Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-e positive reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love to see it. Ford has been doing a great job with its new model lines lately. Charging infrastructure seems like it needs some development, and I don’t know what to make of the C&D article comment that it can only charge 80% of range overnight on a 240v. Expect to see these all over the place in a year though.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
the effect of marketing money:

Absolutely that is part of it which is why you have to watch several reviews nowadays to get the real story. From what I have seen, build quality and the drive are really solid. The main pain points are lack of the Supercharger style network and an "auto-pilot" (which is coming in ~6 months).

This is good for the consumer with more products coming to market and competing.

Enough for me to stop reading.

How much does Doug know about cars? He is a used car sales person, making car reviews with no real content.

Have you seen Doug destroying a perfectly working Audi... and put this video proudly on his YouTube web page !!!

I would wait for Bjørn Nyland, for example, to make a real review, in particular regarding efficiency and charging speed.

There's already a lot of Mach E reviews by the pro-Tesla YouTubers (that are somehow car experts to you), and they love the Mach E.

the effect of marketing money:

I like the additional small display in front of the driver. This would be very practical to show the map, or rear and side view cameras when driving.

2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-38.jpg

I hope it's successful because competition is good and I like Doug but the reviews kill me. Will people criticize the same things? People ripped on Tesla for the phone key yet Doug and others love it when Ford does it. Driver profiles? Tesla has had them for years. Flush door handles? Tesla had them first but it was a gimmick and just something else to break. Your phone showing you where to charge? Seriously, the Nav should have all this and we all have PlugShare. When Tesla releases a car and says features are coming, they are ripped but Ford can do it with the driver assistance and it's perfectly cool. I could go on...

Finally, people try to dismiss the range and charging network claiming no one drives 250 miles a day so there is no range anxiety. The reality is people don't drive that far in one day but they also don't fill their gas cars every night. You charge up, drive 20-40 miles a day and then when it starts to get low, you charge up again. When your down to 75 miles, temp plays a roll and if you suddenly have to take an unplanned trip, range becomes an issue. I've owned 3 other EVs and the public charging infrastructure is horrible. You simply can't ever count on it. The Tesla supercharger experience is a game changer and any review that glosses over it is making a huge mistake.

Hardware reviewers generally dislike Apple. It's not that there's anything wrong with the hardware. It's that Apple threatens the business model of hardware reviewers. Head to head comparisons are the bread and butter of review sites, but head to head comparisons of Apple hardware with Dell or Samsung hardware miss Apple's customer experience advantage and aren't that useful. Reviewers don't want to tell people to just go buy Apple, because that would make the reviewer irrelevant. So hardware reviewers have a little bit of bias to play up the competition and play down the leading brand to keep things interesting.

Tesla has a bit of the same effect. The Tesla experience and ecosystem is just different from (and better than) regular cars. A head to head comparison table of a Tesla versus other cars isn't that informative. As with Apple, reviewers have an incentive to play up the competition and play down the leading brand.

So that's just a general caveat with reviews. Over the next few years, lots of EVs are going to come out, and they're all going to get great reviews, but there's more to the Tesla advantage than what's in the reviews that you should keep in mind.

I hope it's successful because competition is good and I like Doug but the reviews kill me. Will people criticize the same things? People ripped on Tesla for the phone key yet Doug and others love it when Ford does it. Driver profiles? Tesla has had them for years. Flush door handles? Tesla had them first but it was a gimmick and just something else to break. Your phone showing you where to charge? Seriously, the Nav should have all this and we all have PlugShare. When Tesla releases a car and says features are coming, they are ripped but Ford can do it with the driver assistance and it's perfectly cool. I could go on...

Finally, people try to dismiss the range and charging network claiming no one drives 250 miles a day so there is no range anxiety. The reality is people don't drive that far in one day but they also don't fill their gas cars every night. You charge up, drive 20-40 miles a day and then when it starts to get low, you charge up again. When your down to 75 miles, temp plays a roll and if you suddenly have to take an unplanned trip, range becomes an issue. I've owned 3 other EVs and the public charging infrastructure is horrible. You simply can't ever count on it. The Tesla supercharger experience is a game changer and any review that glosses over it is making a huge mistake.

don’t forget that everything seems to have a full glass roof these days...

Reactions: Ruffles
Here is a not so positive review from TechCrunch:
The 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E disappoints in our first drive – TechCrunch

I also noticed that in most review videos, Mach-E displays range and SOC% that amount to about 200 miles or less. When I pointed to this at a Mach-E forum along with (2) a questionable road control (per TechCrunch), (3) significantly smaller cargo compared to MY, (4) no towing capability, (5) non-competitive price without tax credit, which expires for Ford in about 70,000 cars, (6) low-production volume plans, which looks like about 20-30k vehicles for US market only in 2021, (7) poor efficiency which adversely affects the charging time, (8) the possibility that Ford will be acquired by Tesla, (9) Fords automotive margins of negative 8%... and a few more things....
I was banned on that forum! :mad::eek:

After watching reviews I now actually think that Mach-E is an overhyped Ford econobox derived from Ford Focus with optics taken from Mustang. It goes the way of Chevy Bolt on my book. It's kind of sad.

The Mach-E will grab the attention of non-EV buyers and Ford fans. The smart ones will compare it to Tesla and likely choose Tesla in the end so competition actually can potentially help Tesla. I like the Mach-E (a lot), but I wouldn't choose it over a Tesla.
This is too dismissive of the Ford.

TBH, this is only the start. Tesla has to deal with the quality issues on their cars. Ford will keep them honest.

This is too dismissive of the Ford.

TBH, this is only the start. Tesla has to deal with the quality issues on their cars. Ford will keep them honest.

Ford has never been in the quality top scorers ... ever. It made a lot of terrible design and quality control mistakes through its history, and I will never ever buy a Ford vehicle because in great part to its quality issues. And I hasn't visited a SC in 16 months owing my M3. ... but Tesla paint is crap (though Honda paint is even worse).

Reactions: 30seconds
I've watched probably 6-8 Mach-E review videos since the embargo lifted yesterday morning and it's pretty impressive overall. We are all drawn to the efficiency, range, power, and automation prowess of Tesla, but many automotive buyers are going to be tempted away by simple everyday usability features such as heated steering wheel (which may or may not be coming to MY/M3), an instrument panel directly ahead, cargo area cover, cross-traffic warnings, foot activated liftgate, a few more tactile controls (such as the physical volume knob), and Android Auto / Apple Car Play integration. These are common features that many buyers are used to getting and affect day to day usability possibly more than quicker acceleration, longer range (for people that don't drive as much) or dropping $10k for full-self driving that's still in beta.

I would actually consider the Mach-E Premium but still prefer the Model Y overall (as does my better half, whom is hesitant to consider the Mach E or Polestar 2).

On the other hand, as noted, hopefully the rapidly increasing competition from the likes of the legacy ICEmakers whom are finally waking up to real electrification will help push Tesla to deal with some of these feature deficiencies, as well as quality concerns, ASAP.

Elon better hurry and get the CyberTruck out before Ford gets an EV F-150... or it may be game over in the electric pickup truck market. The F-150 is the best selling vehicle (car or truck) in the U.S. The CyberTruck is kind of goofy looking and will appeal to a much smaller market.

There are people who will buy Ford even if they need to pedal it or burn coal to drive. Based on what I see with Mach-E, the only thing that Ford really does well is commercial and promotions. If they run 37% behind Tesla in efficiency now with a smaller Mach-E, no way they will be any more efficient by slapping a battery on their existing F-150 frame. In reality that means their F-150 EV will be 30%+ more expensive than the CT, more likely in high $70k for the same range of a $50k CT. But the main dilemma for Ford will be the rest of their F-150 trucks that look identical to EV, but priced significantly below it (I guess including Raptor).

If Tesla delivers on the promise of price and specs of their CT lineup, they will have no competition in foreseeable future.

On the other hand, as noted, hopefully the rapidly increasing competition from the likes of the legacy ICEmakers whom are finally waking up to real electrification will help push Tesla to deal with some of these feature deficiencies, as well as quality concerns, ASAP.

The competition is NOT increasing for Tesla. If all that Ford plans is to sell 50,000 Mach-Es next year worldwide, and some reviews already tell that it maybe an overly optimistic expectation, ... and Hyundai/Kia selling very limited cars and very limited places, GM - the king of CGI and all but forgotten Bolt, Nissan that sells electric Versa for years in equally unimpressive volumes, Audi with its gentle acceleration and underwhelming range... and I could continue ... if all that is a "rapidly increasing competition", Tesla can keep selling their cars with totally crappy QA and even without much improvements in millions for years to come!

The only real competitor (to model S) got their little price war that Elon ended with a single twit 69,420.

The only old OEM that got serious about EVs is VW, and they smartly starting to occupy ultra-premium (Taycan), higher-end premium (future Audi) and low end mass market (ID.3 and ID.4). All I see now is that in 5 years Tesla and VW will split the market and Ford and GM (and I completely forgot about Dodge/Fiat) may go the way of Studebaker soon after that.

I know in the Tesla forum everyone talks about range and efficiency all the time but the average car buyer doesn't even ask those questions.

I don't like ford but the mach E has a lot of things going for it. If it had a tesla logo on it you guys would all be defending it. That interior is nicer than my 3 by a lot. In my opinion it looks a lot better than the Y. The tech looks good to. I want to hate it but if I was in the market for an electric crossover suv to go with my 3 right now... I would consider this over the Y.

Do I think it's a tesla killer... No. I do expect it to sell but only if the dealer network pushes it. Ford doesn't seem to be committed to EVs. I doubt I will see many of these on the road.

GM is going to be the biggest competition for tesla not ford. GM is spending 27billion though 2025 to develop electric vehicles and plans 40% of GM sales to be electric. That's a push. In 2025 I expect GM to be selling more electric vehicles than tesla. Tesla only has 4 vehicles. We will have 5 or 6 maybe in 2025. If you look around while driving people don't all want to buy the same car.

GM aims to take on Tesla with electric vehicle push

Last edited: