Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend: World Exclusive! 2012 Tesla Model S Test and Range Verification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They added this now, it was range charged:
"After a full, extended range charge at the track, navigator and data collector Benson Kong and I left the Speedway and aimed south towards San Diego..."

Still, think a supercharge and a burger is reasonable after 5 hours of constant driving :smile:

First, their range was on the order of 235, not sure where 215 came from.
Second, until we can find out if they charged using range mode or standard, I wouldn't make any judgements.
Third, even if it was in range mode, they missed EPA range by about 10%. They mentioned sudden braking and acceleration and the drove with windows partially down. They also had mainly a headwind. So I wouldn't be too surprised at a 10% loss of range.

I think also another thing to note is that this may be the actual range of the 85 kWh model.....when a "regular" person drives it under "regular" conditions.....

I'm sure there are some out there who are going to do the hypermile thing whenever they drive, not use the AC, windows up, sunroof closed, minimized weight, etc......I'm sure these people will get the 265-300 miles.....

More than one way of looking at things.....

I'm sure if I had the TMS, I'd drive with the AC blasting or windows down, >55mph on the highway....if I wanted to hypermile and drive 55....i'd get a prius or a leaf.....I think the Model S begs to be driven, and driven with passion!!!!

There's practical and theoretical....

I'm sure if I had the TMS, I'd drive with the AC blasting or windows down, >55mph on the highway....if I wanted to hypermile and drive 55....i'd get a prius or a leaf.....I think the Model S begs to be driven, and driven with passion!!!!

Well, the Model S has the instrumentation included to let you know what you're doing. You have to add instrumentation to the Prius to figure it out.

Still, on my last two trips to Nebraska (a couple of weeks ago) I averaged close to 60 mpg and speeds were between 50 and 80 mph. You just have to know when to go 80.

The thing about the Model S is that it's so cheap to drive the time you would want to be careful is on trips where you're trying for range. On a daily commute basis the difference might be fifteen or twenty cents and range doesn't enter into it.

My experience has been that driving with passion generally causes a collision :)

The range graph that Elon posted shows that @65mph (constant) over level ground in ideal conditions the Model S will go ~260 miles.

With 2 people in the car, and with less than ideal conditions (the I15 is not very flat going to San Diego. Not in the Least) it does not come as a shock to me that the car went ~240, and if it was in standard mode then we could expect range mode to go ~250 miles. Either way, it's well within what I expected for real life driving. Rod and Barbara posted somewhere that they were getting between 240 and 260 miles per charge in real world use.

Range goes up quite a bit if you cut your speed, or in stop and go conditions. For me, the only time I would need a SuperCharger is on the rare occasions I will drive to San Francisco to visit my sister. Vegas is the only other long trip I make, and that ~200 miles for me.

Those are the ugliest stickers I've seen. Surely the state could find someone with at least some talent to design them. A room full of monkeys could have created a more attractive design.

This is getting OT, but as someone who was around when the stickers were originally designed, believe me, they could have been far, far worse. The original stickers proposed by DMV were far more obtrusive and unattractive, and EV drivers mobilized to propose an alternative design. After some iteration, we got the sticker there is today, which is not great, but is drastically better than the original while still meeting the main requirement, which is for the CHP officers to be able to see it well enough to allow them to enforce the rules.

That's it in a nutshell Jerry...you know before you leave the garage (99% of the time) whether it's going to be a "fun" day, or a range day...on fun days (where range doesn't enter into the day's driving equation), you don't even think of the electron cost as it's minimal...on range days, you only consider the distance you need to travel and where you can charge up...the cost never enters your mind...'tis a beautiful thing! :smile:

Well, the Model S has the instrumentation included to let you know what you're doing. You have to add instrumentation to the Prius to figure it out.

Still, on my last two trips to Nebraska (a couple of weeks ago) I averaged close to 60 mpg and speeds were between 50 and 80 mph. You just have to know when to go 80.

The thing about the Model S is that it's so cheap to drive the time you would want to be careful is on trips where you're trying for range. On a daily commute basis the difference might be fifteen or twenty cents and range doesn't enter into it.

My experience has been that driving with passion generally causes a collision :)

I'm a little disappointed, too. I live in South Florida, and there will be *no* occasion where I will have the A/C in "vent" mode. It will *always* be in A/C On mode. It sounds like my 85 will be lucky to make 200 miles, which means my road trips to Orlando will have no chance of being non-stop anymore. This means it will still be the minivan for the family trips. I figured paying for a car that could do as much as 320 miles, I would be fine going 220!

I'm a little disappointed, too. I live in South Florida, and there will be *no* occasion where I will have the A/C in "vent" mode. It will *always* be in A/C On mode. It sounds like my 85 will be lucky to make 200 miles, which means my road trips to Orlando will have no chance of being non-stop anymore. This means it will still be the minivan for the family trips. I figured paying for a car that could do as much as 320 miles, I would be fine going 220!

You can do 220 but probably not at 70-75 mph. While not ideal, traveling a little slower at 60 mph in the right late (annoying to do) will gain you a lot of distance. Minivan might be easier if traveling that slow is not an option.

You would have to find some medium speed 45-55mph roads to be able to travel the advertised 300 miles at 55mph. It's not possible using 65mph speeds.

This test doesn't show how much impact air conditioning will have but they did get a figure of 238 (233.7 miles using 78.2kWh with 4 miles est. range left), so maybe 220 is still possible, depending on the hit from the air con.

I figure a 220 mile trip at 65mph will take about 3.5 hours. Figuring about 1kW air conditioning load that will use up 3.5kWh or about 10.5 miles of range).