Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Navigation (Traffic redirect)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my MX on May 7th and I enjoyed the features, on the 4th day around 10:00 am just as I was getting in may car to go to work I saw this image ( see attached) popped up on my screen and I hit navigate to work, the navigation showed a very good way to work.
this never came back even on a very busy time. about 3 days later a new update (8.1) was available to download, and the car is now on version 8.1. still no sign of that portion.
any one know how I can get this back? or was it only on previous software version?

Attachments

• unspecified.jpg
    unspecified.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Sorry, I have never seen that before on our X. That would be a nice feature. I manually select work or home when driving back and forth to view traffic along my route but it never once suggested an alternative.

It shows up from time to time in my S (also with newest firmware), but only on the route that the nav system would like to go. Which is not the one that I prefer, so I don't use it that much.

I think you can get it to pop up more often if you set the navigation settings in Apps to a shorter time. I can't remember what the default is, but I just set mine to reroute if I can save more than 1 minute.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
It shows up from time to time in my S (also with newest firmware), but only on the route that the nav system would like to go. Which is not the one that I prefer, so I don't use it that much.

I think you can get it to pop up more often if you set the navigation settings in Apps to a shorter time. I can't remember what the default is, but I just set mine to reroute if I can save more than 1 minute.

I usually set mine to only redirect if I save more than 15 minutes, that way I am not constantly prompted to redirect. However, if you have a long route you take often, this may come in handy with changing traffic conditions.

I usually set mine to only redirect if I save more than 15 minutes, that way I am not constantly prompted to redirect. However, if you have a long route you take often, this may come in handy with changing traffic conditions.

I have mine set to 1 minute and very rarely get redirected (1-2 times for the last 3 months), but I suspect that very much depend on where you are in the world, the traffic situation and how long your commute is.

I guess the OP can try some different settings and see where the sweet spot is for his type of conditions.

I had something similar pop up on my screen, even though I wasn't using navigation! I got in my car after work ended to drive home, and even though I hadn't yet started driving or turned on the navigation it told me that my normal route home was slow. I thought that was pretty cool. For reference, my drive home is normally traffic free, but on this day there was an accident on one of the highways.

Now, the alternative route that it suggested was pretty awful. But I knew that. So I fired up waze on my phone and got a great route home that avoided the traffic congestion.

I had something similar pop up on my screen, even though I wasn't using navigation! I got in my car after work ended to drive home, and even though I hadn't yet started driving or turned on the navigation it told me that my normal route home was slow. I thought that was pretty cool. For reference, my drive home is normally traffic free, but on this day there was an accident on one of the highways.

Now, the alternative route that it suggested was pretty awful. But I knew that. So I fired up waze on my phone and got a great route home that avoided the traffic congestion.

I have never seen the OP's message pop up. I usually have Waze up on my phone as well. The X's navigation isn't that reliable for the fastest route here in the boonies! Once, my car wanted me to take an incredibly circuitous route which would double the time to get there. Fortunately, I knew the way but was trying to figure out how much battery I needed. I am wondering if maybe my car somehow knew that I wouldn't have signal for part of the time. It's a minor kink, but I do wish Waze was the main navigation tool! I will remain hopeful that there can be some kind of licensing deal with the Waze people...

I have never seen the OP's message pop up. I usually have Waze up on my phone as well. The X's navigation isn't that reliable for the fastest route here in the boonies! Once, my car wanted me to take an incredibly circuitous route which would double the time to get there. Fortunately, I knew the way but was trying to figure out how much battery I needed. I am wondering if maybe my car somehow knew that I wouldn't have signal for part of the time. It's a minor kink, but I do wish Waze was the main navigation tool! I will remain hopeful that there can be some kind of licensing deal with the Waze people...
Waze is now owned by Google/Alphabet, so it would seem likely that integration into the X would come some day.

However, I called Tesla support a month ago to report a navigation issue (navigation keeps trying to make me make an illegal turn) and they told me that they use garmin for their navigation, even though the maps are provided by Google. Not sure if they are mistaken, but if that's the case, then Waze integration may be less likely.

Waze is now owned by Google/Alphabet, so it would seem likely that integration into the X would come some day.

However, I called Tesla support a month ago to report a navigation issue (navigation keeps trying to make me make an illegal turn) and they told me that they use garmin for their navigation, even though the maps are provided by Google. Not sure if they are mistaken, but if that's the case, then Waze integration may be less likely.

I always use WAZE on longer trips. I made a roadtrip in France and Italy. One day I was 3 km away form the supercharger in Affi (Italy). The Tesla navi plotted a 36 km Trip to reach the SC. Later I tried it once again, same result.

The maps by google are just on the CID for you to see.
IC maps and actual routing is by navigon because Google prohibits to use their maps for navigation by third parties or some such.
This is why navigtion in Tesla is pathetically bad and looks so behind at times.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
The maps by google are just on the CID for you to see.
IC maps and actual routing is by navigon because Google prohibits to use their maps for navigation by third parties or some such.
This is why navigtion in Tesla is pathetically bad and looks so behind at times.

Yep, hard for people to tell that the actual directions come from Navigon, which is owned by Garmin. They are available offline without an internet connection which is/was key at the time, but they are not optimal and even if a new road exist on your very up to date Google Map view on main screen, the IC instructions from Navigon won't know about it until the maps are updated. I've had maps updated 1 time in 3 years of ownership on our older S.

Afraid we are stuck with this for now in current generation of S and X. Maybe the 3 will just use a singular system or different provider, then future redesigned S/X versions.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Afraid we are stuck with this for now in current generation of S and X. Maybe the 3 will just use a singular system or different provider, then future redesigned S/X versions.
Actually I don't see why current generation S/X cannot be changed.
It's a 100% software solution, in fact they needed to play some ugly tricks to make it all work.
Replacing it with something else should be very doable (I am not saying it's trivial, but if say model 3 has a different solution, migrating it to S/X should not be too bad).

Yep, hard for people to tell that the actual directions come from Navigon, which is owned by Garmin. They are available offline without an internet connection which is/was key at the time, but they are not optimal and even if a new road exist on your very up to date Google Map view on main screen, the IC instructions from Navigon won't know about it until the maps are updated. I've had maps updated 1 time in 3 years of ownership on our older S.

That would explain why the maps show a new road I frequently take, but the navigation gets confused when I'm on that road.