protect the battery at 100% charging. Maybe Model S software limit battery owners can chime in...

I don’t think it’s that black and white. If you are self-employed, earn a high income (let’s above $300K), and live in California, you are likely paying over 50% in Federal and CA income taxes. If you use your car exclusively for business, the entire payment, including the down payment, can be deducted as a business expense. So you are effectively getting a 50% discount on your lease. If you purchase the car, you can only deduct the depreciation on the car, and it’s over a longer period of time so it’s a much smaller deduction. For people in this category, leasing can be very attractive.

Humm, self employed and making 300k+. How many percent of all people is that, less than 0.5%? So I guess these less than 5 in a thousand people is the target of the lease deal?

Reactions: Leafdriver333
me 2 :) this is why I keep waiting. Now i'm thinking of getting a SR since it's a software limit battery and everything else is the same as SR+

Won't the software limit protect the battery at 100% charging. Maybe Model S software limit battery owners can chime in...

I had a Model X 60D which is a limited 75D.

Yes I was able to charge at 100%. I did eventually go to 75D to get the 1 second faster 0-60.