Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More TSBs out there than I thought for my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Atari2600

Oct 4, 2017
Cincinnati
So I went here to check out the service bulletins for my Aug 2018 manufactured car. A couple are out of range of my car but nice to know so I posted them.
2018 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR AWD

I found the following interesting.

SB-19-16-002 Replace High Voltage (HV) Battery
Condition
Certain Model 3 vehicles with the Long Range HV battery might have fasteners within the HV battery platter that are not torqued to Tesla’s internal specifications, which might affect HV battery reliability.​
Correction
Replace the HV battery.​
Affected certain Model 3 vehicles built between approximately June 24, 2018 and September 30, 2018.

SB-19-12-001 Replace Front and Mid Aero Shield Panels
Condition
On some Model 3 vehicles, the front and/or mid aero shield panels might be susceptible to damage when driving through standing water. Updated panels are available which have a more robust design than the original panels.​
Correction
Upon customer complaint of missing or damaged front and/or mid aero shield panels, inspect the panels, and if
necessary, replace both panels with updated parts.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately November 29, 2018.

(Does not apply to me)
SB-19-40-002 Inspect For Rear Drive Unit Breather
Condition
Certain Model 3 vehicles might have been manufactured without a rear drive unit (RDU) breather, and consequently might have contaminated gearbox fluid.​
Correction
Inspect the vehicle for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, install a breather or replace the rear drive unit, depending upon inspection results.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately November 2, 2017 and March 14, 2018.

(Does not apply but shows where all the underbody fasteners should be installed)
SB-18-12-009 Inspect Underbody Panels and Fasteners
Condition
On some Model 3 vehicles, the push rivets, nuts, and bolts that attach the underbody aero panels might have been
improperly installed. Consequently, fasteners might be missing, and underbody panels might be damaged or missing.​
Correction
Inspect the vehicle for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, torque the existing nuts and bolts to the proper internal specifications, install any missing fasteners, and if necessary, replace any missing or damaged aero panels.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately June 12, 2018 and June 29, 2018.

(Does not apply to mine but others may find this useful)
SB-19-44-002 Replace Charge Port Door Assembly
Condition
On certain Model 3 vehicles, water might enter the inductive sensor in the charge port door assembly, causing the charge port door to be inoperative.​
Correction
Replace the charge port door assembly with an updated part.​
Model 3 vehicles built before approximately March 26, 2018.

SB-19-16-005 Inspect Power Conversion System 12V DCDC Positive Terminal
Condition
On certain Model 3 vehicles, a screw that secures the 12V DCDC positive terminal within the power conversion system (PCS) might have become loose. A loose terminal might present alerts on the touchscreen, or cause the PCS to shut down.​
Correction
Inspect the PCS for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, replace the PCS.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately August 9, 2018 and October 21, 2018.

(Does not affect me but found interesting because it could result in a failed battery if debris and water enters the system)
SB-18-16-005 Install HV Battery Breathers
Condition
Some Model 3 vehicles might have been manufactured without one or both HV battery breathers.​
Correction
Inspect the vehicle for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, install one or two new HV battery
breathers.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately March 7, 2018.

SB-19-16-010 Replace HV Battery Breathers
Condition
The HV battery on some Model 3 vehicles might produce a subtle "thunk" noise when ascending or descending a
mountain, or during Supercharging in colder climates. The “thunk” noise occurs when the air pressure outside the battery is different than the air pressure inside battery. The “thunk” noise does not indicate a fault or affect the performance of the HV battery.​
Correction
Upon customer complaint of a "thunk" noise coming from the HV battery, replace the HV battery breathers with updated components that will help equalize the pressure inside the battery with the pressure outside, faster and quieter.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built after approximately April 22, 2018.

SB-19-44-009 Replace Charge Port Carrier Assembly For Ice Buildup
Condition
Some Model 3 vehicles were manufactured with charge port latch actuators that could allow ice to build up and
prevent insertion or removal of the charge handle from the charge port.​
Correction
Upon customer complaint, replace the charge port carrier and latch actuator with an updated assembly​
Affected model years 2017-2019

SB-18-33-005 R1 Retrofit Updated Rear Brake Dust Shields
Condition
Some Model 3 vehicles are equipped with rear brake dust shields that can trap road debris between the dust shield and brake rotor, causing loud grinding noises.​
Correction
Upon customer complaint, retrofit the rear brake dust shields with updated parts.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately October 25, 2018.

SB-20-12-002 Remove B-Pillar Applique Gore Patches
Condition
On some Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles, condensation might build up inside of the B-pillar applique,
potentially obscuring the B-pillar camera. This condition might cause some Autopilot features to be temporarily
unavailable until the condensation goes away, such as Auto Lane Change, Blind Spot Detection, and Lane Departure Warning.​
Correction
Inspect both B-pillar applique camera cavities for condensation. If condensation is present in either B-pillar applique,
remove and discard the gore patches from both B-pillar appliques to improve the airflow and reduce condensation.​
Affected model years 2016-2019

There are also a few out there that apply to everyone where a filter may be needed for the front passenger airbag seat sensor. There is also an RFI shield for the HW 2.5 and 3 where an airport radar can render the system inoperable, for that they push a filter across the back where it makes contact with the camera connectors and the metal frame of the computer.

Note most of these mention applying to a date range (usually given) but also a VIN range (usually not given)... when I sent service a list of all those applying in my date range (also August 2018) I was told none applied to my VIN other than the charge port pin one (which a mobile tech came out and did)

Are all of these TSBs supposed to be covered under warranty, assuming we’re still within the warranty period? I tried to get my rear break dust retrofit but they wanted to charge me for it. I ended up cancelling that appointment.

Note most of these mention applying to a date range (usually given) but also a VIN range (usually not given)... when I sent service a list of all those applying in my date range (also August 2018) I was told none applied to my VIN other than the charge port pin one (which a mobile tech came out and did)
The rear brake covers and panels under the car should cover everyone as that is a part change and not an installation issues.

The rear brake covers and panels under the car should cover everyone as that is a part change and not an installation issues.

The panels say "Upon customer complaint of missing or damaged front and/or mid aero shield panels, inspect the panels, and if necessary, replace both panels with updated parts."

So would only apply if there's something missing or damaged on the car- there's not for mine

Likewise the brake one says it only applies to some vehicles- not mine apparently (nor have I experienced the noise it says is a symptom of the issue)

Reactions: android04
They changed the rear brake cover design so rocks don't get stuck in them any more.

I don't want to be in a situation where the panels fall apart at 51,000 miles because they are substandard parts. But I guess you don't have the salted and sanded roads in the winter when there is snow/ice. Although I have to admit we did not have much last year.

I have not talked to them yet about any of these but I plan on using the one to check all the fasteners myself and I plan on asking for the new breathers so the car stops making the thunking noises when charging or large altitude changes.
Also the moisture in my side cameras need fixed.
I'm not sure how they can isolate random screw tightening production issues to specific VINs. Are they possibly blowing you off?

They replaced my pins as well but I'm sure that's because they don't want them stuck in their superchargers.

When I still had my Audi they would tell me all the TSB I needed and would ask me when I wanted to do it. Since Audi paid them to do the work. Tesla service is the same as Tesla Sales so there is little to no incentive for them to offer to do the work without ask or even do the work when asked.

Thats because the dealer is being paid by Audi to install the TSB. So the dealer makes money on it.
Since the SC is part of Tesla installing a TSB is a cost.
This is one downside to not having dealers separate from the manufacturer.

IMHO The pluses to having them separate far outweigh the downside

Thats because the dealer is being paid by Audi to install the TSB. So the dealer makes money on it.
Since the SC is part of Tesla installing a TSB is a cost.
This is one downside to not having dealers separate from the manufacturer.

IMHO The pluses to having them separate far outweigh the downside

Basically what I was saying, or thought I was saying anyway.

They changed the rear brake cover design so rocks don't get stuck in them any more.

I don't want to be in a situation where the panels fall apart at 51,000 miles because they are substandard parts. But I guess you don't have the salted and sanded roads in the winter when there is snow/ice. Although I have to admit we did not have much last year.

I have not talked to them yet about any of these but I plan on using the one to check all the fasteners myself and I plan on asking for the new breathers so the car stops making the thunking noises when charging or large altitude changes.
Also the moisture in my side cameras need fixed.
I'm not sure how they can isolate random screw tightening production issues to specific VINs. Are they possibly blowing you off?

They replaced my pins as well but I'm sure that's because they don't want them stuck in their superchargers.
They replaced my pins too. I asked the guy why they were doing it for all M3s. He said because the pin problem, if it happens, causes the car to not be able to get charged at all. That caused a lot of service calls of a priority one nature because you couldn't drive the car once the current charge was used up. Since the pin replacement was so cheap and fast for them to do, it was better for them to do that than to deal with all the service calls they were getting that had to be dealt with ASAP.

So I went here to check out the service bulletins for my Aug 2018 manufactured car. A couple are out of range of my car but nice to know so I posted them.

Condition
Certain Model 3 vehicles with the Long Range HV battery might have fasteners within the HV battery platter that are not torqued to Tesla’s internal specifications, which might affect HV battery reliability.​
Correction
Replace the HV battery.​
Affected certain Model 3 vehicles built between approximately June 24, 2018 and September 30, 2018.

Condition
On some Model 3 vehicles, the front and/or mid aero shield panels might be susceptible to damage when driving through standing water. Updated panels are available which have a more robust design than the original panels.​
Correction
Upon customer complaint of missing or damaged front and/or mid aero shield panels, inspect the panels, and if

(Does not apply to me)
Condition
Certain Model 3 vehicles might have been manufactured without a rear drive unit (RDU) breather, and consequently might have contaminated gearbox fluid.​
Correction
Inspect the vehicle for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, install a breather or replace the rear drive unit, depending upon inspection results.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately November 2, 2017 and March 14, 2018.

(Does not apply but shows where all the underbody fasteners should be installed)
Condition
On some Model 3 vehicles, the push rivets, nuts, and bolts that attach the underbody aero panels might have been
improperly installed. Consequently, fasteners might be missing, and underbody panels might be damaged or missing.​
Correction
Inspect the vehicle for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, torque the existing nuts and bolts to the proper internal specifications, install any missing fasteners, and if necessary, replace any missing or damaged aero panels.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately June 12, 2018 and June 29, 2018.

Condition
On certain Model 3 vehicles, water might enter the inductive sensor in the charge port door assembly, causing the charge port door to be inoperative.​
Correction

Condition
On certain Model 3 vehicles, a screw that secures the 12V DCDC positive terminal within the power conversion system (PCS) might have become loose. A loose terminal might present alerts on the touchscreen, or cause the PCS to shut down.​
Correction
Inspect the PCS for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, replace the PCS.​
Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately August 9, 2018 and October 21, 2018.

(Does not affect me but found interesting because it could result in a failed battery if debris and water enters the system)
Condition
Some Model 3 vehicles might have been manufactured without one or both HV battery breathers.​
Correction
Inspect the vehicle for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, install one or two new HV battery
breathers.​

Condition
The HV battery on some Model 3 vehicles might produce a subtle "thunk" noise when ascending or descending a
mountain, or during Supercharging in colder climates. The “thunk” noise occurs when the air pressure outside the battery is different than the air pressure inside battery. The “thunk” noise does not indicate a fault or affect the performance of the HV battery.​
Correction
Upon customer complaint of a "thunk" noise coming from the HV battery, replace the HV battery breathers with updated components that will help equalize the pressure inside the battery with the pressure outside, faster and quieter.​

Condition
Some Model 3 vehicles were manufactured with charge port latch actuators that could allow ice to build up and
Correction
Upon customer complaint, replace the charge port carrier and latch actuator with an updated assembly​

Condition
Some Model 3 vehicles are equipped with rear brake dust shields that can trap road debris between the dust shield and brake rotor, causing loud grinding noises.​
Correction
Upon customer complaint, retrofit the rear brake dust shields with updated parts.​

Condition
On some Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles, condensation might build up inside of the B-pillar applique,
potentially obscuring the B-pillar camera. This condition might cause some Autopilot features to be temporarily
unavailable until the condensation goes away, such as Auto Lane Change, Blind Spot Detection, and Lane Departure Warning.​
Correction
Inspect both B-pillar applique camera cavities for condensation. If condensation is present in either B-pillar applique,
remove and discard the gore patches from both B-pillar appliques to improve the airflow and reduce condensation.​

There are also a few out there that apply to everyone where a filter may be needed for the front passenger airbag seat sensor. There is also an RFI shield for the HW 2.5 and 3 where an airport radar can render the system inoperable, for that they push a filter across the back where it makes contact with the camera connectors and the metal frame of the computer.

Condition
Correction
Replace the HV battery.​

Condition
Correction

(Does not apply to me)
Condition
Correction

Condition
Correction

Condition
Correction

Condition
Correction

Condition
Correction
breathers.​

Condition
Correction

Condition
Correction

Condition
Correction

Condition
Correction

Good job on posting this ... I'll bet you've helped a lot of people!

For those unaware you can check for recalls specific to your car / vin here:

Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment

or here:

VIN Recall Search | Tesla Service

Likewise you should also be checking for TSB's, which for Tesla can be problematic.

Previously for TSB's which are recommended (not recall) service you had to know about a TSB, pay to access them for certain websites, or find a way to access it on your own. With my Audi I was able to access dealer TSB's directly.

Recently the NHTSA has added a new section that makes it easier for the public to access (some) of the TSB's. Keep it mind that TSB's are often written by engineers for mechanics and can be long, detailed, cryptic and just confusing.

The above NHTSA has a "Vehicle" tab now that you can search for TSB's now instead of only Recalls previously.

Enjoy.