Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Service Experience Augurs Well for Upcoming M3 Ownership!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Over the two and a half years and 36,000 miles that I’ve enjoyed my S85D, I’ve had virtually no problems. Even so, there have been annual inspections, minor recall notices, LTE and dual charger installations, etc. In all cases, Van Nuys SC has been heroic. Cars picked up, loaners left, etc. A+.

However, like many here, I’ve wondered about the service/support road map as the Model 3 tsunami looms. And, as a member of that wave (my wife is in the first delivery batch), I’ve wondered whether the M3 service experience would match that which we’ve gotten used to with MS, at least here in the LA area.

Circumstances have provided an answer. And, it’s looking good. Last night, my driver’s door handle failed. Roadside Assistance required a little gentle persuasion — no, their first offer of an appointment two days later did not sit well with an owner who had to swim through from the passenger side to open his door. However, they got me a next-morning appointment with VN SC, which was then closed.

In the morning, when I explained that work would make it difficult to stop by, Elizabeth and Sarah from Van Nuys set about arranging a ranger visit. When they couldn’t find anyone with free slots on the Van Nuys team, they contacted a technician from Burbank. And, when he saw that his slate was also full, he agreed to add me in at the end of his day. All of this communicated promptly and enthusiastically to me via voicemail and text.

I was not given the two, three, or four-hour slot so common with cable, satellite, and delivery companies. Instead, I was quoted 4:30 - 5:00. At 4:32, a tidy Tesla van pulled up, and Sarmen piled out. Somewhat to my surprise, the repair required extensive disassembly of the entire door. Yet, Tesla is set up to handle this on-site.

When I talked to Sarmen about this, he said that it was part of a clear mobile-focused strategy, developed in recognition of the impossibility of scaling Service Center size and density fast enough to handle the M3 onslaught. And, when I mentioned the Model 3, he told me about the two weeks he’d spent up in immersive training up at the factory, including QC and final correction work. The final confidence-builder, of course, was that Sarmen had his own M3 reservation (held awaiting AWD availability for local/Mammoth snow trips).

Within an hour, this extensive repair was completed successfully, professionally and with amiable good cheer. What a contrast with my wife’s recent Honda experience. When her 12V battery died under warranty — apparently a surprisingly regular occurrence — she called Honda Roadside Assistance. Help arrived in timely fashion ... but in shockingly scraggly fashion. Not a Honda or dealership employee. Not a tow/garage person and vehicle. But, rather some random independent guy, kind of like an Uber but without the tidy driver, tidy car part. A somewhat scary guy in a beater vehicle. Didn’t know much about cars or batteries but did have a small mobile jumper battery in tow. Pleasant enough, I suppose, but clueless. Not completely thrilled to have him know the way to our home.

So, over-and-above response from highly-trained, highly-professional folks, with astonishing on-site repair capabilities ... apparently soon to be housed in customized Teslas ... all at no cost and with a big smile. Now, that’s something to treasure!

That’s why we love our 85D. That’s why we’re considering moving to a 100D. And, that’s why we’re thrilled with our impending Model 3 delivery.

As with Apple, when you pay more with Tesla, you get more. Worth every penny.

Keep it coming, Tesla !

We'll see if they can follow through on it. Service actually worries me a lot less than bodyshop work… most people with an S or an X either have a second car or can afford to be without their car for six months while it's being fixed. Lots of people buying a Model 3 will not have that same flexibility and Tesla is need to get their *sugar* in gear to make sure that adequate parts are available for repairs.

Reactions: JenniferQ
We'll see if they can follow through on it. Service actually worries me a lot less than bodyshop work… most people with an S or an X either have a second car or can afford to be without their car for six months while it's being fixed. Lots of people buying a Model 3 will not have that same flexibility and Tesla is need to get their *sugar* in gear to make sure that adequate parts are available for repairs.
If you get into an accident, you can always rent a car during the repair. The insurance should cover the expenses.

If you get into an accident, you can always rent a car during the repair. The insurance should cover the expenses.

I imagine many insurance policies have exceptions to excessively long repairs and needing to reimburse for rentals.

The only Model 3 owner I know (P85D in Honolulu) had his car in the shop for six months when he got rear ended at a red light. He just drove his BMW X5M the entire time Tesla and the body shop had his car.

Another over 2-4 weeks for bodyshop repair is excessive and six months is just ridiculous.

Especially when parts are prioritized for new M3s. That’s been worrying me, too ...

Was the handle problem the infamous broken wire?
Robin

A broken gear.

New unit failed today, too. However, they took it in no worries and handed me an MS loaner instantly.

What I could see yesterday is that the MS door is complex, requiring dexterous, time-consuming fit tweaking.

Apparently, the M3 handle, and other M3 systems, are significantly simpler. Tesla’s learning from their pain points, and it seems that they have designed a sensibly-simple (high-)mass-market car.