Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving Seats Back in 5 Seater Config

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, I am losing out on the $7,500 tax credit. Would finance or Buy right away if I could. But as long as I buy the car within 3 years, I don’t have to worry about the mileage overage. If I was going to be returning the vehicle after 3 years, then yes I would either do the 12.5K or 15K Mileage Option. But there’s no point in me paying more monthly when I’m going to buy out the car. The residual value of the car is $1,000 more for the 10K Option which I’m doing, over the 15K Option. So I’m just paying an extra $1,000. But I’m lowering my Monthly by like $80/month I believe.

Roger that. Just looked at a typical lease doc, and it looks like the credit decreases the payments (by getting added to residual), but the actual residual is unaffected, which makes sense, I had heard other things...

And just looked at kilocar car which you recommended. And looks interesting, but I’m already getting some reimbursement in my Tesla paycheck for the lease. So I’m already getting great deal.

You work for Tesla?

There is a guy on TMC that did this btw (an older model with electric second row):

Going with 4 seats - no second row

4-seater-jpg.217764

Awesome! Thanks Anxiety for the tip. Yes that’s pretty close to what i want to do. Would want them to also fold down of course.

And do see some potential room for some folding seats on the side.

But read through the thread, that these sacrifice some comfort. More leg room, but the width would be tighter.

Maybe add some pop out chases for the chairs to take advantage of that leg room, and increase comfort.

@CarsonGallo That third-row in the "four seat" folds down of course as it is the original Tesla third-row (they all fold) the car came with. In that case the second row was removed...

Yeah, Tesla third row is pretty snug. It is a bit wider nowadays - those side panels in the trunk have changed to slightly wider ones... (They are the same in current 5/6/7 seater I believe.)

Reactions: CarsonGallo
Very good @AnxietyRanger

Came up with a few more interesting scenarios as well. But in conclusion let me round them up.

#1- Taking second row of 3 Seats, and pushing them further back. Located where 3rd row would be. 5 Total Seats.

#2 - Taking second row of 2 Seats and pushing them back where 3rd would be. Toss extra single chair. Total 4 Seats.

#3 - Taking second row single seat, and moving it back to where 3rd row would be, and Center it. Take 2seater in 2nd Row, and move it over and Center it. Total - 5 Seats.

#4 - Taking second row of single seat, and toss it. Take 2seater in 2nd row, and Center it in 2nd Row. Would free up space on the side. Enough to have 3 Seater Limo Style Seats in 3rd row. One centered up against trunk, and then 1 on each side, curved from Center seat. Total 7 Seats.

#5 - Same as 4, adding Limo Seats in Back and side. But leave 3 seats in second row alone. Total 8 Seats!

#6 - Remove Single Seat in Second Row and Toss it. Leave 2Seater in Second Row where it is, don’t move. Then add 2 Limo Style Seats. 1 Centered and lined up with Trunk, and second side seat curving on same side as single Seat was removed. A lot more space on that side, because of removed seat, and fact that i didn’t move over and Center 2 Seater in 2nd Row. Total 6 Seats.

#7 - Same as scenario 6, with removing single Seater, but have 3rd Limo Seat. One on both sides still. Total 7 Seats.

I’ll upload some rough Top down sketches tomorrow, to give a better visual idea.

So far I like Scenario #3 to do Almost right away when I get car. Just moving existing seats. Not buying anything new. Would keep 2nd Row Seats that are centered, folded down normally. And would have just one seat active in the back. And when I need room for another passenger just bring up those 2 Centered Seats. But down the road when I get enough money, leaning towards Scenario #4 or #5. 8! Seats would be interesting.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I think those are actual better ideas, then tossing my existing Seats, and then tracking down 3rd Seat from 7 Seat Config, and purchasing that. Just utilize the existing seats I have. And just keep them folded and out of the way, during normal usage. To still have that good amount of leg room I want. But there still there, if and when I need them.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Idea #1: won’t fit and requires intense structural changes

#2: won’t fit and you can’t “toss a single seat” from the second row and requires intense structural changes

#3: see above and requires intense structural changes. Will just stop pointing out the intense structural changes needed to mount sears safely. You cant just bolt a seat down anywhere you like and expect it to be even slightly safe. All seats have significant structural engineering (which is why you can’t just “toss a single seat”) as do the spots on the floor where they are mounted.

#4: all of the above and there’s no headroom or width to do what you’re talking about

#5: same as above and again no space. You are imagining the space back there is like a van or that people are only 3ft tall

#6: same as above

#7: same as above

Go to a Showroom and take some actual measurements. I suspect you’ve never actually seen the car in person. Also, you are making assumptions about how parts in a car can be moved around and secured that are extremely dangerous. Most of your ideas are not possible to begin with and even if they were you are at extreme liability when inevitable injuries or death take place during an accident.

Idea #1: won’t fit and requires intense structural changes

#2: won’t fit and you can’t “toss a single seat” from the second row and requires intense structural changes

#3: see above and requires intense structural changes. Will just stop pointing out the intense structural changes needed to mount sears safely. You cant just bolt a seat down anywhere you like and expect it to be even slightly safe. All seats have significant structural engineering (which is why you can’t just “toss a single seat”) as do the spots on the floor where they are mounted.

#4: all of the above and there’s no headroom or width to do what you’re talking about

#5: same as above and again no space. You are imagining the space back there is like a van or that people are only 3ft tall

#6: same as above

#7: same as above

Go to a Showroom and take some actual measurements. I suspect you’ve never actually seen the car in person. Also, you are making assumptions about how parts in a car can be moved around and secured that are extremely dangerous. Most of your ideas are not possible to begin with and even if they were you are at extreme liability when inevitable injuries or death take place during an accident.
#1 - Yeah might not fit, but as for structural changes, I've seen seats removed, moved and installed all the same. As you you can see in earlier post, somebody removed the second row of there third row Model X.

#2 - I dont see why it wouldn't fit. Should be about same width at 2 seater in 3rd Row Model X. And also same as above, somebody removed 3 Seats from there 7 Seater.

#3 - Like I said, I've seen seats moved and replaced in different places all the time. Is there something special about the way Tesla installs and supports the seats.

#4 - Center seat should be fine, would have to take closer look at the headroom on the sides.

#5 - Center seat should be fine, would have to take closer look at the headroom on the sides.

#6 - Center seat should be fine, would have to take closer look at the headroom on the sides.

#7 - Center seat should be fine, would have to take closer look at the headroom on the sides.

I am going to showroom within a few days. I've been in Model X's quite a few times. Last time, was about 8 Months ago, so maybe I am picturing it, a little bit bigger in my mind. And yes, there are concerns of safety, which I will get around to talking to my collegues in The EV Division, before going through with any radical changes.

Standby for some rough top down sketches in the meanwhile.

Forget about your ideas, you cannot change anything already for safety reasons. Then, second row is only one bench, you cann't split it and the third row space is really narrow (no space for the bench or limo seats)

The only option would be the one of the French guy, buy the 7 seater and remove the middle one. You also have to fake the connection to avoid fault reporting for airbag and seat-heater.

Please show an example of seats moved. Not removed but moved.

Also, try your ideas by drawing to scale. All the dimensions you need to determine feasibility are available online.

Dreaming big is great but if you’re not going to bother with doing basic homework, then you’re just wasting time.

Last edited:
Ventilation is completely fine in a 5 seater. Heated air at standard temp will melt trunk window snow whether driving or parked in camper mode. And sans the heated element.

I believe the issues are from summer-time and AC sufficiency in the back:

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

Plenty of messages like this were discussed last year:

I can tell you from experience that the 5 seater A/C IS NOT ADEQUATE. They have asked me to do a work around being pre-cool the vehicle before you get in. But that only helps for the start of a drive. The airflow out of the back vents is anemic. I would recommend that you DO NOT BUY a 5 seater for this reason alone as the A/C can not keep the real passengers cool.

The concensus was rear airflow can be improved through closing vent(s) in the front.

Forget about your ideas, you cannot change anything already for safety reasons. Then, second row is only one bench, you cann't split it and the third row space is really narrow (no space for the bench or limo seats)

The only option would be the one of the French guy, buy the 7 seater and remove the middle one. You also have to fake the connection to avoid fault reporting for airbag and seat-heater.

Well, I think he could take the car to some coach builder company and have something custom made at least.

Reactions: CarsonGallo