Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS with coils: Another thread in search of a solution...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My yardstick is a 328i E93 BMW. It had the sport suspension and it was an absolute joy to drive it on twisty roads. Also, didn't make my wife sick at all. Our MS75 is okay on twisty roads considering its size and weight, but it does make wifey sick every time. I think it's a little more body roll than I'd like to have. It could also drop an inch in height.
You're trying to compare apples an oranges, contrary to what some believe the tesla in not a sports car, it is a very fast sedan.

AFAIK Tesla's Air suspension does not work like say Audi's Magnetic ride. Magnetic ride Firms or softens the suspension depending on dynamic driving conditions and settings while Tesla's is more designed around lowering/raising the car for clearance purposes.

I am surprised that there aren't after-market stiffer coils for a "racing" spec Model S. Heck the S would make a terrific track car with a few adjustments other than the weight aspect.

I exchanged emails with Jon at Tsportline this afternoon. They may not have had enough demand for the Model S lowering springs to inventory them BUT Jon is willing to reorder them for a group buy if we can come up with 8 individuals who would like a set of springs. The springs lower the car about 1" bringing the ride height inline with 'Standard' height of the SMS (perhaps a hair lower). Below is a link to the springs on their website but I'll also include their description here as well. Price would be $499 which includes shipping.

From TSportline website:
"Our Model S Lowering Springs improve the ride quality of the Tesla Model S by lowering the ride height by approximately 1″ (25.4mm) and improves handling for spirited enthusiasts and style minded drivers. Our Model S Lowering Springs are for Model S owners without the “Smart Air Suspension” option.

Application: 70, 75, 85, P85, P85+, 90.

Our lowering springs are incompatible with 60D, 70D, 75D, 85D and 90D."

Link: Tesla Model S Lowering Springs

I'll post a new thread in the Model S Driving Dynamics section to see if I can drum up enough interest.

For what it is worth..... I know someone who is in the middle of converting there MS with coils to airbags. They purchased OEM airbag/shocks from a salvage yard (as there are a dime a dozen these days). Then they bought this kit from ridetech

Home :: Products :: Control Systems :: Airpod Control Systems :: 3 Gallon AirPod with RidePro-X Control System

You can control it with your phone. Obvious this solution is not for everyone.

You're trying to compare apples an oranges, contrary to what some believe the tesla in not a sports car, it is a very fast sedan.

GOPUCK's Tesla MS who won pikes peak in 2016 and set a world record for "PRODUCTION EV CLASS" has/had stock air suspension. Pretty good for a sedan that is not considered a "sports car" =P

I exchanged emails with Jon at Tsportline this afternoon. They may not have had enough demand for the Model S lowering springs to inventory them BUT Jon is willing to reorder them for a group buy if we can come up with 8 individuals who would like a set of springs. The springs lower the car about 1" bringing the ride height inline with 'Standard' height of the SMS (perhaps a hair lower). Below is a link to the springs on their website but I'll also include their description here as well. Price would be $499 which includes shipping.

From TSportline website:
"Our Model S Lowering Springs improve the ride quality of the Tesla Model S by lowering the ride height by approximately 1″ (25.4mm) and improves handling for spirited enthusiasts and style minded drivers. Our Model S Lowering Springs are for Model S owners without the “Smart Air Suspension” option.

Application: 70, 75, 85, P85, P85+, 90.

Our lowering springs are incompatible with 60D, 70D, 75D, 85D and 90D."

Link: Tesla Model S Lowering Springs

I'll post a new thread in the Model S Driving Dynamics section to see if I can drum up enough interest.

BTW, Count me in! Hopefully we get 6 more people. Perhaps rename the thread: GROUP BUY Model S Lowering Springs (Coil only, NOT Smart Air Suspension)

So just completing my first month of Model S ownership (2017 100D) :) I'll do a little more comprehensive review later, but this thread is interesting to me because I also would like a little more sportiness out of the stock coil suspension. I'm not totally dissatisfied with the stock suspension and its actually better than I was expecting, but I would like a bit better roll control and overall firmness.

I'd like people to be aware, however, of installing springs that have not been tuned to the valving of the dampers (and the rest of the car). They'll look great, but performance can be worse than before. I did just this on a 2015 BMW M3 - I wanted the body just a little lower than stock and ordered new springs from a major oem/aftermarket suspension manufacturer. After installing, the car looked awesome and the everyday ride was good, but track performance suffered and I went back to stock just before selling that car.

I know we ("we" being those who want more suspension options) are few in number and that makes us not so appealing for a manufacturer to custom design a suspension solution, but I see three options.

1) set of lowering springs for those who want looks at the potential expense of ride quality
2) springs + matched non-adjustable damper package (would be either firm, medium or soft depending on options) + matching anti-roll bar
3) springs + adjustable damper package (could adjust between soft and firm on the damper itself) + anti-roll bar options

I'd personally love to find or build #3. I think its just a matter of getting the current part numbers to spec the current dampers, springs & ARB, map those parts to what ohlins, bilstein, mcs, etc have in stock as replacements, then trial and error til we find what works.

I'm no suspension engineer so I'm open to other alternatives and suggestions. I have done a lot of track time, however, with both adjustable and non-adjustable suspensions and hopefully we can get testing some alternatives shortly.

I saw a few posts here at some point where folks were indicating that the coil cars have gotten lower in the later models. You might investigate if there's multiple part numbers from Tesla. Maybe you can retrofit if there are options.
I can confirm that. My 2016 S85D is probably an inch lower than my previous 2013 S85. I need all my driver skills to get it out of the garage at work without scratching the bottom, whereas my former S85 had no problems with that (and no, I didn't gain that much weight in the meanwhile :). Anyone know if you could actually give coils more ground clearance?

I've seriously considered selling and replacing it with a car with SAS. While my P85 was in for service last week I was given a 75D loaner with SAS and found the handling a bit disconnected but the loaner was vastly more comfortable cruising down the freeway. I guess that was probably a combination of the smart air and the much improved current generation seats. Except in the case of the BMW suspension, there's usually compromise but the Tesla coil setup just seems so unrefined. I'm on the fence as to whether I prefer the more direct feel of the coils or the more comfortable but more numb feeling of Air. Just so hard to believe there are no aftermarket options without enduring the expense of going full one-off custom. At this point I'd be much happier if I could just drop it 1" with lowering springs but now that Tsportline discontinued their lowering springs I can't even do that. Argh.
Have you tried the "+" suspension? It was available on the P85+ and for a limited time on the P85D (there was no + designation because it was standard on all P85D's made through April 2015 IIRC - I was told mine was one of the last ones off the line with it). Personally my preference in order is "+", coil, air.

... in the case of the BMW suspension, there's usually compromise but the Tesla coil setup just seems so unrefined.

Agreed. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the battery pack being heavy and low that necessitates the rough coils - I really don't know. Magic cars like the BMW E39 5 series are really hard to beat for their combination of comfort and handling.

So just completing my first month of Model S ownership (2017 100D) :) ..... but I would like a bit better roll control and overall firmness.

I'd like people to be aware, however, of installing springs that have not been tuned to the valving of the dampers (and the rest of the car). They'll look great, but performance can be worse than before. I did just this on a 2015 BMW M3 - I wanted the body just a little lower than stock and ordered new springs from a major oem/aftermarket suspension manufacturer. After installing, the car looked awesome and the everyday ride was good, but track performance suffered and I went back to stock just before selling that car.

I know we ("we" being those who want more suspension options) are few in number and that makes us not so appealing for a manufacturer to custom design a suspension solution, but I see three options.

1) set of lowering springs for those who want looks at the potential expense of ride quality
2) springs + matched non-adjustable damper package (would be either firm, medium or soft depending on options) + matching anti-roll bar
3) springs + adjustable damper package (could adjust between soft and firm on the damper itself) + anti-roll bar options

I'd personally love to find or build #3. I think its just a matter of getting the current part numbers to spec the current dampers, springs & ARB, map those parts to what ohlins, bilstein, mcs, etc have in stock as replacements, then trial and error til we find what works.

I'm no suspension engineer so I'm open to other alternatives and suggestions. I have done a lot of track time, however, with both adjustable and non-adjustable suspensions and hopefully we can get testing some alternatives shortly.
Congrats on the 100D! I’d be interested in option 3 as well but have no idea the cost associated with this. I think Unplugged Performance may be working on something for Model S.