Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....I was wondering if anyone who had this set of warnings appear and assumed it was damp penetration of this electrical connector...
If - anyone tried giving it the old WD40 treatment?

The only problem is that once you've sprayed WD40 all over it you've then potentially still got a non-functioning car but now with an oily residue all over the connectors ... which might not be what the Tesla service people are going to react too well to! A bit of extra oil reside under the bonnet of an old Mini is par for the course! If it wasn't a warranty issue I would be definitely having a go with an approach like this (perhaps including a hairdryer in the sequence too)!

Reactions: Roy W. and offpat
The only problem is that once you've sprayed WD40 all over it you've then potentially still got a non-functioning car but now with an oily residue all over the connectors ... which might not be what the Tesla service people are going to react too well to! A bit of extra oil reside under the bonnet of an old Mini is par for the course! If it wasn't a warranty issue I would be definitely having a go with an approach like this (perhaps including a hairdryer in the sequence too)!

yeah - I always remember the law of diminishing returns as well - once you started using WD 40 you ended up needing to use it every bloody day just to get going...- there must be a more advanced damp repellent by now - and
why are these electrical components left open to water ingress anyway?

Tangentially related but I've washed my car a few times, it's about all I can really do at the moment, and every time I've been quite alarmed at just how much water (and washing suds) gets under the bonnet (and the boot for that matter).

Quite often the grill at the top of the front of the car has got suds in it as well.

I assume there is nothing you can add to the car that would actually stop this happening?

Tangentially related but I've washed my car a few times, it's about all I can really do at the moment, and every time I've been quite alarmed at just how much water (and washing suds) gets under the bonnet (and the boot for that matter).

Quite often the grill at the top of the front of the car has got suds in it as well.

I assume there is nothing you can add to the car that would actually stop this happening?
Have you checked the trim panel is seated properly as described earlier in this thread?

Have you checked the trim panel is seated properly as described earlier in this thread?
The trim panel stops water getting underneath the windscreen I believe, as under there is where the wires are. There is a gap between the bonnet and the windscreen that water can get down and it ends up underneath the bonnet.

I’ll try and get a photo next time I wash the car.

According to Tesla, "the area in the frunk below the windscreen is a designated 'wet area'. The issue is that the suppliers of part of the loom didn't build to spec, so it can cause water to ingress into the loom and settle" or words to that effect.

A bit of chewing gum sorts, or more officially "Correction: Inspect Connector, Apply Dielectric Paste, And Seal CAN Splices"

The trim panel stops water getting underneath the windscreen I believe, as under there is where the wires are. There is a gap between the bonnet and the windscreen that water can get down and it ends up underneath the bonnet.

I’ll try and get a photo next time I wash the car.
Yes that panel should stop water getting behind it and onto the loom near the steering column, but it also channels the water flowing off the windscreen to the sides where it drains away. There's a raised part and a seal to stop any getting into the frunk. If you're seeing suds in the frunk and boot when they've been properly closed, something isnt right.

Not sure if this is useful to anyone but this is the before and after of the loom being adjusted and plug being greased from my m3lr. Sorry it escapes my memory which plug he removed. Pretty sure it was the black one. Took around 15 minutes.

I posted previously in this thread about pressing down the plastic cowl myself so he didn't need to do that however he did state on a previous visit this is something they would have done as part of this work.

From what the tech said: rain water gradually makes its way down to the loom (the wrapped one) entering from under the plastic cowl below the screen when it isn't attached properly and there is a gap. It will sit in the loom and the gradual build up will eventually force it down to the plug. Old plugs are being sealed with grease / sealant, newer plugs have been redesigned to prevent ingress entirely.

the work consisted of roughly:
remove frunk
detach the large section of the loom held with plastic plugs
cut the plastic armour covering that section
visual / touch inspection for water ingress (mine had none)
unplug the black connector (i think)
clear dust in/around connector
apply some sort of grease to the sides of the plug
re insert plug
bind cut loom in some sort of fabric tape
realign thick section of loom against the silver metal braced area
reattach loom plastic plugs
reinstall frunk tray and plastic cover etc

Last edited:
I posted previously in this thread about pressing down the plastic cowl myself so he didn't need to do that however he did state on a previous visit this is something they would have done as part of this work.

From what the tech said: rain water gradually makes its way down to the loom (the wrapped one) entering from under the plastic cowl below the screen when it isn't attached properly and there is a gap. It will sit in the loom and the gradual build up will eventually force it down to the plug. Old plugs are being sealed with grease / sealant, newer plugs have been redesigned to prevent ingress entirely.

When ours got done, I was told that the area was a 'wet area' (like under the bonnet of a normal car) so water is expected to enter this area and the components should have been spec'd to cater for this. He said that water ingress shouldn't matter. Your info about the loom matched mine, although the blame was on the supplier not building to spec. Seeing your photo, looks more like not being assembled to spec.

Our 'fix' was done as part of a routine service visit, although the fix described on the acceptance sheet was more crude than the fix described to us prior to the work being done. I was expecting a whole new section of loom.

Not sure if this is useful to anyone but this is the before and after of the loom being adjusted and plug being greased from my m3lr. Sorry it escapes my memory which plug he removed. Pretty sure it was the black one. Took around 15 minutes.

remove frunk
re insert plug
Not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a plug somewhere behind the superbottle and it's not obvious how water would work down the loom to get to those connectors. They're waterproof connectors for sure, but it could be a problem with the silicone rubber seal where the cable enters the connector. Looks like the cable on the smaller one is straining slightly which could be the reason.

However, if that is the fix and I experience the problem at some time, I think I'll just sort it out myself. Next time I have the frunk out I'll have a close look around there for any sign of moisture.

remove frunk
re insert plug

Thanks @AmPiste, that's the best fix I've seen or heard about. Some previous fixes only seemed to refer to sealing the top electrical plug and reseating the windscreen lower trim. Was it done by a mobile Tesla technician, or Service Centre? What area are you in? I'd like a fix just like that.

When ours got done, I was told that the area was a 'wet area' (like under the bonnet of a normal car) so water is expected to enter this area and the components should have been spec'd to cater for this. He said that water ingress shouldn't matter. Your info about the loom matched mine, although the blame was on the supplier not building to spec. Seeing your photo, looks more like not being assembled to spec.

Our 'fix' was done as part of a routine service visit, although the fix described on the acceptance sheet was more crude than the fix described to us prior to the work being done. I was expecting a whole new section of loom.

The photo isn't representative of the state it was in when the tech arrived. I just managed to squeeze some photos in as he started work. The tech stated the plugs have been redesigned so yes the plug is the issue, outside of this it'd just be conjecture on my behalf.

Not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a plug somewhere behind the superbottle and it's not obvious how water would work down the loom to get to those connectors. They're waterproof connectors for sure, but it could be a problem with the silicone rubber seal where the cable enters the connector. Looks like the cable on the smaller one is straining slightly which could be the reason.

However, if that is the fix and I experience the problem at some time, I think I'll just sort it out myself. Next time I have the frunk out I'll have a close look around there for any sign of moisture.

Yes I was told it's a problem with the connector. Specifics not sure. Tech stated they had been redesigned / changed in future models. The left image is after the tech had moved the loom so isn't representative of what it looked like in situ when the frunk was removed. I was told the design of the plug itself is flawed or poorly manufactured, there didn't appear to be any strain on the connectors in this area.

Certainly possible to do it yourself however I can't remember for 100% which plug was the affected one. I would make sure to cut the section of plastic armouring the loom to check for water. The 'fix' may be handled differently if this already has water ingress.

EDIT: sorry I missed your point about how the water gets there. I was told it works its way in under the cowl and rides down various cables / equipment until it saturates the top (curved) end of the thick vertical part of the loom in the picture. The saturation eventually works its way into the armoured 'tube' of the loom and fails to dry out due to its positioning. Eventually this build up makes its way along the length of the tube exiting at the connector end gripping the wires flowing into the connector (which is poorly designed / manufactured).

Thanks @AmPiste, that's the best fix I've seen or heard about. Some previous fixes only seemed to refer to sealing the top electrical plug and reseating the windscreen lower trim. Was it done by a mobile Tesla technician, or Service Centre? What area are you in? I'd like a fix just like that.

It was done by a mobile tech who attended to resolve other work. Area: midlands and yes the tech who did this is quite good. Doesn't rush, explains everything, professional. Feel lucky to have him as the mobile tech for the area.

Last edited:
If I pour water between my two wiper blades, some of it diverts away but a lot slips through the windscreen seal in to the bay. Doesn’t directly drop on to the plug.

I’ve tried manipulating the seal and tray together And back into place, but the water still gets through.
Worth worrying about?

Tesla service told me that its a 'wet area' (same way that a ICE engine bay is normally a 'wet area', ie you wouldn't want to flood it on a regular basis, but damp, spray, etc isn't an issue) so water ingress should not be a problem - its only an issue because of the design/manufacturing fault.

It is a wet area as the cowl seal is not fully water tight, but if you don't have your cowl clipped in properly it allows water to poor in rather than trickle, and when you've not got a hot ICE drying anything off or any sun then the less water that trickles down the better in my oppinion.
The ranger who came out to fix my wiper hose the other week checked to see if I had the fix (which I did after it killed my car and I was without it for about 4 weeks) so it's clearly a proactive fix that all the older models need to have, but they're not currently recalling anyone, just fixing the issue when they happen to work on the car for something else.
I've not seen may people complain about the issue recently, so either the firmware "fix" that they had prommised was released and people just get a service message now, or most people have now had the loom repaired/relocated.