Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a theory, is your phone constantly connected when you are in your home and the car is parked? If so, generally the car keeps awake and used the HVAC a lot more and this opens vents. I actually had ants get in mine this way as my phone generally keeps the car awake at home so now I shut the HVAC down whenever I get home. I basically bug bombed the inside of the car. Never had this with my S.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7
Yep, parked outside. Got the car in March, so this is the first time it's really cooling down. We do have a greenbelt behind us, but our driveway is paved. Added a bait box in the glove box and dryer sheets in trunk/frunk. Gonna think about outdoor solutions too. I'm considering parking the car on the street now. Did that with last car and never had an issue.
Bait means if it dies it will probably die in some inaccessible location in the car and stink! Glue traps are better, you have proof ya got the #$%^&* critter and can remove the corpse. You can even make a keepsake/warning to other mice.......
Mouse Taxidermy

This works pretty well to prevent the problem.
cat.JPG

Though I do get paw prints on the windshield and roof.

Bait means if it dies it will probably die in some inaccessible location in the car and stink! Glue traps are better, you have proof ya got the #$%^&* critter and can remove the corpse. You can even make a keepsake/warning to other mice.......
Mouse Taxidermy

I do think the bait inside a detached garage BEFORE a car is infested is the best way to keep rodent populations down. In my experience suppressing the mouse populations means no mice in house or car. But I do agree that bait is not the right approach once infested.

Short Version
I’ve recently experienced the same glovebox occupation. Has anyone with this particular type of mouse incursion been able to:
1. Determine the point of ingress to the passenger cabin? There must be some hole allowing them to get on the wrong side of the sheet metal and scurrying around in the voids under the interior trim.
2. Found where the insulation was taken from?
3. Determined all the cavities/passages that needed cleaning?

Obviously, the exact circumstances can vary, but I’d like to know what others have concluded.

Here are photos of my glovebox as well as the floorpan under the center console.
Glovebox.jpg
Floorpan Center Con.jpg

Long Version/Details
In my case the mice don’t appear to have entered via the cabin fresh air intake and the HVAC system in general. The metal screen at the firewall is still in place with no signs of critters attempting entry there. On the inside I checked the cabin air filters and they are fine. I also haven’t noticed any telltale mouse smells from the HVAC system. If the mice had been in the HVAC ducts I’d also expect to see signs of them getting into the cabin on the outside of the trim, on the surfaces people normally touch, but as best I can tell the mice have only been under the trim. As we know, this includes the inside of the closed glovebox on the Model 3 as it lacks a solid back shell. I’ve also seen signs of them under the center console, on top of the floor pan, which is really all part of the same series of connected cavities. Again, this is all outside of the HVAC ducts but under the interior trim.

I’m guessing there is some hole in the sheet metal that Tesla didn’t properly plug and mice are just waltzing in. I’m not really looking forward to pulling apart the entire vehicle trying to find said hole. And of course, it would be nice to also find the location of the insulation to replace it and remove any foreign material where the mice have been. If anyone has experience with this I’d love to hear what was ultimately discovered.

If you had Tesla service do the work, did they do a good job putting everything back with no damage to the trim? That includes all clips secured and no scratches, marring, or other aesthetic damage. I personally like to do my own trim work because I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with careless buffoons servicing other makes (non-Tesla). I’m not sure I want to give such a big job to Tesla as the first trial, but at the same time I wasn’t planning on spending so much time mucking around with this car. I was expecting this EV to be a nice tight ship. So much for that! I guess on the flip side, I might be able to address some of the squeaks and rattles I’ve been hearing from the car.

Background
I’m very familiar with the ways of mice and am no stranger to what they can do to vehicles. However, this is the first car I have ever owned were the mice got into the passenger cabin. With past cars it was always the warm engine bay and any of the assorted places in the bay that a mouse can nest. Obviously, a mouse could get into the passenger cabin with enough determination, but until this Tesla I’d say there should be plenty of signs ahead of the occupation progressing that far. Of course, a certain level of vigilance is required. I also recognize that on the Tesla the cabin is more attractive because there are sources of regular heat there, such as the computer behind the glovebox, the power electronics in the penthouse, etc. to say nothing of the car sitting all toasty during preconditioning by the HVAC system. Clearly Tesla had the sense of mind to put metal screening on the fresh air intake and that should be the only large opening that isn’t sealed up tight. Everything else should be gasketed, foamed, etc. or be tiny drain holes. If the passenger compartment is properly sealed mice should not be getting in.

I meant to mention in my previous message, I did see the post where someone reported the insulation coming from the footwell cover under the glovebox. In my case that insulation seems to be undisturbed (the small pillow type pieces are nicely in place). I haven't started pulling everything apart and was hoping to take advantage of other's findings to know where to look next.

Oh, and for the record, the glovebox felt and floorpan under the center console definitely needed to be washed due to, well, let's just say contamination that gave off an aroma. For me, when this sort of thing was contained to an engine bay it was a lot less burdensome to deal with. Being inside the passenger compartment and under the trim adds a whole new set of challenges.

We just learned our neighbors house was infested in the attic with roof rats. They heard nothing and saw nothing (even have two dogs in the house) until they had some black plastic and insulation being blown out of their heating vents the other day. The pest control set traps, apparently killed a few of them (hopefully all) and spent the day vacuuming out all the attic insulation. They will set more traps and look for entry holes to seal up. Totally disgusting to think about and my husband set traps around the outside of our house as a precaution. The Bay area is known to have a big population of roof rats and lots of news stories on them invading people's homes etc.

My husband's Camry a number of years ago had the insulation on his air filter cover chewed away, fortunately never got to the wiring etc. Nice neighborhood but with lots of fruit trees. We have a few palms but try to keep the inflorescence cut off before the fruit gets developed and ripe. Our lawn guys are also good about picking up any fruit on the ground we've missed. Our area has also seen a lot of development these past few years and the open fields where I'm sure they have been living have sent them into the nearby housing developments and commercial buildings. Best not to keep any food laying around (including food garbage) and especially dog food. As for your cars, keep them driven, open up areas like the glovebox and frunk and lower trunk that you don't maybe get to as often. Hopefully will keep them from settling in and chewing through your electrical system as well.

I meant to mention in my previous message, I did see the post where someone reported the insulation coming from the footwell cover under the glovebox. In my case that insulation seems to be undisturbed (the small pillow type pieces are nicely in place). I haven't started pulling everything apart and was hoping to take advantage of other's findings to know where to look next.

Oh, and for the record, the glovebox felt and floorpan under the center console definitely needed to be washed due to, well, let's just say contamination that gave off an aroma. For me, when this sort of thing was contained to an engine bay it was a lot less burdensome to deal with. Being inside the passenger compartment and under the trim adds a whole new set of challenges.
Curious if you park outside or if your garage is open or is an old garage with areas for mice to get in. Never seen any signs of mice in my garage, but these posts are making me a bit nervous. I do make a point of mopping the floor around my car with ammonia once in awhile. Also placed some bars of Irish Spring soap around the garage as I've heard that the smell deters mice.

We just learned our neighbors house was infested in the attic with roof rats. They heard nothing and saw nothing (even have two dogs in the house) until they had some black plastic and insulation being blown out of their heating vents the other day. The pest control set traps, apparently killed a few of them (hopefully all) and spent the day vacuuming out all the attic insulation. They will set more traps and look for entry holes to seal up. Totally disgusting to think about and my husband set traps around the outside of our house as a precaution. The Bay area is known to have a big population of roof rats and lots of news stories on them invading people's homes etc.

My husband's Camry a number of years ago had the insulation on his air filter cover chewed away, fortunately never got to the wiring etc. Nice neighborhood but with lots of fruit trees. We have a few palms but try to keep the inflorescence cut off before the fruit gets developed and ripe. Our lawn guys are also good about picking up any fruit on the ground we've missed. Our area has also seen a lot of development these past few years and the open fields where I'm sure they have been living have sent them into the nearby housing developments and commercial buildings. Best not to keep any food laying around (including food garbage) and especially dog food. As for your cars, keep them driven, open up areas like the glovebox and frunk and lower trunk that you don't maybe get to as often. Hopefully will keep them from settling in and chewing through your electrical system as well.

I hate to say this but setting traps is not going to assure you of much. If your area has rats, they can and will get in your house - especially your attic if you don't anticipate them.

We live in a fairly low density area of Marin where lots of people keep horses, etc. But rats can be virtually anywhere on the West Coast. We likely had them last year, as did many people around here.

This Summer, we had the trees and large bushes around the house trimmed back quite a bit so that the rats could not get in. The summer is best, because your roof gets way too hot to sustain a rat or most mammals. They leave or die. So it's safe to assume in our hot summer, that your roof is free of pests and they are hiding elsewhere in the neighborhood. When the cooler weather comes, so do the rats. Rats are very good at jumping, so you are best to have your vegetation cut back 4 or more inches from the house. We went for 18" or more. If a rat can jump onto your roof, or get high enough to climb into an exposed gap (in siding, or especially roofing) they will get in. So it's all about preventing access. If they are in the roof, they can get anywhere, especially in older houses.

Believe it or not, no new signs of them this year.

But rodents in a car (like a Tesla) are likely coming from the garage or outside.

Curious if you park outside or if your garage is open or is an old garage with areas for mice to get in.

Rodents can get in very small openings - as they can really squeeze virtually anywhere if they want to. Lots of rodents can even enter your house as you open your door. They are so fast that they are often not seen. Or, more often than not they can squeeze under doors if not fitted correctly.

Best for our cars to keep all vents to the outside closed when not needed. Even better is to leave no signs of food or anything that a rodent can smell as food (like greasy pizza boxes leaving residue in the frunk).

Rodents can get in very small openings - as they can really squeeze virtually anywhere if they want to. Lots of rodents can even enter your house as you open your door. They are so fast that they are often not seen. Or, more often than not they can squeeze under doors if not fitted correctly.

Best for our cars to keep all vents to the outside closed when not needed. Even better is to leave no signs of food or anything that a rodent can smell as food (like greasy pizza boxes leaving residue in the frunk).
yes, I'm aware of that, just trying to understand if most of the people having this issue are parking outside or in an open garage.