Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP Tips - 3 ways to improve your Tesla's efficiency!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
For a while, we’ve been fighting with efficiency loss on our Model 3, and one observation I made was that the rear rotors were quite hot after a drive even when only using regen. So we replaced the calipers and brake pads, and even changed a wheel bearing to attempt to identify and fix the issue. There were a few things wrong – the OEM caliper spring clips had broken a while ago during a pad change, we were using some prototype pads that were far too large and so they didn’t slide freely, and the caliper itself was a little bit sticky. With those changes, we found a huge amount of efficiency as you’ll see in the video below. The video also notes some other ways you can check up on your car to make sure as many electrons are going towards powering motion as possible, and not to heat! Oh and Jesse does great in front of the camera, doesn’t he?

Hopefully that helps some of you out, especially those that have overheated brakes on the track, or are using brake pads that maybe don’t fit quite as they should and are resulting in significant brake drag!

I've also had lots of rear brake drag on my aftermarket pads due to the lack of spring clips holding them off the rotor. I ordered OEM "track package" pads from Tesla service about a week ago to hopefully have slightly better thermal properties vs. stock while still retaining those goofy spring clips. I think it will be a compromise, but still better than the constant brake dust and ~30wh/mi drag penalty I've been seeing.

Reactions: MountainPass
I've also had lots of rear brake drag on my aftermarket pads due to the lack of spring clips holding them off the rotor. I ordered OEM "track package" pads from Tesla service about a week ago to hopefully have slightly better thermal properties vs. stock while still retaining those goofy spring clips. I think it will be a compromise, but still better than the constant brake dust and ~30wh/mi drag penalty I've been seeing.
If the trackpads also squeak as they drag it is extra embarrassing.

Reactions: FlyNavy01

Use CRC Disk Brake Quiet as a glue for rear outboard pads without OEM clip. Works great.