Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 unveil invites coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who has spent way more time than I care to admit researching and reading about the Model 3 since I first started considering the hair-brained idea of staking half my life's savings on a car two years away, I can say I'm no happier hearing news that I may have to wait a few more months to get my Model 3, but I certainly think it's FAIR. The difference between this version of preferential treatment and the production model Tesla has followed of prioritizing higher-end models first is basically 0. The way it sounds might be more difficult to swallow for prospective Model 3 buyers who are Tesla virgins, but the foundation of this company was built on the investments of Model S/X owners. You all deserve the loyalty of the company you've been loyal to. And because of all of you, we'll all have Model 3s soon enough.

After waiting 2+ years, do you guys really think you'll care that much about having to wait a few more months? Cognitive dissonance will kick in well before Model 3s start shipping out. Sit tight. I'll be right there with you.

I'm in Bimbels category. My ICE car wasn't going to make it to the 3, although that's what I hoped for. I traded it in for $3500 on the 85D last May.
I had heard that Roadster owners were given a discount for purchasing an early Model S, too, so this is not a surprise move on Tesla's part.

I think one of the main points of non-owners being bummed out by the decision is being ignored. The tax credit. If the only outcome of the reservations of current owners getting priority over non-owners were simply a matter of getting the car earlier, then I'm pretty sure most non-owners wouldn't mind. BUT, if you factor in the possibility of non-owners losing out on getting the full tax credit, then I think non-owners in the US have a right to be upset about the decision. Especially if you add the point that current owners in the US most likely have already benefitted from the tax credit with their first purchase(s).

Of course, the number of current owners reserving the Model 3 may not be too much where non-owners aren't affected too much regarding getting the full tax break. However, when you factor in current owners getting priority over non-owners on top of highly optioned cars being delivered first, non-owners (including myself) probably will have anxiety on whether or not we will be able to get the full tax break. This is not insignificant. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

....when you factor in current owners getting priority over non-owners on top of highly optioned cars being delivered first, non-owners (including myself) probably will have anxiety on whether or not we will be able to get the full tax break. This is not insignificant...

Sure, 200,000 Tesla will get the tax credit but the rest won't.

With the first 100,000 , Tesla often cites tax credits.

However, when it is about Model ≡, the rest of the next 100,000, I think Elon has been transparent as he repeatedly said "When I say $35,000, I'm talking about without any credits."

As someone who has spent way more time than I care to admit researching and reading about the Model 3 since I first started considering the hair-brained idea of staking half my life's savings on a car two years away, I can say I'm no happier hearing news that I may have to wait a few more months to get my Model 3, but I certainly think it's FAIR. The difference between this version of preferential treatment and the production model Tesla has followed of prioritizing higher-end models first is basically 0. The way it sounds might be more difficult to swallow for prospective Model 3 buyers who are Tesla virgins, but the foundation of this company was built on the investments of Model S/X owners. You all deserve the loyalty of the company you've been loyal to. And because of all of you, we'll all have Model 3s soon enough.

After waiting 2+ years, do you guys really think you'll care that much about having to wait a few more months? Cognitive dissonance will kick in well before Model 3s start shipping out. Sit tight. I'll be right there with you.

Big +1 here.
I could not possibly be more grateful to the all the folks who ponied up the substantial sums commanded by the Roadster, S and X - for a long time in blind faith not even knowing if the company would survive - so that so many more of us could get a 3. And I especially hope Tesla employees get true front of the line status. If it means I wait a few months more for mine, so be it!

I could not possibly be more grateful to the all the folks who ponied up the substantial sums commanded by the Roadster, S and X - for a long time in blind faith not even knowing if the company would survive - so that so many more of us could get a 3. And I especially hope Tesla employees get true front of the line status. If it means I wait a few months more for mine, so be it!

AND, to whomever (whoever?) gets their Model 3 before me, I will just say, "CONGRATULATIONS!!!"

At least this time they are being a little more fare in the way they are choosing who can attend the unveiling event. Last time they sent out the invitation for the model X launch and if you weren't by your computer when the invite arrived you had no chance attending as only the first 1000 people who responded were able to attend. It was also last minute invite last time so unless you were close to Freemont airline tickets were outrageous. I was able to attend only because I happen to be reading my email and I was one of the first to respond. Any my wife and I used air miles to fly out first class.

To those who are complaining about current owners getting a perk to go to event. As someone else said but with different words, there would be no model 3 if it wasn't for the people who purchased model s and model X. If you ever listen to or read any what Elon Musk has said regarding how he built the company and his plan for the model 3. The Model S and Model X sales help build the infrastructure for the model 3. This includes the Tesla factory, the Gigafactory the supercharging network etc. He is clear there would be no model 3 without S and X sales. Also most companies reward those who continue to buy their products through loyalty programs. They also reward loyal employees.

Unless Elon has been misleading the public he has said many times there will be no unveiling of a prototype at the launch, only high level conceptual drawings at this point.

I earned my Model X no one gave it to me. Both my wife and myself worked two jobs each during most of our lives. We worked six and seven days a week 10-12 hours a day for over 40 years. There were times in the beginning where we did t know where I next meal would come from. We never took any handouts and no one paid for education, we paid out of our own pockets. Nothing was ever just handed to us we earned every dollar, or should I say, every penny we made.

Someone talked about betting the first day of sales the server will crash. Well the first day of sales you have to be at a Tesla Store (not all stores are participating ) to put down a deposit for the reservation. There will people camping overnight and the lines will be blocks long.

As we learned from the model X sales, it really does not matter how early you reserve as it is irrelevant as it is what you order. Based on past experience, the Model 3 with all the options, the $85,000+ version of the model 3 will be delivered before the stripped down $35,000 version. If history of the Model X playes out it will be one to two years before they sell a $35k model 3, if ever. As for the tax rebate. Unless your taxes are more than $7500 you don't get the full rebate. Therefore most of the people who will be buying a $35k car will not qualify for the rebate even if they were the first to buy a model 3. Tesla is known for a great car but they are also know for being 2-3 years late on every model they have produced. Based on what I have read the model 3 will not be an exception, we will be lucky to see a model 3 until at least 2019 probably 2020. By that time they will have sold more than 200,000 Model X and S cars which will means again no Model 3 will get the $7,500 rebate.

I also feel that someone who has been a loyal customer to Tesla and /or who is a stock owner in the company and therefore is the reason Tesla even exists deserves to be "in front of the line". Next the loyal employees of Tesla need to be recognized and should be towards the top.

But if I have learned anything about Tesla being first in line doesn't mean you will be first to purchase , if you understand what I mean.

Unless Elon has been misleading the public he has said many times there will be no unveiling of a prototype at the launch, only high level conceptual drawings at this point.

Elon never said that. And if you're referring to his sleepy response to that guy in Paris a couple of months ago, Elon was working on 2 hours of sleep in 48 hours so he clearly wasn't thinking straight. Tesla is a creature of habit and their reveals have always been with drivable real prototypes. Not pictures, not concepts. Real cars.

You keep beating this drum. He never said that. Show us one instance of him saying there would be no prototype at the reveal on the 31st. You can't, because he didn't.

I also feel that someone who has been a loyal customer to Tesla and /or who is a stock owner in the company and therefore is the reason Tesla even exists deserves to be "in front of the line". Next the loyal employees of Tesla need to be recognized and should be towards the top.

I disagree. I hope that Tesla employees are first in line, not after 'loyal customers' or stock holders. It's their turn.

No, he has NEVER said that. A reporter asked him when pictures were available. He said "At the end of March." The question was NOT about the reveal. His answer wasn't about the reveal. We've showed you the quote. We've showed you the video. Yet you keep saying he said something he never did.

French Audience: When will we see a picture of Model ≡?

He was asked a question and he answered that particular question right on point, no more, no less.

If he said you can't see a picture until after the unveiling, then some may also misunderstood that as may be only pictures will be passed around among guests to kill all that time!

Too much rumors. You've got to see the source:

Last edited:
Tesla described the event as "intimate" and said that attendees will be able to take a "quick spin" in the new vehicle.
Tesla sends out invites for its big Model 3 event
Tesla’s Model 3 to debut March 31 (and it’ll be drivable, too)

<snip>

Questions had been raised as to exactly how much of the Model 3 we'd see when Tesla unveiled it, with some suggestions that the car might not even be physically present but instead only shown as concept photos. That seems to have been pessimistic, with Tesla suggesting that journalists present will see "the Model 3 prototype" at the event.

Those prototypes should, the invitation goes on to suggest, be functional, too. Press will be able "to take a quick spin in what we've been working on," Tesla says.

<snip>
Full article at:
Tesla’s Model 3 to debut March 31 (and it’ll be drivable, too)