Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I've tried the water test again and there is still a small leak - drips this time but actually no better than when I "fixed" it at the weekend and before I travelled to the SC yesterday. Not at all amused. I'm not sure what to do now to be honest. Apparently the connector concerned is not below the leak in my car and hadn't been damaged. They bunged some "paste" on it just in case and said all should be fine. They didn't have the new waterproof connector to fit - they'd run out but didn't actually tell me before I travelled. Makes me wonder whether they've actually bodged mine thinking through it again.

The sealing work they did clearly didn't do much at all.

So the bottom line is that there is still a small leak, I don't have the upgraded connector, but it "might" be OK. I think I need to re-book and go through it all again. I intended to take a bottle of water with me and test at the service centre but I didn't - more fool me :(:mad: FFS....

I guess the problem is without an actual cowl fix or something else that they know about via a TSB then you're going to be turning up and expecting them to do what exactly? They can't exactly stop a leak any better than you can with the same tools (e.g. sealant, etc). Not that you should have to deal with it of course, but still...

I guess the problem is without an actual cowl fix or something else that they know about via a TSB then you're going to be turning up and expecting them to do what exactly? They can't exactly stop a leak any better than you can with the same tools (e.g. sealant, etc). Not that you should have to deal with it of course, but still...
I would be expecting them to fix a leaking car. They obviously didn't sort it yesterday, particularly given that I had to re-seat a small section after I looked again a few hours ago. And yes, absolutely I shouldn't have to deal with it - even if I was experienced in ripping bits off it and then re-assembling, it wouldn't be a good idea given warranty issues etc. I'll try a different service centre maybe

I'm sat at the Stockport service centre. Came in to let a tech listen to a creak. Diagnosed as an issue with the anti roll bar - something to do with a bush - which they are fixing right away. And while they have it they're swapping the water affected parts of the wiring loom.

That's bushes for you! I can't count the number of creaky bushes I've had over the years! Great that you are getting wet/loom fix too .. very reassuring.

Thank you everyone who have contributed to this thread. I'd me completely oblivious of this serious problem if it was not for you.

Investigated my poorly fitting cowl today (no problems yet, but VIN 448xxx in danger range). With frunk open, windscreen wipers in service mode and battery cover removed the gap between windscreen and cowl was easy to see (see photo). The cowl top edge has a vertical protruding edge that slots into a horizontal channel that is attached to the windscreen rubber edging. That channel had filled with bits of crud, took a while to clear it out. Then I was able to push the cowl edge down into the channel, with one hand underneath pushing up on the channel, working from the drivers side. Time will tell if it holds, but seems watertight for the moment.
Underneath the leak area is an electrical plug (see photo).

Is that the plug that Tesla checks?
Or does the water run down that cable and cause damage to a plug lower down?
Is there a section of loom that gets replaced?
Is the plug just cut off and the wires stripped and new pins crimped on for new waterproof plug?

All thought welcome.

Leak onto plug.png

Thank you everyone who have contributed to this thread. I'd me completely oblivious of this serious problem if it was not for you.

Investigated my poorly fitting cowl today (no problems yet, but VIN 448xxx in danger range). With frunk open, windscreen wipers in service mode and battery cover removed the gap between windscreen and cowl was easy to see (see photo). The cowl top edge has a vertical protruding edge that slots into a horizontal channel that is attached to the windscreen rubber edging. That channel had filled with bits of crud, took a while to clear it out. Then I was able to push the cowl edge down into the channel, with one hand underneath pushing up on the channel, working from the drivers side. Time will tell if it holds, but seems watertight for the moment.

Is the plug just cut off and the wires stripped and new pins crimped on for new waterproof plug?

All thought welcome.

View attachment 518794
Well your photograph certainly illustrates the problem and I reckon it's pretty widespread. Exactly the same place as mine.

Lots of owners won't be on these forums and are likely oblivious until the warnings pop up. Fingers crossed you've managed to seat the cowl in the seal.

Ref the plug, I'm not sure to be honest but I have a feeling it's further down. They said mine wasn't damaged and didn't replace it, just added some "dielectric" paste to help in case of future issues. However, he did mention that they'd run out of the new connector so it could well be a bodge. Time will tell. I'd explain what you found to service and then book it in to get checked. They are definitely aware of the issue! I still have a small leak (drips) so I'm still in two minds what to do next.

Are you getting the multiple on screen warnings or purely a steering assistance warning? Is your cowl at the bottom edge of the windscreen fitted well or can you see gaps?

Most of the time multiple warnings, it fluctuates quite a lot. Regarding the cowl, no visible gaps but there is water getting through (seems like it is only slightly misaligned. Cant pop it back in though)

All thought welcome.

View attachment 518794
Glad you got it fixed. The secret certainly seems to be to push the plastic panel up towards the windscreen then down into the channel. I managed to pop the electrical connector off and wrap it in tape. Never herd of dielectric paste, I could have used that instead of getting grazed to bits. Gonna have a look for this paste and may go a bit crazy with it. Can’t do any harm.
Did you test your fix with water?
Dave

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
However, he did mention that they'd run out of the new connector so it could well be a bodge. Time will tell. I'd explain what you found to service and then book it in to get checked.

Yes, I'll make an appointment for them to check it now. Sounds like it is just the plug they change. As you can see in the pictures below that plug cable feeds into a very chunky part of the wiring loom.

That looks like it's a connector in the cable coming from the battery terminal?

No, It's to the side of the battery cable, see photos below.

Did you test your fix with water?

So far so good. See photo below. But I have not driven yet. Maybe chassis flexing / vibration will cause it to pop out. Time will tell.

Cable from wet plug down.png
Cable into main harness.png
Leak testing.png

I've seen a couple of posts now with people visiting the SC for unrelated issues and having the loom replaced while it's in. With it being referred to as a recall on that part. If that is the case then it should be logged against the car and clearly visible on the Tesla system that there's work that needs carrying out. I understand the use of dielectric grease if they've run out of replacement looms but it should then be booked in, like having a temporary filling in your tooth.

replacement looms

There have been quite a few comments about replacement looms, and few comments about replacement plugs. As the plug that gets wet feeds into a rather large wiring harness I can not imagine that whole wiring harness is replaced. My money is on a cleanup and replacement of the plug that gets wet. It would be good to have this clarified if anybody here goes to the service centre with this issue.

Reactions: offpat
There have been quite a few comments about replacement looms, and few comments about replacement plugs. As the plug that gets wet feeds into a rather large wiring harness I can not imagine that whole wiring harness is replaced. My money is on a cleanup and replacement of the plug that gets wet. It would be good to have this clarified if anybody here goes to the service centre with this issue.

Indeed, the "loom" is a very significant and complex wiring matrix that runs around the car. There is no way anyone has had the entire loom replaced. However, there are sometimes subsections that are clipped in to attach to the main loom so it's possible there is a section replaced. However, I agree that it is most likely to just refer to a dried out or replaced connector. My own repair was described thus: "Found wiring fault under frunk. Carried out repair to wiring fault. Carried out test drive. All OK on test." Not even any mention of water ingress even though that was clearly the cause.

Car received back all working next day.

Am putting the whole episode down to "early adopter" terrain, although of course it has been on the market for 3 years.

In 5 years all the major brands will have comparable hardware tech, most will have better build quality, maybe Tesla will have the edge on software performance due to depth of experience but, the most important buying factor, emotional attachment?? I've just lost it, and it feels like few Tesla employees have it, although I have interacted with just 6/7 based in London and Holland.

Okay an update with my car. I took it to West Drayton Service Centre because I *thought* I had an appointment (turns out I hadn't, my appointment had moved to April without my knowledge) but they took it in.

Today I got a text saying that they are replacing the steering rack which will arrive on the 20th :eek:.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andywil

All thought welcome.

View attachment 518794

Old man rambling here maybe - but I was wondering if anyone who had this set of warnings appear and assumed it was damp penetration of this electrical connector...
If - anyone tried giving it the old WD40 treatment?

(for younger folk - many cars back in the 1970s used to get damp plugs/leads and stall and not restart after a splash of water inside the bonnet - spraying with WD40 became the standard way to get them going again, dispelling the water and allowing the electrical functions to return to normal - The early model Mini was especially susceptible)

I imagine that this is not a good long term treatment but could possibly confirm that this was indeed the relevant connector -
(rather than another one that we haven't realised is actually causing the fault.)