Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Access to V9 Software is Weeks Away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s highly-anticipated Software Version 9 is “not right yet,” according to Chief Executive Elon Musk, who tweeted that he’s been running the update in his own car.

Still, “advanced early access users” are expected to receive the new software “in a week or two,” then the release will be “more broadly” available by the end of the month, he said.

It seems the company may be slightly behind on the goal Musk stated during Tesla’s Q2 2018 earnings call to deliver to early access users in late-August or early-September, then a wide rollout in September. It’s not apparent in Musk’s tweet how “not right” the software is and exactly how broadly the software will be made available.

Speaking during the Q2 earnings call, Musk said:

“We’re hoping to get that out to early access program in about four weeks and then broadly in September. That’s the hardcore focus right now, and that will certainly include some significant advancements in autonomy. And then once that’s out and stable, I think that could be a good time to work on the coast-to-coast drive.”

Software Version 9 is an important release, the most significant overhaul in years. It will introduce the first features of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system. The UI for the Model S and Model X is also expected to be updated.

TMC Member Jason Hughes (wk057) has been able to tinker with an alpha dev build of Version 9 and has shared a few details this week, including a mysterious “Drive On Nav” feature related to Autopilot.

Hughes also confirmed a fun new feature from the software update – the addition of classic Atari games like Asteroids and Pole Position that can be played on the car’s screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, is anyone even surprised that this is yet another deadline that is not met? Not trolling or anything but expectation management at Tesla could use some work. Unfortunately, this will be picked up by the press again that they don't make another deadline.
For me personally, I've always assumed that I will be happy if we get it by the end of the year. Anything sooner is even better.

Reactions: DOCAL
Honestly, is anyone even surprised that this is yet another deadline that is not met? Not trolling or anything but expectation management at Tesla could use some work. Unfortunately, this will be picked up by the press again that they don't make another deadline.
For me personally, I've always assumed that I will be happy if we get it by the end of the year. Anything sooner is even better.
Just curious how you can say that when the "deadline", which wasn't even a deadline but an estimate, isn't even late yet. Then, if it does end up being late he said that would be maybe a week or two. Are we that obsessed with this stuff that a week is going to matter? And THAT hasn't even happened yet. I just don't get it.

Dan

Reactions: IdaX and spectrum
This is a complete non-issue but of course the shorts will spin it as another case of Tesla and Elon "missing" a "promise". He said September right? Today is the 5th. 25 more days to go. Absolute contrived negativism but hey, what do I know? This is so old and tiresome.
Dan

Well, yeah, but previously he said "August". Remember?

Tesla’s version 9 software update is coming in August with first ‘full self-driving features’, says Elon Musk

It does look cool, though. Presumably we'll have it by the end of the year.

So...for the folks that dont like the new UI....can one choose not to do the "upgrade"?

Yes, you can opt not to upgrade. but then you don't get the new features. And once they make the design switch, you won't be getting any new features of bug fixes as long as you don't install the update and therefore get the new design.
I don't like the look of it either at the moment. Feeling the design with popups is so 90s. It might work on the Model 3 landscape screen, but I don't see the use of it on a portrait screen. But I guess the only option is to get used to it. Not much we can do about it once they made up their mind...

But on the other hand, wouldn't it be awesome if we could have some skins to choose from how we want the data presented to us?

Absolutely this. People that have been around a while know that the date quoted is very unlikely to actually be hit. However, new owners might not know this and will be disappointed, and of course the press and shorts will spin it around like crazy.

Reactions: APotatoGod
It's in his car, perhaps others....presumably by August, so he's good. Really, does a week or two weeks really matter that much? How 'bout when it does come out it does what it's designed to do.

Yeah, but in January 2017 he told us we'd see FSD features DEFINITELY within 6 months:

Elon Musk on Twitter

So it's not "a few weeks". It's more like 18+ months. Just sayin'. Still think we're close now given the leaks we've seen. But I've owned Teslas since early 2013 and I don't ever recall Elon hitting a deadline. Generally he's YEARS late.

Reactions: timvracer
I understand the sarcasm, but Tesla is hardly new anymore. They can't use the excuse of being a startup no more...
Tesla Motors started in 2003 and 15 years later we have Fremont & GigaFactory.
Which is exactly why after a decade (2008-2018) There are many other competitors to the Roadster, Model S, Model X and the Model 3.
Can you please help me out and list these competitive offering?

thanks for the help/information.

• Funny
Reactions: Mobius484
Tesla Motors started in 2003 and 15 years later we have Fremont & GigaFactory.
Which is exactly why after a decade (2008-2018) There are many other competitors to the Roadster, Model S, Model X and the Model 3.
Can you please help me out and list these competitive offering?

thanks for the help/information.
I fail to see how those two points are related. If I'm the only one creating a certain product I'm forever a startup?
Being a startup is just a mode of operation. With 30.000 employees worldwide, this is no longer just a startup, but an established company.

I fail to see how those two points are related. If I'm the only one creating a certain product I'm forever a startup?
Being a startup is just a mode of operation. With 30.000 employees worldwide, this is no longer just a startup, but an established company.
so what?
avoiding telling me of the "other offerings" Making tens of millions per year, can you please list a few competitors?

why complain, go buy Nissan, Renault, BMW, Merc they never miss deadlines if that is so important to you.