Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the pictures of the hundreds of cars at Southampton and the way they are parked does anyone think that they pick individual VINS out and load them on to transporters?
Or do you think a lucky dip method is at work here?
AFAIK VINS have already been assigned to orders at this point, it tends to be when the pass through the panama canal, so its likely that if you dont have a SC VIN then your car is not in the lot at southampton

Spoke to Tesla this morning. the said they i have been vin matched, it on a ship to europe, and they are expecting my car to be at heathrow on 22/11/19. Couldn't give me a delivery date yet, but they expect to hopefully by the end of the week. Only seen Vin in source code so far. ordered M3P+ msm/black aug 15th.

AFAIK VINS have already been assigned to orders at this point, it tends to be when the pass through the panama canal, so its likely that if you dont have a SC VIN then your car is not in the lot at southampton
That wasn't my point.
The point I am making is that I doubt they locate specific VINS on the dock and then load those onto transporters but pick whatever is the easiest and send them to the delivery centres.
The result is that delivery dates are liable to change as are the VINS. We are already seeing lots of changes to VINS and I think I now know why.

I suspect there is some method to their madness and cars are not parked totally random, but I agree that there is still opportunity for things to go wrong.

Certainly at West Drayton, cars were being bought in from somewhere in Stockley Park (quite a sight actually seeing 5 or 6 silent cars arriving on mass in a row) and the cars that were there were not necessarily just for that day. For instance, 'our' car got lost on route between Southampton and delivery centre. However they were able to fetch 'someone elses' car from Stockley that was due to be delivered a few days later and give us 'theirs' - and they presumably they got 'ours' once it was found - transporter rumoured to have been impounded somewhere in Winchester with no access for a few days. Similar happened to someone else the day before, probably on same transporter, but no immediate spare so he had to come back the next day. We only had to spend most of the day at the delivery centre, but were looked after well until the actual handover.

So they are still juggling VINs right up to moment of delivery, which is why you should not insure you car on the VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowpring
This is pure speculation obviously but I'm thinking towards there could be a bigger issue at play here, if only one ship was sent to port then maybe technical or operational issues there but two? The only reason they are sent to anchor up is that they burn 10000$s/day in fuel while traveling. Maybe they are recalling them all? Probably cheaper to bring a ship back from that side of the world then fix cars in the field? If a transporter leaves SFO in the mean time heading for europe then this poopoos the theory. Only the operators / tesla would know whats going on with the ships but rather frustrating thats for sure :)

If they are recalling them all then why stop in Jam ? Why not just go all the way back home ?

I do agree though, this looks more administrative than technical. The ship was sailing back at a fair rate of knots - it was not exactly limping. Maybe Elon hasn’t paid the bills ? :)

I think my car is on that one too...

My guess is if they have noticed something major is wrong then $$ wise its probably best just a goto nearest port, await them to work out the best way forward logistically - better be this side than be half way across the pond and have to turn round. I did see on Twitter that the one parked up in Mexico is apparently due to leave tomorrow though? As much of a fan boy one can be, their communication is bollocks.

I’m trying to distract myself from ship tracking, it’s turning into an illness!

I’ve set up an email alert for when the Jasper Arrow eventually gets going again to save looking online constantly.

It’s been at Kingston for 5 days now.... Bizarre!