Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend's Model X P90D(L) Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Motor Trend just posted their review of the Model X P90D. Summary:

Feels that the falcon wing doors, windshield, and monopost seats are all gimmicks.

Likes the auto-opening driver's door, infotainment system, and autopilot.

0 to 60 in 3.2 is the quickest SUV they've ever tested.

Full review here.

They didn't proofread their article. "Comparing P90D to P90D, the EPA-projected range drops by just 3 miles, from 253 miles to 250."
A. The drop is 7 miles
B. It's P90D to 90D
C. Model S is 2.8 not 2.6 0-60

In regards to the range differential, Motor Trend is quoting the EPA numbers, which does report only a 3 mile drop between the Model S and Model X P90Ds.

ModelXModelSRange.JPG

Let's not ignore their commentary on the design (something I've been concerned about since the reveal in September):

"Speaking of style, there’s little nice to say about the way the Model X looks. Its details are inoffensive—the headlights and taillights, for example—but it has the proportions of a pregnant hippo."

Let's not ignore their commentary on the design (something I've been concerned about since the reveal in September):

"Speaking of style, there’s little nice to say about the way the Model X looks. Its details are inoffensive—the headlights and taillights, for example—but it has the proportions of a pregnant hippo."

I don't think this will deter sales in the slightest. If people had stopped buying crossovers because of looks, there would be no crossovers today! In this market segment, looks are secondary to ride height and internal capacity.

Reactions: CTemp222 and bollar
It looks fine. It's a 7 seater electric car. It needs to keep its drag coefficient low. Also, Model X is one of the very few attempts to redefine how a car can be. There will be a lot of people who will think FWD, windshield and monopost seats are gimmicks. If average person was able to realize the importance of breakthroughs, we wouldn't have long periods of stagnation in different fields of world.
In my opinion, it's premature to pass judgement as of now. Let the car be with owners for a significant amount of time, let it be in front of people for some time. Then we will decide if these features were gimmicks or yet again people have shown lack of understanding and appreciation for pioneers.

I understand that the FWDs were/are a headache to get right, but to call them a gimmick seems harsh.

If I understand correctly, the doors are to satisfy two primary ends: ease of ingress/egress and aesthetics/form. A regular door STINKS for getting your kids in car seats and for getting into a 3rd row. It's horrible. I gather if the reviewer had spent enough time with the car taking advantage of those aspects, then he might've missed the FWD a bit more when he returned to a different 7 seat suv (using his conception of gimmick as a non-missed feature). As to design, well, personally I like the design of the car, and if the FWD were necessary to de-minivan the car's appearance, then great! But more interesting to me is whether a minivan door that worked with the aerodynamic demands of an effective electric car (and that made it not look like a minivan) is even possible or any less difficult to design.

Anyways, .02 on those doors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Falcon Wing doors are nothing short of amazing for getting my rear facing toddlers into their car seats. The week before we took delivery of our Model X, I actually strained my lower back a bit getting one of our twins in our RAV4. I wasn't bending over, but I do have to extend my reach so I don't bump their heads on the car ceiling. With the Model X, I can just drop them straight in from the top, and manage all the buckles and straps without ducking into the vehicle. It might be a gimmick to those without car seats, but it's a luxury to me.

The only thing that stood out is their claim that the A/C doesn't hold up... Really? I have seen this complaint in various posts in the S forum over time and just haven't been able to duplicate that at all. For instance, last summer while I was still pondering the S, I had an overnight test drive in a 85D during a very hot stretch (it was 105 the day I picked up the car in Walnut Creek) and the A/C did just fine with plenty of room to spare...

I just don't get it...

Jeff

The only thing that stood out is their claim that the A/C doesn't hold up... Really? I have seen this complaint in various posts in the S forum over time and just haven't been able to duplicate that at all. For instance, last summer while I was still pondering the S, I had an overnight test drive in a 85D during a very hot stretch (it was 105 the day I picked up the car in Walnut Creek) and the A/C did just fine with plenty of room to spare...

I just don't get it...

Jeff

Is it possible they had range mode on and didn't realize it? Still I don't really feel the change in AC is all that different either way.

"In theory. In reality, they occasionally smack the car parked right next to them. At least they do so lightly, leaving not a mark on either car. They don’t seem to notice people standing closely, however, and the door tends to aim directly for the male crotch. Safe to say the doors are a little short of perfect.

You know what is perfect? A regular door. Or even a minivan-type sliding door. We’re not convinced the falcon doors were worth the trouble, especially as they’ve been credited with delaying the Model X’s start of production for more than 18 months.

The big shame there is that the vehicle lurking in the shadow of those doors is so good that Elon’s ego has cost the world a year and a half of pleasure living with what could possibly be the best people-mover extant.

It’d be a better SUV without the falcon doors, the monopost seats, and the windshield, but as it sits now, the Model X is one hell of a people hauler."

Has been said here a thousand times, and will be repeated another thousand times.. Only hope it won't be an MBA topic in Harvard for future generations..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tree95
I don't get it. The falcon wing doors take almost no space to open up. Why would they get hit by the door? The do realize the doors aren't magical and you still have to get out of the way of the opening door, just like pretty much every other door on Earth, right? You have to be intentionally trying to block the door in order to get hit by it.

Some people seem to want to attack the door design, just because it is different. It's a form of unfair discrimination, just like some of the folks who are against EVs. The falcon wing doors have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall, they are at least as good as any other door. There are many unique benefits, like the ease of getting children in and out of child seats. I can't remember exactly how many times I have banged my kids head on the roof of my other cars trying to get them in. If I had falcon wing doors, I am sure they would thank me for it. My back would thank me too.

As I watched a couple loading their child into the car seat through the falcon wing doors yesterday at the supercharger, I realized the doors serve a very specific purpose -- and excel at it. No leaning over and straining the back, or ducking the kid under the roof like a minivan with a roof in the way. (Every single car driving by stopped and oogled for a few mins, so the falcon door also serves another purpose). The blue is a standout color on the X (I don't like the new blue on the S), first blue one I've seen and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Read the comments of that article, and man Tesla and Model X get a lot of hate. And so many people saying that Teslas are just toys for the rich, and only useful as a third or fourth car.

Really funny since Model S is my primary car and my only car. And so far, I've had zero issues and there has been nothing that my car couldn't handle.

Reactions: Jon and madodel
Interesting review. Pretty much reflects my impressions of the X that I looked at. The falcon wing doors and large windshield are gimmicky and both will likely prove to be difficult to live with. I'd prefer regular doors. Otherwise I really liked it. It's not beautiful though.

The hateful comments are the norm these days online, class envy is a useful tool of the political class.

Last edited: