Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is possibly a logistics problem. Tesla supply times are higher than usual, so instead of body shops using a just-in-time strategy, they should be determining all the parts needed up front and then ordering all of them at once.

Also, we do not hear about the repairs that went well ... only the disasters are motivating enough to publish. Tesla still needs to improve itself, though.

Reactions: croman
Reading this thread makes me think you guys get in frequent car accidents. How many significant accidents have you been in your life? Just don't drive like an idiot and the odds are pretty great that you won't have to deal with waiting for parts from Tesla.
I think this leads to something we all may agree with... if I ever get into an accident - god forbid a serious one - I can only hope my family and I will be in a Tesla. I have utmost confidence in the safety of these cars.

Elon took flack for starting the 2015 MX reveal with safety. I thought it was genius. Driving is the deadliest situation we place ourselves in, and we do it daily; the LAST place I want to die is in a car - I'm glad to be in the safest one.

Reading this thread makes me think you guys get in frequent car accidents. How many significant accidents have you been in your life? Just don't drive like an idiot and the odds are pretty great that you won't have to deal with waiting for parts from Tesla. Just in case though I keep a sledge hammer in the frunk and one in the trunk. If I'm in an accident I'm going to make sure it's totaled.

With all due respect, accidents happen "accidentally".

Your argument is the same as other posters that say, "don't open the window, and you won't have any problems w/ it..."

Just don't drive like an idiot and the odds are pretty great that you won't have to deal with waiting for parts from Tesla.

Thats all well and good until you are stopped at a red light and get rear ended by someone else. That has happened to me twice, and my husband three times, and is the only type of accident I have ever been involved in.

Luckily, it hasn't happened in the Tesla, but at some point there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident. Especially with the drivers around here. :rolleyes:

Considering that in the Elektrek article it is stated that Tesla has promised to get the car repaired right away, I think we've hit upon the answer. When your Tesla is in an accident, cue up the media regarding Tesla's slow repair times. Once there is bad press they get the parts to the body shop. It's a real shame that Tesla does this. This concern almost stopped me from buying a Tesla.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Thats all well and good until you are stopped at a red light and get rear ended by someone else. That has happened to me twice, and my husband three times, and is the only type of accident I have ever been involved in.

Luckily, it hasn't happened in the Tesla, but at some point there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident. Especially with the drivers around here. :rolleyes:

Completely agree. You can be the safest driver in the world and still cannot prevent being hit by other idiots on the road. That's why we have insurance!

They can build a complete car from sheet metal to complete in less than 72 hours but they cant supply replacement parts for months. There is something really wrong here.
This is a deliberate executive level decision. Deliberate. Lack of a robust repair/maintenance parts system is a serious shortcoming, and frankly customer negligence. I work in a discrete manufacturing environment, I get it.

It would appear that 'making the quarter' supersedes this, QA, and a few other areas with regards to resources and money.

Reactions: yak-55
Reading this thread makes me think you guys get in frequent car accidents. How many significant accidents have you been in your life? Just don't drive like an idiot and the odds are pretty great that you won't have to deal with waiting for parts from Tesla. Just in case though I keep a sledge hammer in the frunk and one in the trunk. If I'm in an accident I'm going to make sure it's totaled.

I assume you're joking about avoiding accidents that are not your fault at all by "not driving like an idiot".

You think that I wanted that 21 year old underinsured delivery driver to do 20 in my work parking lot and tbone me? Trust me, lots of fun for all involved, and never been in an accident before that day. Maybe if I wasn't "driving like an idiot" she would have gotten off her phone and gone 5MPH as was posted.

Yikes.

Basically what it comes down to is this:
1. Tesla is not a convenient car to own
2. You'll save on gas, but you'll pay for it in INCONVENIENCE and SERVICE ISSUES
3. The cars drive great, but have many nagging fitment and trim problems
4. If you get into an accident, expect NOT to have your car for 4 to 12 months
5. Tesla is understaffed and lack resources, and their personnel is just as surprised and clueless as customers as to why/how Tesla does things.

Last edited:
Reading this thread makes me think you guys get in frequent car accidents. How many significant accidents have you been in your life? Just don't drive like an idiot and the odds are pretty great that you won't have to deal with waiting for parts from Tesla.
Completely agree. It's been literally decades since we've had body work done as a result of an accident. (I'll admit, though, that over the years our cars have had minor cosmetic damage that we've chosen not to fix. And, although we drive in big cities, we spend most of our time in our semi-rural area.)

This is not to excuse Tesla, as they really need to be able to scale. But parts delays would not be a big reason for us to avoid Tesla. I'm not about to go back to buying Toyotas, etc.! In the event of an accident, I'd be much more concerned that my family is riding in a safe car as opposed to an easy car to repair.

Completely agree. It's been literally decades since we've had body work done as a result of an accident. (I'll admit, though, that over the years our cars have had minor cosmetic damage that we've chosen not to fix. And, although we drive in big cities, we spend most of our time in our semi-rural area.)

This is not to excuse Tesla, as they really need to be able to scale. But parts delays would not be a big reason for us to avoid Tesla. I'm not about to go back to buying Toyotas, etc.! In the event of an accident, I'd be much more concerned that my family is riding in a safe car as opposed to an easy car to repair.

With all due respect, what is your point?

That it's ok for a Tesla to be in a body shop for 12 months because it' a safe car to drive?

Why can't Tesla owners have BOTH?

A safe car.. and accessible parts for repairs... Let's not "normalize" this..

In the event of an accident, I'd be much more concerned that my family is riding in a safe car as opposed to an easy car to repair.

There are many, many safe, easier to repair cars. One more perpetuated, hyped up Twitter myth about Tesla being the "safest" car on the road. It's not alone in this category. In fact, in certain testing, there are safer cars.

Current IIHS TOP SAFETY PICKs

Considering that in the Elektrek article it is stated that Tesla has promised to get the car repaired right away, I think we've hit upon the answer. When your Tesla is in an accident, cue up the media regarding Tesla's slow repair times. Once there is bad press they get the parts to the body shop. It's a real shame that Tesla does this. This concern almost stopped me from buying a Tesla.

Well, the car was just days away from completion anyway when I published my original Motley Fool article, so I don't think Tesla has done much else following me publicizing it, other than investigating and blaming the shop.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
It all boils down to Elons EGO.

And now they stab the shops in the back with this PR instead of being honest.
Heck, I´m waiting three (!) months now for simple tailgate screws and door sills.

The grand scheme is becoming clearer every day.
use everything to achieve future shipments and sh*** on your customer base.

Reactions: GreenT
There may be a business opportunity for an entrepreneur to come in and start developing a full line of after market replacement parts.

Does anyone have contacts with an automotive accessories manufacturer or machine shop who's willing to tackle this?