Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motortrend Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
Earth
Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

Here are some snippets, sounds like Motor Trend really liked how the 3 drove:

What’s blanching, though, is the car’s ride and handling. If anybody was expecting a typical boring electric sedan here, nope. The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes. I glance at Franz—this OK? “Go for it,” he nods. The Model 3 is so unexpected scalpel-like, I’m sputtering for adjectives. The steering ratio is quick, the effort is light (for me), but there enough light tremble against your fingers to hear the cornering negotiations between Stunt Road and these 235/40R19 tires (Continental ProContact RX m+s’s). And to mention body roll is to have already said too much about it. Sure, that battery is low, way down under the floor. But unlike the aluminum Model S, the Tesla Model 3 is composed of steel, too, and this car’s glass ceiling can’t be helping the center of gravity’s height. Nearly-nil body roll? Magic, I’m telling you. Magic. And this is the single-motor, rear-wheel-drive starting point. The already boggled mind boggles further at the mention of Dual Motor and Ludicrous.

Have I ever driven a more startling small sedan? I haven’t. At speed, it gains a laser-alertness I haven’t encountered before. By happenstance, associate road test editor Erick Ayapana had penciled me into a 2.0-liter Alfa Romeo Giulia to get here, and it feels like a wet sponge by comparison.

That little review makes me want a Model 3, lol. I really enjoyed how the P85+ drove, but Tesla seem to moving away from that sharp, precise handling on the Model S and X (and it probably make sense to have their big cars be more comfort focused), and it looks like the 3 has some great driving dynamics.

After driving my wonderful Model S for many years now, a smaller, tighter handling Tesla sounds pretty fun!

Also in the review: touch screen adjusts vents, scroll wheels adjust steering wheel.

Motortrend took great pictures.

Trunk/Frunk look great.
Unknown-5.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg

I actually think Tesla is making a mistake by not offering a standard and a sports suspension option. Model S owners with coils and even Model X owners with the air suspension often complain the cars ride too firm and I can see that happening here. While enthusiasts might prefer it, the average consumer doesn't. With the weight so low, there is no reason to not make a standard non-sport suspension. The car will still handle fine with it.

As a comparison, BMW offers standard, sport, and even adaptive suspensions. Mark my words...you are going to see owners complain it "rides rough".

Reactions: harry
I actually think Tesla is making a mistake by not offering a standard and a sports suspension option. Model S owners with coils and even Model X owners with the air suspension often complain the cars ride too firm and I can see that happening here. While enthusiasts might prefer it, the average consumer doesn't. With the weight so low, there is no reason to not make a standard non-sport suspension. The car will still handle fine with it.

As a comparison, BMW offers standard, sport, and even adaptive suspensions. Mark my words...you are going to see owners complain it "rides rough".

Can't argue with that, but I have to think that with time the option packages and available tweaks will increase. Or perhaps not. No car is the car for everyone, the Model 3 will be no different in that regard.

I agree. However that's just too complex for now, maybe later. If it indeed has suspension like a Giulia Q, that would just be amazing. However yes that's way too firm for most people. Need a standard suspension... but then sports suspension will be 2k extra...

Clearly info was Available since it was published quickly after the event.

I firmly believe Elon soft played the intro so that S sales would not be severely impacted.

Oh yeah, those guys were all up in the car earlier in the day. Furiously writing all afternoon I assume.
Perhaps soft played. My goal was to learn more about the pricing and see some more pics. The event and article filled that need for me. Now the wait and watch continues. :p

A glowing review

Recently I’ve been spending some time in Motor Trend’s long-term Chevrolet Bolt EV and with every mile edging closer to calling it The Automobile 2.0. With its affordability, stress-free range, and delightful driving qualities, I’m thinking that maybe this is where the second era of the car commences. Pause that thought. With the Tesla Model 3’s performance, slinky style, fascinating creativity, and, critically, its Supercharger safety net, I think this is truly where it begins. Here at the corner of Mulholland Highway and Old Topanga Road.

Reactions: internalaudit
Uh oh, I like physical vent adjustments. Recently drove the new Porsche Panamera for a pretty long time... really didn't like how the vents are adjusted by touchscreen... physical is simply more accurate and better "feeling"... Maybe Tesla does a better job...