Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Asks About A Texas Gigafactory: Is It For You, Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you build them in Texas, they would buy them all, and there would be no left over Cybertrucks for the rest of us:(

Seriously, building them close to where your customers

are would stay with the strategy.

Have Sandy Monro build the plant and cars. Put his knowledge to use. He will buy the first one off the line (after Elon).

Sandy would love to move out of miserable Michigan.
You may know, Sandy spends a lot of time in China/Korea/Japan.
And vehicles only a part of the products his company works on.

Sitemap | Munro & Associates, Inc.

You will find time spent exploring the above site very interesting/informative. Time well spent.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
I believe Tesla worked out a deal to sell cars in Nevada as part of the negotiations to locate the Gigafactory in Sparks. I assume they would try to do the same in Texas.

I don't recall the details but maybe @RobStark does ....

Tesla was grandfathered in Nevada when they made the Gigafactory deal.

They allowed car companies without dealers to establish stores within ~6 months of passing the law then prohibited companies from establishing stores from then on. Almost the same law as Washington.

I wish, but I had my hopes dashed for the battery factory that went to Nevada - and I can't blame Tesla, only Texas legislature for not allowing Tesla to sell directly in Texas. Feels like same thing over again...

Oh, I wasn't talking about demand. Texans do buy Tesla vehicles, but not from a Tesla store. And I believe they license out of state and then bring into Texas (check out your local regs. and you may only have to wait 90 days - that was the WA reg. 10 years ago) to bring in as used vehicle.

You'll have to research your local regulations to find loop holes to avoid/lessen taxes.
Have a relative in low/no sales tax state, wait for needed time, and bring into Texas as a used vehicle.
You get the general idea - you'll have to figure out the details on your own.

see this map:
Tesla Direct Sales Map (US)

How is Tesla so popular and almost 1/2 of the states won't allow Tesla Stores or even Service Centers?
Amazing.
No, that’s not how it works. Buy on-line, it’s delivered to your house ASAP (1 week for me). Texas license and sales tax. Quite painless, actually.

Last edited:

Have a quick look at HB617 North Carolina (2017-2018 Session) which attempted to allow LIMITED Tesla Stores/Service Centers.
Only 1 page long - took 3 months April-June 2017 to pass (original URL - or link - see map at the bottom)
https://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/PDF/H617v0.pdf
https://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/PDF/H617v1.pdf

... "specialty motor vehicle" shall mean any model or series of motor vehicle for private use manufactured at least (i) three years prior to the current model year of which no more than 5,000 vehicles were sold within the United States during the model year the vehicle was ...
So Tesla didn't qualify. And then in July 2019 (seem about the time North Carolina approached Tesla??)
North Carolina (6 store limit)
A previous legislative bill that would allow six Tesla stores was shelved in 2017. In July 2019 a bill was passed allowing Tesla to operate a maximum of six stores, unlimited galleries and repair centers.

Tesla Direct Sales Map (US)

Amazing how hard Tesla has to work just to make and sell their vehicles.
Thanks again to the Tesla Team - and the 5th or 6th CEO - Elon Musk. So glad he agreed to take time away from his SpaceX startup and go work as Tesla CEO (and Chairman of the Board until the SEC removed him). I think Elon was in the first 3 rounds of investing in Tesla as a startup - so partially to protect his investments he took the CEO job at Tesla at the request of the Tesla Board.

Find Marc Tarpenning youtube talk about the founding of Tesla Motors - I think he tells the story best.

It makes sense because wherever the steel is being imported from it can come up the gulf, be transported to Boca Chica, then taken up the road to Austin on a Tesla Semi to the Gigafactory for Cybertruck production. This would lower the cost of production significantly.

First Elon and Tesla killed the shorters. Next they are going after the Dealer Associations.

Politicians in Texas will have to explain to voters why they choose to protecting car dealerships over 5,000 direct jobs and 10,000+ indirect jobs for Texans. Especially if Tesla goes next door to New Mexico which passed it's "Tesla bill" last year.

I wish. The NM bill died in committee.
Oliver Barrett