Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Brings a Chevy Bolt to Tesla Desgin Studios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did they park the Bolts in Supercharger stalls instead of just open spaces in the parking lot? Seems they were trying to be intentionally provocative to get hostile or negative reactions from employees so they could write a juicy story about the encounter. That seems to be borne out by the tenor of the opening paragraphs of the story. If that's indeed their motivation, they failed. Likewise in their meet-up with Tesla owners... people were curious and offered their reasoned comments, but no one trash-talked the Bolt.

Reactions: JeffK
The thing that impressed me is the integrity displayed by the Tesla employees. Honest feedback, no trashing the competition.

This speaks more about Tesla than anything else I can imagine. Class act.
Yep. It sort of reminds me of the open house that GM had at their Advanced Technology Center in Torrance, CA in December 2010 right before the first production Volts were delivered to customers. The ATC was where much of the EV1 motor, inverter, and charging hardware development had been done and they still had a small EV1 shrine/museum in the corner of the building.They took groups of visitors around the building and showed everything they were doing. I think they did some work on the Volt and also did environmental testing (shake and bake) on electronic components.

Anyway, among the visitors that day were a couple of engineers from Tesla who arrived in a Roadster, hung around and talked to folks, and gave a few test rides (and took a pre-production Volt for a spin).

That article reminds me of a scene from "Revenge of the Electric Car" when Lutz and Musk are walking the floor of the Detroit Auto show and they come across the Leaf. Lutz was being himself and very critical of the Leaf, basically because it is not a GM product I am going to trash talk. While Musk was actually impressed by the car at the price point they were selling it at. Glad that Tesla continues to show their class in this regards to competitors.

Reactions: JeffK
MotorTrend said:
However, when I line them up to photograph their judgment, it’s a different story. Or maybe group pressure. “How many of you have Model 3 reservations?” I ask. Eleven out of 19 hands rise.

“Now, after seeing and riding in the Bolt, how many of you would now cancel that reservation?” All but one hand dropped (one of Phil’s two Model 3s).

For now, at least, they’re remain under the spell of Mr. Musk’s magic.

That's a little biased. It could also be that the Bolt was weighed and found wanting.

That's a little biased. It could also be that the Bolt was weighed and found wanting.
Exactly. It's as if the author couldn't believe that these Model 3 reservation holders, after seeing the Bolt EV in person, would choose to stick with the upcoming Model 3 instead of switching to the Bolt... so, the author surmised, they must have been reluctant due to perceived peer pressure or were "under the spell". In other words, their decision to not switch must have been purely emotional rather than rational. I would posit that it's the author who may be "under the spell" and can't accept the possibility that others may not share his conclusion of a Bolt vs. Model 3 comparison or that they do not likewise see the light as he does and realize that Musk is a cult-leader ("Mr. Musk's magic") and that Tesla is not a real car company.

Thanks for posting the article, OP. I think it's great that Tesla employees came outside and really checkout out the car with no notice from Motor Trend. I think it is obvious that EM's goal is Tesla's goal.....increase the number of EV's on the road and Tesla won't/can't be the only one to do it. I also love that this is another American company.

Seems the Bolt is a good car. I do have my own reservations about it. 1)size. I am concerned about safety if I am hit by another car. This has happened to me before. 2) will it look cheap inside? Obviously I haven't seen one in person, but when I look at pictures, the Volt is much nicer inside 3) AWD I live in Colorado and drive in the snow, sometimes in the mountains. TBH, I am worried about clearance with my Model 3 too since it can get deep. 4) being able to charge on trips.

All this being said, the thing I like most about the Bolt over the M3 is the hatchback. Not just hatchback, but, the height where the hatchback closes.

I am coming from a Toyota Highlander. I don't need a vehicle as large anymore, but I do need to be able to get around in the snow and I use the back all the time. Golf clubs, real estate signs, Costco trips, etc.

@BluestarE3 you mischaracterize the writer. Kim has been driving EVs since EV1 days and has been and in and drove the TZero. Even the two gear Tesla Roadster... additionally, he was very much involved in the group that voted and granted Tesla with the Motor Trend Car of he Year for the Model S. he is pro-EV and Tesla-fair.

I believe that those that voted in the event were closer to @rhumbliner assessment. (We counted for two of those hands... two reservations and my wife and I were in the middle, I'm the one in the Aloha shirt in the right of picture)

IMG_3403 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

It is also important to note that the question was placed before we got to ride in the car... it was after the ride that it solidified in my mind that the Bolt EV would be a better car for my mom... Leaf driver and Model 3 reservation holder... personally I worry about the over the air update and constant UI changes will be an adjustment for her every time.

Seems the Bolt is a good car. I do have my own reservations about it. 1)size. I am concerned about safety if I am hit by another car. This has happened to me before. 2) will it look cheap inside? Obviously I haven't seen one in person, but when I look at pictures, the Volt is much nicer inside 3) AWD I live in Colorado and drive in the snow, sometimes in the mountains. TBH, I am worried about clearance with my Model 3 too since it can get deep. 4) being able to charge on trips.

1) it's the same size approximately as an i3. See my write-up from the event on the other thread, lots of pictures there... (while you're at it, take the poll).

2) it looks good, but it is cheaper plastic materials, etc. It is similar to early Model S in that way... I used to compare early Model S interior as a $60,000 car with a $30,000 battery. If the Bolt EV were ICE, it should be about $20,000 and a $17,500 battery...

3) Front wheel drive only (not even the fun of being pushed like RWD BMW or Tesla EVs)

4) one of my challenges with it, but luckily we have an S and 2 Model 3 on order.