Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More price drops coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the SR Y will be make an appearance??
They have Model Y Standard Range AWD in some store inventories. Here is one in Tampa FL
1673820418049.png

Reactions: vickh
I think prices are going lower.

Prior to the latest price drop, I believe Tesla reported a gross auto margin rate of 28%. At the start of 2021, their gross auto margin was close to this as well (back when the LR Y was $50K - lower than the current price with pandemic-related supply constraints.) If commodities/labor/inflation do continue to come down, I think there's no reason their margins couldn't recover back to those highs AND the vehicles become cheaper once you factor in all of their latest efficiencies in production/scale.

Of course, some of this is predicated on how well the economy is doing (and what Tesla thinks they can charge), but I can't see the economy improving in 2023. The fed seems consistent in their plan to raise/hold rates through the rest of the year. I think the LR/4680 Ys will be sub-$50K by year's end (before any tax credit.)

Last edited:
Reactions: eleison
MYP is so close to the 55k limit that it seems logical Tesla would try to figure out a way to qualify. I'm thinking a stealth version
But then the LR model would be over-priced. I agree that Tesla has a pricing problem between the two trims due to the tax credit position.

I don't know how much more the better motor costs Tesla, or if they are even able to produce more of them if wanted. In prior discussions it sounded like the P motors are the binned few percent of production that out-perform the median + 2 SD

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on the Inflation Reduction Act legislation adjusting price limits upwards to account for inflation!

In the same vein if prices don't come down and stay down, especially for personal consumption stuff like cars, the US Fed will ratchet up interest rates to further decrease demand and rein in prices.

I could potentially see discounts/cuts on options towards the end of the quarter in cases where the options are bringing the MSRP above the $55k limit if there are sufficient numbers that haven't moved, but I think Tesla is likely focusing on production of the <$55k configs to limit that risk.

And then who knows what will happen after guidance comes in March (if it does), the credit will most likely be halved in many cases or removed entirely depending on the batteries.

When in March 3/31??

They are not setting prices on a whim. It will depend on COGS reduction due to successful ramping of Austin and Berlin.

Is there a way to ensure I'm getting an ATX Y. I want the lax TX VOC laws so I get better paint than CA.

AZ Store was a mad house! No cars to test drive. I wanted to try out the new comfort suspension vs my '19 3
Reps are as snobby as they were back in '19. I guess it helps that they're still selling like hot cakes here.

Is there a way to ensure I'm getting an ATX Y. I want the lax TX VOC laws so I get better paint than CA.

AZ Store was a mad house! No cars to test drive. I wanted to try out the new comfort suspension vs my '19 3
Reps are as snobby as they were back in '19. I guess it helps that they're still selling like hot cakes here.
There was a thread on how to get one, but I dunno the search params. Apparently its something to the effect of that they have to deliver Austin cars to Tennessee or some such nonsense. Thus you have to be east of a delivery line.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Why not? The MYP is the lowest price it’s been in a long time and many won’t qualify for the tax rebate. Even you posted that you made too much money amd didn’t qualify for the rebate.
Tesla pulled all its high disposable income demand into December with its "promotions." They literally called everyone up and did whatever they could to get people to take delivery before Dec 31. There is no one left to jump on the extra $5k of price cut they're offering vs. December. Also, most people are only willing to get tricked once and aren't stupid enough to do it again so soon. Everyone buying is now focused on trying to get a bargain through the tax credit. They might get a few Ford mach-E switchers but most other high disposable income buyers aren't going to forgo buying a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche cars for a Tesla just because it's cheaper.

Here's a good question for you - as someone who seems to defend everything this company does, are you buying another Tesla at this current price? If not, why not

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just did it! Only thing left is to cross shop used X (or a competitor) to see if I can do better than ~$51K net after credits. I paid the $250 as an option cost if I find something better.

Thank You​
Your Order is Confirmed​
Tesla

Next Steps
x
To move forward in the delivery process, please visit your confirm your registration information.​
x
Download the Tesla app to access driving tutorials.​

Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive $52,990
Pearl White Paint Included
19’’ Gemini Wheels Included
All Black Premium Interior Included
Seven Seat Interior $4,000
Autopilot Included
Subtotal $56,990
Destination Fee $1,390
Order Fee $250
Total $58,630​

Tesla pulled all its high disposable income demand into December with its "promotions." They literally called everyone up and did whatever they could to get people to take delivery before Dec 31. There is no one left to jump on the extra $5k of price cut they're offering vs. December. Also, most people are only willing to get tricked once and aren't stupid enough to do it again so soon. Everyone buying is now focused on trying to get a bargain through the tax credit. They might get a few Ford mach-E switchers but most other high disposable income buyers aren't going to forgo buying a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche cars for a Tesla just because it's cheaper.

Here's a good question for you - as someone who seems to defend everything this company does, are you buying another Tesla at this current price? If not, why not
Sorry so many things wrong with your post. (As usual). There are no buyers left? Lol come on. I think you’re going to be very surprised by the Q1 numbers. As for buying another Tesla, thanks for asking! I actually am. Have wanted to jump on the Model S for some time and they just gave me the Best reason to do so hopefully by next month. Hope I’m able to pull it off as I stopped by the local Tesla store on Saturday and it was packed with no more buyers out the door. Lol

I just did it! Only thing left is to cross shop used X (or a competitor) to see if I can do better than ~$51K net after credits. I paid the $250 as an option cost if I find something better.

Thank You​
Your Order is Confirmed​
Tesla

Next Steps
x
To move forward in the delivery process, please visit your confirm your registration information.​
x
Download the Tesla app to access driving tutorials.​

Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive $52,990
Pearl White Paint Included
19’’ Gemini Wheels Included
All Black Premium Interior Included
Seven Seat Interior $4,000
Autopilot Included
Subtotal $56,990
Destination Fee $1,390
Order Fee $250
Total $58,630​
Congrats! Who says there are no more buyers!

Sorry so many things wrong with your post. (As usual). There are no buyers left? Lol come on. I think you’re going to be very surprised by the Q1 numbers. As for buying another Tesla, thanks for asking! I actually am. Have wanted to jump on the Model S for some time and they just gave me the Best reason to do so hopefully by next month. Hope I’m able to pull it off as I stopped by the local Tesla store on Saturday and it was packed with no more buyers out the door. Lol
Yawn, another lame jab, something missing in your life? Guess money doesn't buy happiness. Funny, I live near a Tesla service center and the showroom was pretty empty today. Maybe yours is packed with buyers who want to take advantage of the tax credit?

Yeah no buyers at the $56k price point - data proves it out, you might be in denial. I think Q1 they will do well with low cost buyers who want to take advantage of the tax credit but few takers above that. Q2, all bets are off. Even you provide me a good example of why they're in a bad spot - you have the disposable income (I think) yet you look past the Model Y straight to the S. There just aren't that many takers for the model Y at the in between price point. The remaining people who can afford it and didn't get suckered already will buy the better cars and the people who can't will spend up to the tax credit.

• Disagree
Yawn, another lame jab, something missing in your life? Guess money doesn't buy happiness. Funny, I live near a Tesla service center and the showroom was pretty empty today. Maybe yours is packed with buyers who want to take advantage of the tax credit?

Yeah no buyers at the $56k price point - data proves it out, you might be in denial. I think Q1 they will do well with low cost buyers who want to take advantage of the tax credit but few takers above that. Q2, all bets are off. Even you provide me a good example of why they're in a bad spot - you have the disposable income (I think) yet you look past the Model Y straight to the S. There just aren't that many takers for the model Y at the in between price point. The remaining people who can afford it and didn't get suckered already will buy the better cars and the people who can't will spend up to the tax credit.
I can help you with your dilemma. Tesla is closed on Sunday so your analysis might be off. I look past the MY because I already Have a MYP, why would I want 2 of the same car? You didn’t get suckered, You made your decision and set the price to enjoy the car You selected. Try to enjoy it life is to short

I can help you with your dilemma. Tesla is closed on Sunday so your analysis might be off. I look past the MY because I already Have a MYP, why would I want 2 of the same car? You didn’t get suckered, You made your decision and set the price to enjoy the car You selected. Try to enjoy it life is to short
The showroom is open on Sundays in my area but maybe it's different around the country. I'm glad you enjoy your MYP enough to get the Model S. Not sure if I'll ever enjoy the car again at this point but I'll use it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.