Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E is a Gamechanger - My Opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like Ford and have owned many. Don't assume quality and decent fit and finish from the first run of Mach E's. The 2020 Escape has a very low end "plastic" interior. It is real step back and not well received by the press. The car itself is decent. Similarly, the all new Explorer suffers from a cheap interior. The same is not true of the Lincoln sibling, but both suffer from an extremely bad launch. Major initial quality problems. Ford will get it right in a few years. An friend who is a Lincoln exec drove the E extensively and really likes it. He will not talk specifics.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle and MARKM3
I like Ford and have owned many. Don't assume quality and decent fit and finish from the first run of Mach E's. The 2020 Escape has a very low end "plastic" interior. It is real step back and not well received by the press. The car itself is decent. Similarly, the all new Explorer suffers from a cheap interior. The same is not true of the Lincoln sibling, but both suffer from an extremely bad launch. Major initial quality problems. Ford will get it right in a few years. An friend who is a Lincoln exec drove the E extensively and really likes it. He will not talk specifics.
True, but that Escape also starts at $24k, their Ranger got a Ten Best from Wards so they are capable of somewhat good quality:
2019 Wards 10 Best Interiors Nominee: Ford Ranger

When you find out more let us know, that is exciting

E-tron is a joke. Same with Chevy Bolt.

Mach E gets 150kw supercharging capability, but to get 350 it's thicker gauge wires and better battery cooling. Not like it's reinventing the wheel, and one of the main reasons the older Tesla's can't accept the higher supercharging speed.

2020-Ford-Mustang-Mach-e-X_9.jpg

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E First Look | Kelley Blue Book

good article

I want to first preface this by explaining my ownership experience with my Model 3, my first EV, and share some of my thoughts since having the car for a year and a half. I think everyone on the forums can share in my opinion on the car and overall outlook. I absolutely love my model 3, and it has been one of the best cars I've ever owned and driven. However, there are several variables about owning a model 3 that have started to change my opinion about Tesla and the future outlook. Tesla is not really known for the car quality they build, but moreover a technology company and I'm seeing that part of the company become less valuable the longer I own the car. Let me explain:

1) Autopilot is awesome, but I find myself only using it roughly 10% of the time I drive. The nag every 10-15 seconds, and the fact that on non highway roads you're limited to the speed limit or less - have me just driving the car - and it is a blast to drive. On long road trips, using autopilot causes me to feel tired and I find myself driving for majority of the trip. Overall, the value of autopilot to me isn't really that great. The model 3 is a long ways from autonomy, at least 5 years away in my opinion from FSD.

2) The interior is holding up well over the past year, but there are constantly squeaks and rattles that annoy me and something I'm not use to from legacy automakers. The car build quality is not to par to other manufactures, but that is OK. I knew that going into it. Tesla is more of a technology company than a car company.

3) Having drive two hours away to the nearest service center for warranty work has been a pain over the last year, but I knew that going into ownership. It is annoying when it is over minor squeaks and rattles, but having a service center close by would be nice. Tesla service is not that great either, and the service center is always bumping full. They don't even do state inspections.

4) The SC network is very nice, but it has become less and less important to me now that I have driven an EV for a year. With most destinations I go to not having a SC, I find myself having to find wall outlets and third party charging networks to make traveling in the model 3 viable. In addition to having a home charger and a work charger, the SC network just doesn't add any value to me anymore. I had supercharging fever with my first EV, but since I own one now the value of that has dropped dramatically.

So where does the Mustang Mach E come into all of this? Well since the release of the Mach E three months ago, Ford has really garnered my attention with their EV offering. I was always under the impression that Tesla is 7-10 year ahead of all legacy automakers in the EV space, but wow was I wrong. Ford's first attempt at an EV is not only amazing, but it is downright genius and is a serious contender to those looking at purchasing a model Y. I have never owned a Ford in my life - but the Mustang Mach E checks all the boxes (range, performance, tech, design, service, etc.) and it has me seriously considering Ford's Mustang Mach E in a few years when it is time for an upgrade.

The Mustang Mach E with 300 miles will cost $45,000 MSRP after the tax credit. A model y similarly equipped will cost $53,000. The technology and design of the Mach E is almost to par with a Model Y, so I have to give credit where credit is due. Props Ford for an outstanding first full EV!
Well...at least with a ford you know what’s wrong with it up front since they took the time to circle it.

Well of course he likes it. Parent company feeds his lot, I say conflict of interest.

I’m not saying Tesla is perfect (seriously, they aren’t) but having seen a few items on this vehicle really doesn’t seem impressive particularly in usable space for the form factor.

21_FRD_MCH_48340_XL.jpg.renditions.original.png

Touchscreen looks big an pretty intuitive.

Not to me. You have a giant dial in the middle of the bottom of the screen, meaning it's going to be tricky to hit that Menu button and others around it. Also, vertical screens are just a bad idea. This image bothers me greatly. Our eyes don't work that way, and that's why almost certainly any Model S/X refresh will feature a widescreen display like the Model 3. In addition, Tesla showed the world how to be ergonomic with a "gear" lever. Reaching down for a dial is not that.

Of course, different strokes etc, but Tesla got the screen exactly right in the Model 3, and the Mach-e looks dreadful, ergonomically.

To each their own, looks good. At least they're putting a big screen in it, and everyone's initial impressions that have sat in the car seem to like it. I wasn't a big fan of the Model 3 screen but it grew on me and I like it now.

Some people like that orientation better for splitting maps/controls 50/50 without it moving further away from you, vs the horizontal alignment of the model 3 screen. Part of why people didn't like the new software update on S/X that gave it the model 3 design ui.

The mach-e is to the tesla what Android was to iPhone. Ultimately, Apple was way ahead of the game, just like Tesla, and like Ford, Google saw the writing on the wall and understood that they had to follow the new paradigm shift, but it took Android a long time to catch up and be truly competitive with the iPhone and we'll see the same thing here with the mach-e, Tesla is still ahead of the game, but Ford has shown that they are starting down the path to competitiveness and ultimately we'll all be the better for it. Certainly, I don't expect the mach-e to have knight rider voice mods any time soon :D

• Disagree
Reactions: iamnid and PJFW8
To each their own, looks good. At least they're putting a big screen in it, and everyone's initial impressions that have sat in the car seem to like it. I wasn't a big fan of the Model 3 screen but it grew on me and I like it now.

Some people like that orientation better for splitting maps/controls 50/50 without it moving further away from you, vs the horizontal alignment of the model 3 screen. Part of why people didn't like the new software update on S/X that gave it the model 3 design ui.

The problem with the vertical split is that the lower portion of the screen is too low, or if the screen is moved up to combat this - then the top part is too high. Pros and cons to both, perhaps, but there's no question/doubt that for me, ergonomically, wide-screen is the way to go.

In addition, with the wheel in the middle of the screen, you can't exactly put the maps there, etc. Actual un-molested real estate is small on that screen.

The mach-e is to the tesla what Android was to iPhone. Ultimately, Apple was way ahead of the game, just like Tesla, and like Ford, Google saw the writing on the wall and understood that they had to follow the new paradigm shift, but it took Android a long time to catch up and be truly competitive with the iPhone and we'll see the same thing here with the mach-e, Tesla is still ahead of the game, but Ford has shown that they are starting down the path to competitiveness and ultimately we'll all be the better for it. Certainly, I don't expect the mach-e to have knight rider voice mods any time soon :D

Aww come on they may instead of night rider put the horse neigh when you start it up xD. Good perspective though.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The problem with the vertical split is that the lower portion of the screen is too low, or if the screen is moved up to combat this - then the top part is too high. Pros and cons to both, perhaps, but there's no question/doubt that for me, ergonomically, wide-screen is the way to go.

In addition, with the wheel in the middle of the screen, you can't exactly put the maps there, etc. Actual un-molested real estate is small on that screen.

Yes I will agree with you on that, but it's a 15.5" touch screen. I would love to sit in it to see what would work better. I think with this layout, it's a good start for Ford. There is a whole lot more they could have done wrong, but this is a great first design. I especially like the screen in between the wheel. It allows them to put more info on the 15" screen and leave driving information on the dash screen. I would love to have a full screen maps without having any other information in the way.

good article

Indeed, it mentions things like the quicker AWD versions will have a range of only about 240-250 miles- compared to 315 on the Model Y. This despite having a nearly 25% larger battery.

Also those aren't even coming until mid next year.

In fact none of the versions manage to match the 315 on the Y- with only 1 (the RWD Premium) getting to 300, and the rest in the 210-270 range....let alone the 322 on the Model 3.

And once you knock out the tax credit (which will be gone after Ford sells in the US about 20% of the cars Tesla hopes to sell in 2020 alone) it's priced about $4-10k higher than a comparable 3 or Y.

Interestingly, even WITH the tax credit the higher end cars fall a bit short compared to say a 3... the article says the GT will be $60,500 with a 0-60 of "less than 4" (so 3.9 likely).

Same as the rollout # of the LR AWD that sells for under 50k and has roughly 30% more range.

Hell the 3.5 0-60 (with rollout) LR AWD with boost is still cheaper than that Mach E WITH the tax break for only the Ford.

As I say- they'll still sell all they can make- because the demand for EVs that don't suck is much higher than the supply and Tesla at full tilt it gonna top out somewhere in the 500,000-600,000 range this year... so the ~10% of that a legacy vendor will be able to spit out will get eaten up as long as that's true (and the tax credit sticks around to make pricing halfway competitive).

But they're pretty clearly way behind Tesla on the most of the actual EV tech involved in the vehicle- needing much larger batteries to still offer lower range and generally lower performance for the $.

I WILL give them kudos for offering magnetic shocks, something I'd LOVE Tesla to do. On the other hand they're only offering it in one specific trim, the one that's priced even higher than the $60,500 one (no official price per your link) and not even coming out for another 16 months or more.