Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud on the Door Sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right here...
attachment.php?attachmentid=1400&d=1297570222.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=1401&d=1297570235.jpg

Attachments

• rocks2.jpg
    rocks2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 761
  • rocks3.jpg
    rocks3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
Thanks TEG, I thought so that it's there, but I can't seem to understand exactly. Is the picture from mpt with the doors open? So while you're driving the stones hit this part from up under the door?

Yes, the door was open and the stones are thrown from the front wheel into the sill under the door with such force that they often make it all the way up to the door handle!

After this years bad weather I plan to get it re-painted and the 3M stuff applied.

Yes. I have seen it happen first hand when driving over gravel. (Not me driving though.)
The shape of the gap under the doors allows road debris tossed up by the front wheels to pelt that part of the body.

Wow, didn't think that was even possible. What an odd thing. Do you know if it's the same with the Lotus? The door itself is not affected by the paint loss?
And, last question: Are there differences between the colors? I would think a premium color may be more resistent, if I remember well a sales manager told me that. But he recommended a paint armor as well and said they won't do it anymore by themselves.

Significant problem with rocks and grime

I too would like to see some type of solution as the rocks from the road are really a problem in the area under the doors. It looks like a larger mud guard would fix the problem. I will try to experiment to see if I can find an option as I am worried this is damaging an otherwise great paint job on the car.

I agree with your idea here dhrivnak...it's actually worse in the winter... that area ends up with a thick coating of semi-frozen slush...it is very tough to exit the vehicle without getting this slush on your pants...:frown:

I too would like to see some type of solution as the rocks from the road are really a problem in the area under the doors. It looks like a larger mud guard would fix the problem. I will try to experiment to see if I can find an option as I am worried this is damaging an otherwise great paint job on the car.

mud

I wish it were just outside. I have inch-thick mud inside my car, on the door sills, sucked in by airflow. The last mile to my house is dirt when dry, mud when wet.
My black car is known locally as the tan Tesla. Outside and in. Love it, though.

I have to admit, this is close to the worst thing about the car. Even forgetting potential paint chipping, getting my wife's clothes dirty getting out of a car that was clean when she got into it is really, well, unacceptable.

I did some browsing on the Lotus forums. Here's one fellow's solution,:

37010d1158899997-larger-mud-flaps-mudflap-003-small-.jpg

Another Elise owner got some mud flaps fromO'Reilly Auto Parts of all places:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/larger-mud-flaps-28352/index2.html#post975076

IMG_3477.jpg

There was talk earlier in this thread about Tesla maybe doing something. I'm guessing nothing came of that.

Last edited:
Are there differences between the colors? I would think a premium color may be more resistent, if I remember well a sales manager told me that. But he recommended a paint armor as well and said they won't do it anymore by themselves.
As far as I can tell, there is no reason to believe that Premium Colors are anything more than standard paints. All automotive paints are finished with a clear coat, aren't they? I think perhaps this is another example of a Tesla sales person who doesn't understand the technical details selling something they assume to be true.

By the way, I have a fix for the problem, but I have not washed my car since installation, nor have I driven in any wet conditions. I'll have to wait and see how well it does before I can deliver a full report.

... and I have a Premium color, so it doesn't seem to be a solution in itself.

Last edited:
Bigger Mud Guards

I found some generic mudflaps at Advanced Auto for $10 and found a way to attach them to the existing front mud guards. I did need to trim a bit with the coping saw. They can be easily removed and some black silicone sealer should fill the 4 small screw holes I used to attach to the existing mudguards. They seem to help, but I am not sure they fully eliminate the problem. But they were not that expensive and not that noticeable. The Ranger thought they were an older version until I showed what I did.
Tesla_Mudguard (3).JPG
Tesla_Mudguard (2).JPG
Tesla_Mudguard (4).JPG

Last edited: