Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk tweets, traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts are in testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
upload_2018-12-9_14-38-48.png

The last part is pure hype but still very nice to know that they are working on these features. Good to know that these features have reached the development stage of testing. It is nice to get an update. Of course, development testing could take awhile, so I don't think we can say when these features will reach public release yet.

View attachment 359583

The last part is pure hype but still very nice to know that they are working on these features. Good to know that these features have reached the development stage of testing. It is nice to get an update. Of course, development testing could take awhile, so I don't think we can say when these features will reach public release yet.

It's true.*

* Limited to people who work from home.

Nota bene the addendum minutes later:
"Full self-driving option is required with the Tesla designed hardware 3 computer. This is a simple plug in replacement for the NVidia computer, but has over 10X the image processing ability."

Putting "soon" in context, retrofitting current vehicles with HW.v3 is not expected until next summer so we'll be lucky to get our mitts on this feature before Xmas 2019 ... nevertheless it is good to hear that some major progress is happening at last.

Anhoo we need a a video of this thing in action, which maybe can be used to substitute the 2016 fake still running in the Tesla showrooms?

lol Elon yet again making his customers dance like puppets. Level 5 in acouple months? Lmao..He's not even being coy about it anymore.

Oops sorry..just came back from exercising and sweated out my daily intake. Guess i need a higher dose, brb.

Yes, like i was saying Tesla is decades ahead of the entire competition and no one is even close to general solution to autonomy but Tesla.
Its amazing how every other company has their head buried in the sand saying "it will take 30 years" while Elon might do it in 3 months.
The greatest achievement in the history of mankind up there with landing a man on the moon and its happening NEXT YEAR!

What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
These are your words, Elon never said level 5 in a few months. He said traffic lights, roundabouts and stop signs soon. Most likely still level 2.

That's if you ignore his other statements and view this in a vacuum.
Oh yea of little faith, why doest though doubt?

"The other car companies. I don’t wanna sound overconfident, but I would be very surprised if any of the car companies exceeded Tesla in self-driving, in getting to full self-driving. You know, I think we’ll get to full self-driving next year."

3xZVVvo.png

Still you did misquote him. Elon said technical able to drive a car by itself to the customer (implied level 4) in a year. You said level 5 in a couple of months.

Misquote him? What misquote do you see here?

"I think we’ll get to full self-driving next year."

FSD according to elon is Level 5. He classified it Level 5 in his conference call in 2016. "Driving by itself to customers" is NOT level 4. That's level 5 because there is no conditions or criteria laid out or even implied that it will only work in a particular city or environmental conditions. The opposite however is true, as Elon is highly against something working in one particular city or route.

"You can definitely make things work like in one particular city or something like that by special-casing it, but in order to work, you know, all around the world in all these different countries...You really have to have a generalized solution. As a generalized solution, we’re on track to do that next year. So I don’t know. I don’t think anyone else is on track to do it next year."

Elon when talking about self delivery takes you back to his previous statement of summon from across the country.
So why is it that you have no faith?

Dq24VaxWoAAczot.jpg

Misquote him? What misquote do you see here?

FSD according to elon is Level 5. He classified it Level 5 in his conference call in 2016. "Driving by itself to customers" is NOT level 4. That's level 5 because there is no conditions or criteria laid out or even implied that it will only work in a particular city or environmental conditions. The opposite however is true, as Elon is highly against something working in one particular city or route.

Elon when talking about self delivery takes you back to his previous statement of summon from across the country.
So why is it that you have no faith?

Dq24VaxWoAAczot.jpg
Elon clearly underestimated the problem back in late 2016. No doubts about that. They did not have the right team to solve it back then.

All his latest tweets now estimate end of 2019 as the earliest date where self-driving to a different place without a driver will be technically possible. He said in a year, and next year. He could still be wrong, he has apologized for the previous delay. Elon's statements are quite different from your statements of 2 months, not sure where you got that from.

I agree that a generalized level 5 solution that works everywhere is the ultimate end goal. But that does not mean the first customer to get his car autonomously driven from Tesla to his house will be in some rural mountain area 3 hours of drive away. Somehow people always assume the toughest scenario first, instead of focusing on the simpler scenarios first before worrying too much about the end goal.

The first autonomous car delivery will likely happen in a whitelisted area in California to a house roughly 10 minutes away from Tesla (level 4). If that is technically possible in 1 year, we won't see this happening before earliest January 2020. Then iterate towards longer distances, harder roads, increase volume etc until you are at level 5 and this is the standard way of delivery, which may happen some time during in 2022.

Still Elon didn't lie, but people have a strange way of putting words into his mouth. When he says A, people interpret B-C-D etc...

We know Elon uses the most advanced version of the development software in his personal car. I wonder if this explains his overly optimistic tweets. He is experiencing the most advanced version of the software that is able to do things that the public cannot do yet. Based on the tweet in the OP, his car is probably stopping at red lights and stop signs already. Same goes for his tweet about NOA. His car, with the most advanced development version of NOA, probably is doing lane changes without driver input. So he is thinking "WOW, the development software is doing great. I think the public will be able to get this in "3-6 months". He is not seeing the version that the public gets that is more watered down for safety reasons.