Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MOT - "Don't come here again"!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my Model S 85D passed its MOT, however. National Tyres, in Salisbury asked me to "Use Tesla next time".
They said their rig did not accept cars like Tesla. The jacking points did not line up. They 'worked round it' however, they said it took twice as long.

Anyone else had this?
This is my third mot and not had this previously. Kwik Fit and F1 did the previous mots. Would not recommend F1. They stole my valve covers and put wrong air pressure on 4 new tyres.

I’ve had MoT with Cleevely in Cheltenham so they know their onions. Also had one locally in a small place. I planned to go for a coffee and leave them to it, but the car is so different the guy needed my presence/input to complete the test.

Even putting on the headlights is difficult if you don’t know how. Another test is putting the car in “hold”, then they move the rollers to test the “handbrake”. No chance the guy knew how to do that.

Tony

They're being idiots. Incompetent ones, from the sounds of it. Plenty of big cars out there these days.

I had a real struggle finding a MOT centre that has jacks big enough to take the X. Its not the size of the car but the position of the jack points. Halfords Autocentre showed me in person the issue, the jack points were too wide for their lifts.

I ended up using a local MOT station that does vans, but I had to show them how to turn on the lights etc.

Reactions: Smileysam
I used Nat Tyres when I had my MS MOT done before I sold it in June. Booked online for half price.

When I got there I lent them my jack pads which they were grateful for and they showed me a couple of pages of special instructions they had on Teslas from Nat Tyres central, as they admitted mine was their first. Evidently, when mine was booked in their system flagged the need for a different approach. No problems at all and if I still had the car would go back there again happily.

National Tyres, in Salisbury asked me to "Use Tesla next time".
They said their rig did not accept cars like Tesla. The jacking points did not line up. They 'worked round it' however, they said it took twice as long.

Presumably they don't want you back to buy tyres there either then?

Reactions: IanMcL
Even putting on the headlights is difficult if you don’t know how. Another test is putting the car in “hold”, then they move the rollers to test the “handbrake”. No chance the guy knew how to do that.
That seems weird. I would have thought the handbrake function would be Park mode (long press to manually engage). Hold is hydraulic brakes and/or motors.

Reactions: ACarneiro
They're being idiots. Incompetent ones, from the sounds of it. Plenty of big cars out there these days.

Personally I'd find a local garage and avoid the chains - local guys tend to be enthusiasts who want to do a decent job so you recommend them.
It can't be the physical size of the car. I know from personal experience national in Salisbury can cope with a 16.5 foot long CLS shooting brake. I guess it's position of jacking points?

NTS in Salisbury are not my favourite tyre supplier.
Nor are they on my list of being any use for anything.

As has been said, there are many good independents.

Tesla Service Centres do not and will not become MOT centres as an MOT centre has to accept all comers, but they all have a nearby MOT place that does MOTs for them.

Have you given the underneath of the car and everywhere else a good check over, just for peace of mind.

It's difficult to judge the tone of their language from your write up, was the "next time go to Tesla" said in a jokey way or an aggressive way?

Tesla Service Centres do not and will not become MOT centres as an MOT centre has to accept all comers, but they all have a nearby MOT place that does MOTs for them.
This is true but with the like of main dealers only charging top dollar (maximum aloud) for an MOT, there is really no point going for an mot at a bmw dealership when you drive an audi as a example and you dont really see much of this going on if at all from experience.

This is true but with the like of main dealers only charging top dollar (maximum aloud) for an MOT, there is really no point going for an mot at a bmw dealership when you drive an audi as a example and you dont really see much of this going on if at all from experience.

It still means Tesla would have to buy emissions testing equipment though, there will always be the one who would book there just for fun of it. It's hardly worth their bother. Doesn't fit with their environmental mantra.

Maybe the law is wrong nowadays, it should be allowed to have an EV only MOT station.

Have you given the underneath of the car and everywhere else a good check over, just for peace of mind.

It's difficult to judge the tone of their language from your write up, was the "next time go to Tesla" said in a jokey way or an aggressive way?
I doubt if anything it would of been an aggressive way of saying it but the but if it indeed was said and in a joking manner, I would take it in the same way as if I was in a first date and she said I was cute 🥺

On the National Tyres front, I think like lot of things, it depends who you speak to and how helpful (or not) they want to be. As I mentioned earlier, mine were really thorough, interested in doing the job properly and prepared to take the steps needed to get it right.

Luck of the draw I guess. It shouldn't be with a national company, but it often is.

It still means Tesla would have to buy emissions testing equipment though, there will always be the one who would book there just for fun of it. It's hardly worth their bother. Doesn't fit with their environmental mantra.

Maybe the law is wrong nowadays, it should be allowed to have an EV only MOT station.
Well... They already have emissions testing software in there cars so what is the problem? 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Blueskye
The Guys at Salisbury ATS are pretty good. Had several sets of tyres on my M3 and they knew their way around the car very well. No need to explain a thing and they also have the jacking pucks.

Chatting to the guy on reception he noted that they were seeing them very often as a lot of lease companies use them for tyres and MoT.

Just matter of factly. Like...the vehicle passed, however we had trouble as it did not fit our rig. Took twice as long. Suggest you take it to Tesla next time.

Reactions: gangzoom