Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most tempting feature with the model update

What new feature is most tempting to upgrade?

• New adaptive suspension

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Better range

Votes: 91 55.8%
  • Getting an upgrade to the new HW / FSD

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • Bye Bye Shudder

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • I like new shiny things

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we should expect periodic changes to optimize manufacturing costs, Tesla will get around to a redesigned interior - which is what Musk said on Autonomy Day.

The center console display will eventually be rotated horizontally - since that's the format optimized for entertainment for passengers while the vehicle is in motion.

When they get FSD authorized for use, the driver's "cockpit" will disappear or be de-emphasized, the dashboard display will likely go away (since it won't be needed), the steering wheel could be deleted (or at least made removable) and possibly even the foot pedals removed. When this happens, we should see Tesla (and other manufacturers) shift towards improving the riding experience - items such as displays for watching videos, more power for devices, high speed hotspot and possibly even items like work surfaces or rotating front seats (to face the rear passengers).

We should also expect to see Tesla increase differentiation between S/X and 3/Y. The new battery pack is the first step, and while it doesn't get full V3 supercharging speed, it does increase the range and performance beyond 3/Y. Also wouldn't be surprised for Tesla to add other items, perhaps going back to providing free long distance supercharging (using a supercharger only on road trips - not urban/local charging).

Right now, Tesla is under considerable pressure to get back to at least break even, so unless changes impact the bottom line, we shouldn't expect to see major changes for S/X at least not until next year when the new 1,000,000 mile battery packs with full V3 supercharging support come out for the S/X or Tesla really does get approval for FSD (somewhere).

The range addition is really nice, but I have free Supercharging for life and the 72 amp charger. (Yes, I DO use/need the full 72 A often). So no upgrade being considered.

I like the vertical screen, and don't want to lose it.

Since I usually keep a car at least ten years, so maybe in nine years ... but who know what will be offered then?

Reactions: P85_DA
you misread his statement, he is saying the 2nd row can move to create room for the 3rd row, but the 2nd row doesn't fold flat.

OK, I suppose I mis-read. Oops. That said, the 2nd row bench does fold flat. The monopost seats in the current 6 seat configuration and the original 7-seat configuration do not fold flat, they just adjust their bases forward and tip forward a bit out of the way. That’s what I’ve lived with for the last 3 years. Definitely a form over function design...

I agree with this 100%. I do not like the horizontal screen of the M3, nor do I like the lack of screen behind the steering wheel. I don't want to have to look down and to the right in order to check my speed. If the refreshed MX has the M3 interior I will most likely not be buying another as my next vehicle.
I agree that they should step up the S & X interiors in the luxury (or sporty) department, but for me the screens have nothing to do with it.
Better seats, storage, other interior features would be way more important to me.
I'm one of the ones that greatly prefers the model 3 screen setup. I really love not having anything behind the wheel. For all of the bitching about that screen before the 3 was actually driven by anybody, it was basically a non-issue. It's pretty rare that you hear complaints about it. Standardizing UI's so more resources could go into actual feature development would be a benefit in my mind.
I'm also a big fan of the model 3 HVAC vent setup. I'm assuming the S & X refresh would be using something similar as well.

So if what is the most tempting for you in the new Model X - I'm not saying you are getting a new one, but what is the feature catching your eye and making you go 'hmmmmm'

Simple: I want a simple cargo barrier behind the two-seat second row. We are really struggling in trying to take this vehicle on the road with luggage. So far, we have either taken the S or packed lighting to fit behind the third row in the X.

Hope for much faster charging for existing battery packs with 250 kw V3 Superchargers is a long shot IMO. Here's why: Tesla charges the 18650 cells at 4.2 volts max (a fixed number for Li-ion cells, as far as I can tell--same for 2170s) and 4 amps max charging current. That means that a 100 kwh battery pack with 8256 cells X 4.2 X 4 = 138.7 kw is the maximum power that the pack can accept (somewhat more than the 120 kw capacity of most Superchargers today). I believe that the upper current limit is there to limit heating of the cells during supercharging and to limit degradation of the cells.

The reason cars with 2170 cells will benefit somewhat from V3 is that Tesla appears willing to raise the maximum charging current of about 6 amps per cell (not published so this is an estimate) for something like the first 15 minutes of charging before reducing the current back down under 6 amps per cell, limiting the added self heating and shortening the total charging time by maybe 10-15 minutes. The design of the Model 3 battery management system may play a role in this. This will at least require an SW update. Today's LR pack can accept up to about 4416 X 4,2 X 6 = about 111 kw max.

While we should expect periodic changes to optimize manufacturing costs, Tesla will get around to a redesigned interior - which is what Musk said on Autonomy Day.

The center console display will eventually be rotated horizontally - since that's the format optimized for entertainment for passengers while the vehicle is in motion.

When they get FSD authorized for use, the driver's "cockpit" will disappear or be de-emphasized, the dashboard display will likely go away (since it won't be needed), the steering wheel could be deleted (or at least made removable) and possibly even the foot pedals removed. When this happens, we should see Tesla (and other manufacturers) shift towards improving the riding experience - items such as displays for watching videos, more power for devices, high speed hotspot and possibly even items like work surfaces or rotating front seats (to face the rear passengers).

We should also expect to see Tesla increase differentiation between S/X and 3/Y. The new battery pack is the first step, and while it doesn't get full V3 supercharging speed, it does increase the range and performance beyond 3/Y. Also wouldn't be surprised for Tesla to add other items, perhaps going back to providing free long distance supercharging (using a supercharger only on road trips - not urban/local charging).

Right now, Tesla is under considerable pressure to get back to at least break even, so unless changes impact the bottom line, we shouldn't expect to see major changes for S/X at least not until next year when the new 1,000,000 mile battery packs with full V3 supercharging support come out for the S/X or Tesla really does get approval for FSD (somewhere).

FSD is not possible for end to end without a steering wheel, foot peddles and what it takes to drive the car! I go to pick up my kayaks and drive across a small field, without a road to the shed to put them in my Tesla! We take the Tesla into the beach in Sarasota, Florida to pitch a tent, we look for an area that is not overcrowded, to unload the car! I drive the Tesla under a large tree when the sun is high to wash it! When maintenance was being preformed on the road in front of our house I drove the Tesla into our yard! During a 20 inch rain within 24 hours, I had to drive on the sidewalk to get to our house! I personally do not think FSD is possible!

Reactions: Shock-On-T

What new pack is this?

The update they just made has been stated over and over again to be the exact same 100 kWh pack they were selling before the update.

The extra range comes from the new motor based on the 3 and cutting edge low loss silicon carbide power electronics.

If the 200 kW peak rate on the v3 is faster than older cars will be permitted (facts not in evidence - Tesla said they'd make legacy cars charge faster on v3 later this year, but not how fast they'd get,) that's likely down to larger wiring in the car (the 3 has much larger wires connecting the chargeport to the pack than older Xs and Ss do, according to teardowns.)

In order:

1. MCU2: I have an MCU1 + AP 2.5 and I'm worried about getting software cut off at some point soon
2. Improved suspension: Model X rides a bit stiff for a luxury SUV. Hoping new stuff is smoother
3. No shudder: Been an issue since day 1. Would be nice to be shudder-free.