Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MR White Interior Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like only one MR white interior delivery has been reported on that spreadsheet so far VIN 151xxx

I have to believe that he's receiving one of the first few test vehicles they produced shortly after announcing the MR. Says nothing about when they'll start batching the rest of the white interiors, as it's been weeks since he received his VIN.

What's maddening is that he ordered the same exact build as me on the same date, and is just two states below me on the map. Lucky SOB!

White interior is probably being prioritized for higher margin cars like P and AWD.

Then why start offering it when they unveiled the MR? They have to have some idea how many they can source by the end of the year?

The great thing about having the tracking spreadsheet is we don't have to speculate.

The overall take rate for white interiors among AWD/P orders is 22.8%. Among RWD orders since they opened it up as an option to them on 10/18, it's a 20.7% take rate.

According to the spreadsheet, 16,370 total AWD versions were ordered in October, but it's estimating only 8,830 AWD for November, with 9,342 RWD (entirely MR at this point). So assuming those take rates are pretty stable, here are the number of white interiors they needed for cars produced each month:

October
AWD: 16,370 * 22.8% = 3,732
RWD: 0
Total: 3,732 white interiors produced

November
AWD: 8,830 * 22.8% = 2,013
RWD: 9,342 * 20.7% = 1934
Total: 3,947 white interiors produced

So that's just a 5.76% increase in total white interiors needed month over month, or 215 cars.

I'm assuming that it's batching to streamline production (similar to how they batch exterior paint colors for efficiency) that is the main reason. Would just be nice to have started seeing some movement on it this week, or to get some kind of confirmation when production is planned to start.

Then why start offering it when they unveiled the MR? They have to have some idea how many they can source by the end of the year?

The great thing about having the tracking spreadsheet is we don't have to speculate.

The overall take rate for white interiors among AWD/P orders is 22.8%. Among RWD orders since they opened it up as an option to them on 10/18, it's a 20.7% take rate.

According to the spreadsheet, 16,370 total AWD versions were ordered in October, but it's estimating only 8,830 AWD for November, with 9,342 RWD (entirely MR at this point). So assuming those take rates are pretty stable, here are the number of white interiors they needed for cars produced each month:

October
AWD: 16,370 * 22.8% = 3,732
RWD: 0
Total: 3,732 white interiors produced

November
AWD: 8,830 * 22.8% = 2,013
RWD: 9,342 * 20.7% = 1934
Total: 3,947 white interiors produced

So that's just a 5.76% increase in total white interiors needed month over month, or 215 cars.

I'm assuming that it's batching to streamline production (similar to how they batch exterior paint colors for efficiency) that is the main reason. Would just be nice to have started seeing some movement on it this week, or to get some kind of confirmation when production is planned to start.

I'm just offering a reason for what is happening, not trying to justify it.

AWD is a $5,000 option, and probably costs Tesla less than $2,000 for the additional parts, installation work and warranty costs... the profit margins are huge. P is even more profitable. MR is probably somewhat less profitable than RWD LR.

Tesla is trying to maximize profitability.

I was actually just looking at the stats for white on the order tracker.

Since 10/18/2018

105 total white interior ordered
67 total MR with white interior ordered

23 white scheduled for delivery
1 MR with white scheduled for delivery

There is a strong bias for white going to higher priced models.

The first MR with white is scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to confirmation but also looking forward to these numbers improving. It's making me nervous.

AWD is a $5,000 option, and probably costs Tesla less than $2,000 for the additional parts, installation work and warranty costs... the profit margins are huge. P is even more profitable. MR is probably somewhat less profitable than RWD LR.

No, yeah, I get where you were coming from. I was just attempting to show you that I don't think it's a choice based on scarcity of materials.

No doubt they would prioritize those higher margin cars if needed (and with good cause), but opening white interiors up for MR and recently promising delivery by year end if ordered by 11/30, and even lowering the price of white interior from $1,500 to $1,000 all point to that not being a choice they have to make between AWD & RWD.

Since 10/18/2018

The first MR with white is scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to confirmation but also looking forward to these numbers improving. It's making me nervous.

How do you know the first MR with white is scheduled for tomorrow? And does that mean scheduled to be produced? Or people will start getting notifications?

You can be damned sure I’ll be asking for free EAP if I don’t take delivery by end of year. They’re still stating December delivery on the site regardless of interior spec.

White interior is probably being prioritized for higher margin cars like P and AWD.
But can't we say that white should be prioritized for MR as it costs more than black? I believe it costs nearly the same to produce black or white (done in house).

i think there were a lot more black interior and Tesla needed to get started on those, before starting a batch of white.

Wouldn't it make sense than to maximize profit (as much as possible) on MR by producing white interior and guaranteeing those? Because they are more expensive, with minor difference in production cost, margins would be higher.

I believe with the 11/30 deadline, they will start to produce white next week (or first week of december).

Reactions: suwaneedad
Wouldn't it make sense than to maximize profit (as much as possible) on MR by producing white interior and guaranteeing those? Because they are more expensive, with minor difference in production cost, margins would be higher.

I believe with the 11/30 deadline, they will start to produce white next week (or first week of december).

Yeah, that makes sense, but it's possible that Tesla can only produce 'x' # of white interiors per week and they are prioritizing them on the higher priced cars right now.

Since 10/18/2018

Seems like you also need to consider how many MRs overall are scheduled for delivery soon, relative to higher priced models, before making conclusions about white interiors being biased toward higher priced models.

Anyway, 12/31 is an eternity from now. MR w white interiors will arrive in time. Just be ready to participate in delivery hell between Christmas and New Years, and be happy if yours presents itself prior to Christmas and you get to avoid the big push.

Seems like you also need to consider how many MRs overall are scheduled for delivery soon, relative to higher priced models, before making conclusions about white interiors being biased toward higher priced models.

Anyway, 12/31 is an eternity from now. MR w white interiors will arrive in time. Just be ready to participate in delivery hell between Christmas and New Years, and be happy if yours presents itself prior to Christmas and you get to avoid the big push.

Sounds good, do you want to take a stab at it and improve upon my findings? I know it’s flawed but the almost complete lack of white on MR deliveries pops out pretty starkly.

Sounds good, do you want to take a stab at it and improve upon my findings? I know it’s flawed but the almost complete lack of white on MR deliveries pops out pretty starkly.
No thanks.
12/31 is so far away I wouldn't bother putting energy into this subject until maybe 12/10 at soonest (12/20 at latest).
Particularly given your western location in AZ.

Yeah, that makes sense, but it's possible that Tesla can only produce 'x' # of white interiors per week and they are prioritizing them on the higher priced cars right now.
Ahhh! Ok. I can see that. I do believe their was some old tweets and info saying that tesla was having a little trouble producing the white interior, however, when they lowered the price from 1500 to 1000, I would think they resolved those issues. If there is still some issues, I guess it makes sense to guarantee higher margins tho.