Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most miles on a single charge [COMPETITION]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ex-Leaf drivers will have an unfair advantage :)
The Leaf "Grow an Eco-Tree" competition has been ongoing since the car launched - all designed to coach drivers how to drive economically.
I started out using Eco mode all the time, but constant coaching has me where I don't need eco mode and have maintained a 4.7-4.8 miles per KW without trying. Can easily get 5.5-5.6 mpK.
I honestly doubt that after driving like that for almost four years that I'll be even slightly interested in doing the same with my 3 though, no need to baby battery energy with the LR version compared to 24kW in the LEAF.
Maybe a few months after ownership and I've got the lead foot out of my system :D

Reactions: Icer and dhrivnak
We ex-Leaf drivers will have an unfair advantage :)
The Leaf "Grow an Eco-Tree" competition has been ongoing since the car launched - all designed to coach drivers how to drive economically.
I started out using Eco mode all the time, but constant coaching has me where I don't need eco mode and have maintained a 4.7-4.8 miles per KW without trying. Can easily get 5.5-5.6 mpK.
I honestly doubt that after driving like that for almost four years that I'll be even slightly interested in doing the same with my 3 though, no need to baby battery energy with the LR version compared to 24kW in the LEAF.
Maybe a few months after ownership and I've got the lead foot out of my system :D

1) No one uses miles/kwh around here.

2) I averaged 3.6 on my leaf.

2) I averaged 3.6 on my leaf.
That's what our Bolt is seeing combined between me and my wife. Pretty clear she's the one keeping it that low. :rolleyes: Which is ironic since she was always pissed that I was the one dropping her Camry Hybrid's mileage average before we got the Bolt and she switched to the Bolt as her primary on weekdays (she's the primary commuter in the family).

• Funny
Reactions: ahagge and Icer
OK - for the math challenged.
4.7 = 212 watts per mile
5.5 = 181 wpm
:cool:

That's something that I get sloppy on that I should try tighten up. Saying "watts per mile" when it's actually "watt-hours per mile". It's right in my mind but I probably should type it out to help people new to it read least they get confused by the shorthand when you get into talking about charging rate capacity expressed in their electrical form, rather than the miles/hr that gets used a lot (that's probably less confusing to the general public?).

Not sure how I feel about "wpm". I don't know how people around here feel about that? My inner math/physics child screams when I see it but...EDIT: that kid also is kinda freaked about it mixing Imperial units in with SI, so what's he know? *shrug*

Last edited:
Reactions: Icer
Add in servos for steering and at 18mph you'd eat maybe 5% (3.5kWh) to hit nominal range of 310mi at 17hr and change. That's 11Wh/mi of overhead. Has anyone done empirical Wh/mi vs velocity yet, so I could extrapolation air drag down to 18mph?