Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone –

This week, the service team hit a global customer service satisfaction record. The team has done a fantastic job on what we control currently: our own service centers. We’re now turning our efforts on the centers we don’t control: accident repairs in body shops.

The body shop in the OP article did not begin repairs on the car for three months and then ordered more than 90 parts and took over seven months to repair the car. Neither of those are indicators of competence. To top it off, they blamed their performance on Tesla. We know from complaints that the body shop experience needs to get a lot better – and fast.

What the service team has done so far is a roadmap of how we’re going to fix the autobody experience. Wait times for appointments measured in hours and a handful of days currently. We’re providing same-day service from the Bay Area to Oslo and everywhere in between. In fact, almost 20% of jobs in our flagship center in Palo Alto are handled before the customer can finish their cup of coffee (yes, you read that correctly).

Thankfully, only a handful of our owners experience accidents each year. Since customers schedule and interface with the body shops on their own, we’re largely blind to the service pace.

Most of the customer complaints about body shops mentioned parts, so we focused on this issue. To date, we’ve reduced backlog by over 80%.

Even though we reduced part wait times, we continued to dig into the body shop complaints. What we found was astounding – cars sat at body shops for weeks and sometimes months before the body shops took action and, more often than not, the body shops blaming Tesla for parts delays were the very shops that hadn’t even ordered parts or started the repair.

We are applying brute force to this immediately. We will have individuals on our team personally manage each car on behalf of our customers that are in 3rd party body shops.

We’re also going to increase our approved shop count by 300 over the next few weeks as well as eliminating poor performing shops.

If you have an issue with a shop, please PM me directly and our team will advocate and manage your repair.

Tesla owners will get the service they expect from us – period.

Thanks to the entire service team for their commitment to setting the highest standard for service in the industry,

Jon

You need to speak to and address the internal Tesla problems. Anybody reading the details here understands that a large component of these delays are in Tesla's court. Your response is largely nonsense. You state that you are "blind to the service pace" - - - and, why is that? Don't you check your TAT on parts requests? You don't require some kind of quality/performance feedback from your suppliers? On a lighter note, I'll offer a tad bit of humor. One of our high tech suppliers had recently announced some fascinating technology and on their NPI tour presented an early reveal. Following on to their promotion, I inquired about the initial lead times. They estimated a 96-week delivery. Taken aback (we had purchased a lot from these guys and had never seen a lead time in this range) - I commented that I could build a human being in less time than it was going to take them to build their new widget. Food for thought as I read thru some of your customers' comments.

Hey Stan, welcome aboard.

My wife's car was at Class Auto in Long Beach for FOUR MONTHS and one week, so I am attuned to what people have to say about repairs. I don't think that JonMc's response was "largely nonsense." I wish he had posted that before we got our car back. Class Auto does good work, but FOUR MONTHS and one week takes a bite out of my recommending them. Not sure what the problem was-- I'm sure Class Auto blamed Tesla, and as we see here, Tesla blames the auto shops.

BTW, we usually wait until at least our second post to attack the credibility of others who post here. :)

Last edited:
After ordering an MS windshield on 4/18, the windshield finally arrived and the work was completed on 6/7. While the body shop was able to install the windshield in a day, the two month wait for a replacement Tesla windshield makes me wonder what would happen if I was on a cross country drive with serious windshield damage.

(The original Motley Fool story is now shown at the Yahoo home page. As a news story, the facts are starting to be published far and wide.)

Wow, really? That article was on Yahoo home page in late June? It was published in early March. Weird. (Author of Motley Fool article here.)

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and Mark Z
Hey Stan, welcome aboard.

My wife's car was at Class Auto in Long Beach for FOUR MONTHS and one week, so I am attuned to what people have to say about repairs. I don't think that JonMc's response was "largely nonsense." I wish he had posted that before we got our car back. Class Auto does good work, but FOUR MONTHS and one week takes a bite out of my recommending them. Not sure what the problem was-- I'm sure Class Auto blamed Tesla, and as we see here, Tesla blames the auto shops.

BTW, we usually wait until at least our second post to attack the credibility of others who post here. :)

That's why I offered to post everything my body shop had to show transparency. I have documented proof of lack of parts availability I waved around. My body shop sent me the outstanding list with what was there and 12 items missing. Never got a taker from Jon. It's a post to pat ourselves on the back, addresses some issues but ultimately ignored the elephant in the room, I.e. Replacement parts supply chain is an Achilles heel at Tesla.

There seems to be a white elefant in this room.

See also: Love this company: they have my back on accident repairs to my car

Timely spare parts supply needs an intricate logistics concept that statistically hatches probable use rates and stores sufficient amounts of parts in regional centers within reasonable distance of all locations to guarantee next day service on 90+ % of all Parts, or air freight from a more central location.

Clearly, Tesla can not afford or does not bother to do so. It seems that many parts are only bought or even manufactured when the order comes in.

Lucky those who can solve their issue by listening to the soothing voice of a customer representative on the phone, or where the SC holds the part in question locally. For all others the question becomes: does part logistics (storage, network) exist at all? Where? How to access?

Clearly this situation is not acceptable for Model 3 customers, most of whom will be one car owners. This might spell failure of the Model 3 marketing if not addressed appropriately.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I was taken out when I was driving early May on a bay area freeway when a driver in the lane next to me swerved right into my front right quarter panel. I saw a blur and then the airbags deployed. There literally was nothing that I could do. Me and my S went from 65 to 0 mph. From there it has been a rocky road. Over two months in I do not know when my car will be complete. The original estimate was 10 weeks. It took 2 months to get the parts. Now the issue if the frame machine. There is another Model X on the frame machine before mine that is taking longer because as previous folks have noted Al crumples pretty badly in collisions. Which is good and bad also previously noted. I don't think Tesla anticipated the cars would be in as many accidents as they are. Tesla has been responsive and helpful but there just aren't enough body shops to deal with the crashed up cars. I have asked for a Model S loaner as they have used S models in Fremont they could provide customers in the Bay area but they don't want to do that. That is their choice.

I love my Tesla and have been a brand ambassador and will continue to be but there is a real problem with collision repair times and I don't see an end to this anytime soon. So I have some advice for everyone-advice that I learned the hard way. Amica insurance is the only car insurance that I can find (?) that offers the rental reimbursement that will cover you for these periods. They have a premium option and a max of 5500-you're going to need it. Get familiar with diminished value. If you get hit by an underinsured driver kiss that good bye because first party insurance won't cover you. Figure out who locally tows Tesla's. If you do through AAA or Geico expect to sit for a long long time as most tow companies won't touch a Tesla-especially if they have powered down. You pretty much have to go through Tesla roadside -If you get towed to a body shop they can bill to the body shop. Just prepare yourself for a long haul. The worst part for me was I had no idea that this was an issue with the Model S. When I bought mine this information was not available.

I drive a lot and am concerned about the path forward for me and my car if I get hit again. The previous threads about not getting in accidents are a bit silly. This is my first accident in my life-that is why they are called accidents. You cannot control some idiot's behavior and you will pay for it-one way or another. The probability is not zero and everyone should plan for being without your car for at least 3 months and likely more.

Reading this thread makes me think you guys get in frequent car accidents. How many significant accidents have you been in your life? Just don't drive like an idiot and the odds are pretty great that you won't have to deal with waiting for parts from Tesla. Just in case though I keep a sledge hammer in the frunk and one in the trunk. If I'm in an accident I'm going to make sure it's totaled.
I know. Very silly. I learned my lesson the hard way. I've been hit twice since making this silly post.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I was taken out when I was driving early May on a bay area freeway when a driver in the lane next to me swerved right into my front right quarter panel. I saw a blur and then the airbags deployed. There literally was nothing that I could do. Me and my S went from 65 to 0 mph. From there it has been a rocky road. Over two months in I do not know when my car will be complete. The original estimate was 10 weeks. It took 2 months to get the parts. Now the issue if the frame machine. There is another Model X on the frame machine before mine that is taking longer because as previous folks have noted Al crumples pretty badly in collisions. Which is good and bad also previously noted. I don't think Tesla anticipated the cars would be in as many accidents as they are. Tesla has been responsive and helpful but there just aren't enough body shops to deal with the crashed up cars. I have asked for a Model S loaner as they have used S models in Fremont they could provide customers in the Bay area but they don't want to do that. That is their choice.

I love my Tesla and have been a brand ambassador and will continue to be but there is a real problem with collision repair times and I don't see an end to this anytime soon. So I have some advice for everyone-advice that I learned the hard way. Amica insurance is the only car insurance that I can find (?) that offers the rental reimbursement that will cover you for these periods. They have a premium option and a max of 5500-you're going to need it. Get familiar with diminished value. If you get hit by an underinsured driver kiss that good bye because first party insurance won't cover you. Figure out who locally tows Tesla's. If you do through AAA or Geico expect to sit for a long long time as most tow companies won't touch a Tesla-especially if they have powered down. You pretty much have to go through Tesla roadside -If you get towed to a body shop they can bill to the body shop. Just prepare yourself for a long haul. The worst part for me was I had no idea that this was an issue with the Model S. When I bought mine this information was not available.

I drive a lot and am concerned about the path forward for me and my car if I get hit again. The previous threads about not getting in accidents are a bit silly. This is my first accident in my life-that is why they are called accidents. You cannot control some idiot's behavior and you will pay for it-one way or another. The probability is not zero and everyone should plan for being without your car for at least 3 months and likely more.
ElectronNic is right. My wife ran her new Model S into the curb and broke off the front wheel. Car was at Class Auto in Long Beach for FOUR MONTHS and one week. No loaners, never any updates on what was going on or when the car might be ready. Just that they were waiting on parts, or found more problems to fix, and had to order more parts.

• Informative
Reactions: xborg
Sorry to hear that Electroman=( Dare I ask how many times you have been hit. Old school cars you could rig to just drive off a cliff into the ocean or what have you-The damn T would stop. =)

Has anyone thought of parting out their S on the black market for parts? Ha.

Meanwhile I see big rigs loaded up with model S cars heading to the shipping ports in Richmond all the time.

Recent update on my car this week- The Model X on the frame machine before me-Now they are waiting for a part for that car and can't take that car off and get mine on until they get that part. I let Tesla know and again they are very responsive and helpful but my car she still sits.

I live in central California and unfortunately there's only one Tesla approved body shop within 150 miles: North Fresno Collision Center. When I was in an accident and the car required repair, I didn't have much choice but to let them do it, as Tesla refused to sell to my preferred body shop. They left the car sitting outside in the intense heat gathering dust for the first week and a half while their Tesla-certified technician was away on vacation. When the repairs were finally completed, I received the car with swirls all over the paint, missing pop-rivets, misaligned body panels, and a screeching air conditioner. If I had known it would end like this, I would have picked the shop 200 miles away instead.

The problem is Tesla refusing to sell to body shops that are not "approved", and therefore there's no competition and most times the customer has no realistic choice.

Model X accident 07/27/2017, minor enough front end collision that the other vehicle did not file a claim. Took 3 weeks to tear down the car and get parts ordered on 08/22/2017. Tesla did not respond to the body shop until 09/18/2017 and asked for additional pictures before fulfilling the order (?). Waiting on a seat currently (airbags deployed), which Tesla says will not be built until next week as they have been waiting on Parts from China, then it will be shipped to the shop for install. As an aside, I ordered the car 05/06/2017 and it was delivered 05/26/2017, officially been in the shop for one month longer than it was in my garage and two months longer than it took to build it from scratch!

Hi everyone –

This week, the service team hit a global customer service satisfaction record. The team has done a fantastic job on what we control currently: our own service centers. We’re now turning our efforts on the centers we don’t control: accident repairs in body shops.

The body shop in the OP article did not begin repairs on the car for three months and then ordered more than 90 parts and took over seven months to repair the car. Neither of those are indicators of competence. To top it off, they blamed their performance on Tesla. We know from complaints that the body shop experience needs to get a lot better – and fast.

What the service team has done so far is a roadmap of how we’re going to fix the autobody experience. Wait times for appointments measured in hours and a handful of days currently. We’re providing same-day service from the Bay Area to Oslo and everywhere in between. In fact, almost 20% of jobs in our flagship center in Palo Alto are handled before the customer can finish their cup of coffee (yes, you read that correctly).

Thankfully, only a handful of our owners experience accidents each year. Since customers schedule and interface with the body shops on their own, we’re largely blind to the service pace.

Most of the customer complaints about body shops mentioned parts, so we focused on this issue. To date, we’ve reduced backlog by over 80%.

Even though we reduced part wait times, we continued to dig into the body shop complaints. What we found was astounding – cars sat at body shops for weeks and sometimes months before the body shops took action and, more often than not, the body shops blaming Tesla for parts delays were the very shops that hadn’t even ordered parts or started the repair.

We are applying brute force to this immediately. We will have individuals on our team personally manage each car on behalf of our customers that are in 3rd party body shops.

We’re also going to increase our approved shop count by 300 over the next few weeks as well as eliminating poor performing shops.

If you have an issue with a shop, please PM me directly and our team will advocate and manage your repair.

Thanks to the entire service team for their commitment to setting the highest standard for service in the industry,

Jon
Sir,

My P90D has been at John Eagle repair center in Dallas TX since Feb 10 2017. they blame Telsa wholly for send ing incorrect parts multiple times but never mentioned shortages. in one case, the wrong part came out 3 times! I need help as i only had the car 8 months before this almost year repair that should have never been performed. Local Tesla are trying to assist but this really isn't their issue as John Eagle a Tesla approved shop with about 90 Tesla's in there at any given time. i'm happy to provide details but at this point, my 80k repair job and lack of car make it really hard for me to maintain a positive attitude about my investment and current financial commitment to the model 3. any assistance would be much appreciated. Brian

Hi everyone –

Jon

Jon
Don't wish to go into all the details here, but I have been waiting since October 2018 for parts to be delivered to Caldwell Collision in Concord NC. Our garage was crushed by trees falling on it during the hurricane, and unfortunately our Model S was caught under the trees. I have talked Caldwell weekly, and they can only tell me that they hear nothing from Tesla on an ETA for parts. I have taken to communicate directly with "Tyson P", a member of your Body Shop Customer Advocate team, but Tyson is not providing any meaningful information, I do believe if Tyson had some it would be shared, but nothing is being told to me about an ETA for parts. See our latest exchange:

Mr. Ackerman (Akerman),
the information I have provided is the most up to date that is available. As you may or may not be aware on last Friday 7% of the workforce was let go, this has affected this team by reducing personnel down to 2 individuals. We are working to carry the load for and to get our customers taken care of. Thank you for your understanding

Best Regards
Tyson P | Body Shop Customer Advocate
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Tesla.com/bodyshop | [email protected]

The information that Tyson shared was that there is no information to tell me at this time but when there is, I'll be told.

I am frustrated as I am sure other Tesla owners waiting on parts to repair their cars, that a simple ETA cannot be provided. Surely production schedules are created for parts, inventory is kept and managed to certain levels, orders are placed to fulfil open orders, so why can't I be given an ETA?

Any help will be appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
Well.. Jon McNeil is not with Tesla anymore.

Nevertheless this is direct proof that the 7% Tesla laid off includes service personnel too. This is utter idiocy. Shooting yourselves on the foot. Service that is not already stellar, is bound to get worse with higher deliveries and that will directly have a word of mouth negative influence on the demand. And it will be very hard to change perceptions.

Not sure Musk is listening.

• Love
Reactions: ikjadoon