Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More than 1 year owners--Dash Rattles evolving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may sound a little strange and I'm considering having my head examined... My car actually seems quieter now that the weather has warmed up here in AZ. I don't mean rattles or anything, I'm talking about exterior noise. Now that we have had temperatures over 100 for at least a few weeks, I've noticed a reduction in the noise from other cars, the tires, etc. I'm assuming this may have to do with the rubber seals either expanding or becoming more pliable due to the heat? Or, as already stated, I could just be insane.
I don't think you're crazy... I thought the same thing now that our temps have gotten over 90°. My car seems quieter now, too. Interesting theory about the seals expanding or becoming more pliable. Seems plausible.

This may sound a little strange and I'm considering having my head examined... My car actually seems quieter now that the weather has warmed up here in AZ. I don't mean rattles or anything, I'm talking about exterior noise. Now that we have had temperatures over 100 for at least a few weeks, I've noticed a reduction in the noise from other cars, the tires, etc. I'm assuming this may have to do with the rubber seals either expanding or becoming more pliable due to the heat? Or, as already stated, I could just be insane.

Besides what others have said about the seals, warm air molecules are further apart so sound has to be louder to sound the same.

I have the drivers door panel "creak" that I think is due to it coming off so many times to fix door handles and address air leakage. If I place my arm on the door arm rest, it creaks. It was much worse in the cold last winter.

I had a rattle in the dash somewhere when the car was new. I never mentioned it, but when Tesla replaced my front defroster vent with the new design, it went away. I have a slight creak on the passenger side of the dash when it is hot from the sun. If I press down or lift up right at the lip at the top rear edge of the dash it goes away for a while.

Other than that, it's pretty quiet.

45,000 miles. One major squeak fixed: Large V-shaped brace behind 17" screen, bracing the dashboard. Fixed with no problems, about 10,000 miles ago.

As to door squeak, it's probably the plastic pin that snaps into the hole in the door frame, that holds the fascia on, right by your elbow. A little grease on the pin, and Viola!, squeak is gone. I have had this problem with other cars, too. Takes about a minute to pull door fascia off, apply dot of grease, snap it back on. I probably wouldn't do it myself, but service could do it. It's worth a try, anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if Service Center does head examinations.

Rubber is more elastic in warm weather, may be less jounce driving. Tires may be softer and road may be more pliable. Who knows? I would wonder if air shocks work better in warm weather. Or maybe you're just insane....:smile: